Business cards for translators
Thread poster: Anna Strowe
Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Russian to English
+ ...
Business card basics Feb 21, 2007

Business cards are a good idea. I carry some in my wallet and some in my checkbook. (I also have lots of them in a box in my desk at work.) You might run into a potential client while having a discussion about something quite different. You can then hand this person your business card, which is easier than trying to find a pen and paper to write contact information on. (This also works if you think this person might wish to contact you for reasons unrelated to business and you're quite okay... See more
Business cards are a good idea. I carry some in my wallet and some in my checkbook. (I also have lots of them in a box in my desk at work.) You might run into a potential client while having a discussion about something quite different. You can then hand this person your business card, which is easier than trying to find a pen and paper to write contact information on. (This also works if you think this person might wish to contact you for reasons unrelated to business and you're quite okay with the other person doing so. My niece's first-grade teacher has business cards to pass out to the parents of her students for that reason. They have the school's address and telephone number and her name, also indicating that she teaches first grade.)

The suggestions given are all good. A business card should answer the questions "How can someone contact me?" and "Why would they want to?" It's up to you about how you put this information on your card. You may find it helpful to visit a Chamber of Commerce function and tell people, "How fascinating! Could I get your card for future reference?" That can give you an idea as to what you like and don't like on business cards.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about cost. In all likelihood, the amount you earn from a rather small translation is more than your local print shop charges for lots of business cards. If you like VistaPrint's cards, that's fine. If you don't, by all means spend more to have them the way you like them.
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 02:41
English to Chinese
more vista comment Feb 21, 2007

Sometimes they do offer "free premium business cards", where their advertisement is not printed in the back of your card. I have to point out, however, that their business cards are of ok quality, not a great one. But again, you get what you paid for.

Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:41
German to English
Big fan of VistaPrint Feb 21, 2007

I, too, am a big fan of VistaPrint. I, too, paid a small premium to not have their advertising on the back and instead opted for the phrase: "Thank you for your business!"

Here's a copy of mine (very basic info and one of their standard images) - please note that the poor look to the text is solely due to my scanner - not at all indicative of what I think is the great quality of Vista
... See more
I, too, am a big fan of VistaPrint. I, too, paid a small premium to not have their advertising on the back and instead opted for the phrase: "Thank you for your business!"

Here's a copy of mine (very basic info and one of their standard images) - please note that the poor look to the text is solely due to my scanner - not at all indicative of what I think is the great quality of VistaPrint:
http://www.amipros.com/Urlaub/urlaub.html

Actually, because so much is via email nowadays, probably do not even need business cards, but I do like having them. Besides for personal use, every now and then I do send out flyers or have to send invoice copies per regular mail, and then I'll include them.
Collapse

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny
Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stikers Feb 21, 2007

By the way, anyone know about a good website where I can order stickers for vehicles?

Thank you

Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:41
German to English
Turn your own photos into mini business cards Feb 21, 2007

If you have a flickr photo account you can turn your own photos into cards - your photo goes on one side and then there is room for name, language combination & brief contact details on the other side.
I absolutely love mine and people I've given them to generally go "wow these are really neat". A nice way to personalize your business - especially if you have pictures that relate to your so
... See more
If you have a flickr photo account you can turn your own photos into cards - your photo goes on one side and then there is room for name, language combination & brief contact details on the other side.
I absolutely love mine and people I've given them to generally go "wow these are really neat". A nice way to personalize your business - especially if you have pictures that relate to your source and target countries.

See http://www.moo.com/ for pictures.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Vistaprint cards great BUT they keep sending spam e-mails! Feb 21, 2007

I too ordered some Vistaprint business cards via a flyer that came with Amazon and am delighted with them. I don't often need them but it's really handy when you go to a conference or course to be able to hand them out. I really don't think the Vistaprint ad on the back is a problem, although I probably would have opted not to have it if I'd known that you could! I also ordered some return address labels which are very useful too.

My biggest problem with Vistaprint is the fact that
... See more
I too ordered some Vistaprint business cards via a flyer that came with Amazon and am delighted with them. I don't often need them but it's really handy when you go to a conference or course to be able to hand them out. I really don't think the Vistaprint ad on the back is a problem, although I probably would have opted not to have it if I'd known that you could! I also ordered some return address labels which are very useful too.

My biggest problem with Vistaprint is the fact that I keep on getting advertising messages from them - most days, I would say - trying to promote more products. I've added them to my spam list, but they still keep on coming, even if they do go straight into the spam file.....
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Design your own... Feb 21, 2007

...colour laser print on to good quality paper then laminate onto a lightweight board. I used QuarkXPress but e.g. MS Publisher would do just as well. Crop to size and bingo... all but free.
Good luck
D

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Still in my to-do list Feb 21, 2007

When I went freelance, I was all excited about having my own logo, letterheaded stationary and business cards. Seven years later, I still have none of that and the business is striving, thank you.

I have never really felt that I would get more business with all the frills of a proper setup. However, if I targeted end customers or if I went out more often on business, a card would obviously be a priority, if only not to look too awkward in the start-of-meeting card-swap ritual.
... See more
When I went freelance, I was all excited about having my own logo, letterheaded stationary and business cards. Seven years later, I still have none of that and the business is striving, thank you.

I have never really felt that I would get more business with all the frills of a proper setup. However, if I targeted end customers or if I went out more often on business, a card would obviously be a priority, if only not to look too awkward in the start-of-meeting card-swap ritual.

Anyways, when the urge of owning my own business cards gets too strong, I will not go for cheap ones. I have realised watching American Psycho that business cards are serious stuff...

Happy designing,
Philippe
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
25% Discount exclusively for ProZ.com users Sep 10, 2008

I have made arrangements to be able to offer ProZ.com users a 25% discount on VistaPrint services - this is a 25% discount site wide on any of their printing services.

simply go to www.vistaprint.com/proz and the discount will be applied.

Drew MacFadyen

Stephanie Sirot (X)
Stephanie Sirot (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:41
English to French
+ ...
I also have a business card Sep 11, 2008

Mine has my name, company's logo and name, the languages and services I provide, my phone #, e-mail address and website.

It is very useful for networking. It is definitely more professional than getting a pen and paper.

Stephanie.

GretaIn
GretaIn
Italy
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ideas Aug 29, 2016

Hello everyone
I am just starting as a translator and was thinking of making a website and printing businesscards as well.
I was wondering about what to put on the cards: my idea was to put a logo in the front and on the back the name, profession, email and maybe a QR code to the website..what do you think? any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Forget Vistaprint... Sep 3, 2016

Use Zazzle... they have MUCH nicer designs and are of better quality in my opinion.

http://www.zazzle.com/standard%20businesscards

Semen Akhrameev
Semen Akhrameev  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 15:41
English to Russian
+ ...
My business card Apr 2, 2017

Here is what I provided on my business card:

My logo with language pair
Full name
Title (Self-employed Translator)
Website address
Email address, and
Phone numbers.

I have recently prepared a blog post about business cards for translators. In this post, you will find some more tips about business cards and get links to online resources to cre
... See more
Here is what I provided on my business card:

My logo with language pair
Full name
Title (Self-employed Translator)
Website address
Email address, and
Phone numbers.

I have recently prepared a blog post about business cards for translators. In this post, you will find some more tips about business cards and get links to online resources to create a perfect business card.
http://successfulfreelancetranslator.com/create-perfect-business-card-freelance-translator/
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Business cards for translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »