Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 01:27
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Feb 12, 2014

Hi guys,

I'm interested to know your opinions about a professional email signature for a freelance translator. Signature template (like what information should be include and how should the signature be formatted) and any apps that you know that can handle multiple signatures in a mail client (gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail...)?

Thank you,

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:27
French to English
my signature: Feb 12, 2014

name, number, a couple of appropriate quotes and a link to a language-related website I translated that I'm particularly proud of.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
My email signature Feb 12, 2014

This is what my email signature looks like:

In Outlook I have this one set for all new emails, and for replies I have one without the images.

Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 01:27
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Employment Feb 12, 2014

Let's say you're currently working as a in-house translator for a famous company (the company is not a translation agency) then should you include that into the signature? or in other words, if you're not a full time freelancer should you include your current employment details in the signature as a mean of self promotion?

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:27
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
mine is similar. Feb 12, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

This is what my email signature looks like:

In Outlook I have this one set for all new emails, and for replies I have one without the images.

Mohmed Salah

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:27
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In-house Feb 12, 2014

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

Let's say you're currently working as a in-house translator for a famous company (the company is not a translation agency) then should you include that into the signature? or in other words, if you're not a full time freelancer should you include your current employment details in the signature as a mean of self promotion?

I worked 'in-house' for a company in Brazil and to communicate with their clients I used their e-mail standards.

As a freelancer I had my professional emails.

Two things appart.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
An e-mail signature is not a CV! Feb 12, 2014

You need to be careful!

If you mention in your signature that you work for a company, then the recipients of your e-mails are going to think you are writing on behalf of that company. If it's not a translation agency then it will be confusing for them.

The company could probably sue you for something or other...

If you explain that you work for this company as well as freelancing, then clients will be afraid of you not being available when they need you,
... See more
You need to be careful!

If you mention in your signature that you work for a company, then the recipients of your e-mails are going to think you are writing on behalf of that company. If it's not a translation agency then it will be confusing for them.

The company could probably sue you for something or other...

If you explain that you work for this company as well as freelancing, then clients will be afraid of you not being available when they need you, and will look elsewhere for somebody who may actually in practice turn out to be even less available, but who can at least pick up the phone during normal working hours.
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
no mixing Feb 12, 2014

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

In my country (France) it would be a serious professional misconduct to use any information from one's employer (name, logo, email address, phone number... ) to promote one's freelance business.

Cidra
Cidra
France
English to Arabic
+ ...
e-mail signature! Oct 16, 2016

Hello everybody!
I would like to know if I can put my signature as a freelance translator even if I don't belong to any company!

thank you for your replies

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email signature for freelancer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »