Best (cheap!) way for 2 translators to work on single TM simultaneously from different locations?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:50
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2016

I still can't find a cheap solution allowing two translators, each working in their own CAT tool, at different locations, to simultaneously access a single translation. I've had a look at MyMemory and TM-Town, but am not particularly impressed. Kilgray's Language Terminal has an interesting feature where non-memoQ users can share a TM stored in the cloud in a Language Terminal account. However, so far this only works if you have memoQ or SDL studio. Also, there is a pretty low max. TM size. Can'... See more
I still can't find a cheap solution allowing two translators, each working in their own CAT tool, at different locations, to simultaneously access a single translation. I've had a look at MyMemory and TM-Town, but am not particularly impressed. Kilgray's Language Terminal has an interesting feature where non-memoQ users can share a TM stored in the cloud in a Language Terminal account. However, so far this only works if you have memoQ or SDL studio. Also, there is a pretty low max. TM size. Can't remember what it is.

I know that the various CAT tools have expensive server products that would allow this (SDL, memoQ, Déjà Vu, etc.), but there must be a cheaper solution for very small teams.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I basically have a potential large job which will have to be split between two or three translators, and it would be ideal if we could all share the same translation memory, from our different CAT tools, from our different countries.

Michael
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:50
English to Italian
Old thread Nov 10, 2016

I was initially going to suggest a web based solution (such as MemSource, which seems to be quite cheap for small groups), but that would mean using web-based tools, but I found this thread, which mig... See more
I was initially going to suggest a web based solution (such as MemSource, which seems to be quite cheap for small groups), but that would mean using web-based tools, but I found this thread, which might be of help: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/277828-how_to_share_a_large_project_between_2_translators_with_sdl_trados.htmlCollapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent find! Nov 10, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I was initially going to suggest a web based solution (such as MemSource, which seems to be quite cheap for small groups), but that would mean using web-based tools, but I found this thread, which might be of help: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/277828-how_to_share_a_large_project_between_2_translators_with_sdl_trados.html

Thanks! Two very interesting options:
1. FarkasAndras: via Dropbox
2. Minh Nguyen: via Teamviewer VPN feature

Will look into them.

I trust both of them, as I have worked with them both on different projects, so one of them is bound to work.

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
NAS Nov 10, 2016

Hi Michael,

How about a local NAS server with internet access? Everything is in tour control and it works fine.

Cheers,

Pieter

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Pieter! Nov 10, 2016

Pieter Beens wrote:

Hi Michael,

How about a local NAS server with internet access? Everything is in tour control and it works fine.

Cheers,

Pieter

Can you expand on this? Btw, the solution would need to be as simple as possible, as the other translator(s) might not be very tech savvy.

Michael

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
English to Spanish
MySQL Nov 10, 2016

Some CAT tools let you use MySQL as database engine.

You can rent a cloud server at GoDaddy.com for US$ 5 per month. Run MySQL on that server and use it to share translation memories. That's the cheapest option you can find.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:50
German to English
+ ...
Take a look at MateCat Nov 11, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I still can't find a cheap solution allowing two translators, each working in their own CAT tool, at different locations, to simultaneously access a single translation. I've had a look at MyMemory and TM-Town, but am not particularly impressed. Kilgray's Language Terminal has an interesting feature where non-memoQ users can share a TM stored in the cloud in a Language Terminal account. However, so far this only works if you have memoQ or SDL studio. Also, there is a pretty low max. TM size. Can't remember what it is.

I know that the various CAT tools have expensive server products that would allow this (SDL, memoQ, Déjà Vu, etc.), but there must be a cheaper solution for very small teams.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I basically have a potential large job which will have to be split between two or three translators, and it would be ideal if we could all share the same translation memory, from our different CAT tools, from our different countries.

Michael

It offers the possibility to split your file between two translators and is complete free of charge as well.

[Edited at 2016-11-11 05:07 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT team projects, maybe? Nov 11, 2016

http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/appendix.TeamProjects.html

Marcus König
Marcus König  Identity Verified
Germany
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Language Terminal Nov 11, 2016

Hi Michael,

Yoiu could use Language Terminal (Kilgray Translation Technologies):

With Language Terminal you can share translation memories, term bases and other resources with colleagues in real time.A colleague working in Trados Studio will be able to see translation memory suggestions you entered in memoQ a moment ago.
https://www.languageterminal.com/

Best
... See more
Hi Michael,

Yoiu could use Language Terminal (Kilgray Translation Technologies):

With Language Terminal you can share translation memories, term bases and other resources with colleagues in real time.A colleague working in Trados Studio will be able to see translation memory suggestions you entered in memoQ a moment ago.
https://www.languageterminal.com/

Best wishes,
Marcus
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
memoQ Cloud Server Nov 11, 2016

Last February I successfully run a huge project with 4 colleagues in mQ cloud server. The first-month trial was completely free, and included one mQ 2015 Project Manager licence!

In theory PM licence is not intended for translators, but I think I remember I could access the file and translate with it anyway. The other translators can use a web interface (not bad at all) or a mQ 2015 for which you can distribute a few free temporary licences.

A bit difficult but not to
... See more
Last February I successfully run a huge project with 4 colleagues in mQ cloud server. The first-month trial was completely free, and included one mQ 2015 Project Manager licence!

In theory PM licence is not intended for translators, but I think I remember I could access the file and translate with it anyway. The other translators can use a web interface (not bad at all) or a mQ 2015 for which you can distribute a few free temporary licences.

A bit difficult but not too difficult to set up and Kilgray's people were always exceptionally helpful and available. I think this is different from Language Terminal though I am not sure if this offer is still on. It's certainly worth checking it out.

I also used a couple of additional months and found it not expensive at all, but this depends on the size of your project.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You're assuming... Nov 11, 2016

I still can't find a cheap solution allowing two translators, each working in their own CAT tool, at different locations, to simultaneously access a single translation.

I order for this to work, all those CAT tools must use the same TM format, or must have the ability to continuously or frequently (and in the background) import/export to e.g. TMX. How likely is it that you're going to get that, to begin with?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
indeed, not very likely Nov 11, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

I still can't find a cheap solution allowing two translators, each working in their own CAT tool, at different locations, to simultaneously access a single translation.

I order for this to work, all those CAT tools must use the same TM format, or must have the ability to continuously or frequently (and in the background) import/export to e.g. TMX. How likely is it that you're going to get that, to begin with?

However, in this specific situation I will be working with only one other translator, and we will both be using SDL Studio 2015. Sadly, sharing a TM across different CAT tools is (still) only the stuff of the future.

Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 16:50
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Sharing a Dropbox folder is a free option Nov 12, 2016

Dropbox allows you to completely share a folder with someone else. Both parties would need to have it, which is free anyway. Any change made by one will automatically be synchronized with the other. No tech skills required - You'll just need to put your TM somewhere in the Dropbox folder.

Practical tip: Trados allows you to use several TMs on a single project. So copy/paste the TM in order to create two in the same folder, one for you and one for your colleague. In the project setti
... See more
Dropbox allows you to completely share a folder with someone else. Both parties would need to have it, which is free anyway. Any change made by one will automatically be synchronized with the other. No tech skills required - You'll just need to put your TM somewhere in the Dropbox folder.

Practical tip: Trados allows you to use several TMs on a single project. So copy/paste the TM in order to create two in the same folder, one for you and one for your colleague. In the project settings, add both TMs to your project, but uncheck the "Update" option for your colleague's TM and have him do the same for yours. This way there won't be any synchronization issue in case you're both working at the same time.

In case you decide to go for it, here's a referral link, which will grant both us 500 MB for free: https://db.tt/aQMM06VY
Collapse

Vladimir Zakharov
Vladimir Zakharov
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:50
Russian to English
+ ...
SmartCAT is free and not only allows to share a TM but to work on the same document in real time Nov 15, 2016

*Full disclosure: I work at SmartCAT*

SmartCAT has the most powerful collaborative translation engine in the world and is the _only_ tool that allows not only to share a translation memory, but to work on the very same document in real time.

You will see each other work, can exchange comments, suggest glossary entries (which will be highlighted afterwards) and many more. (You can read more in this post, entitled "5 features of a trule collaborative translation platform
... See more
*Full disclosure: I work at SmartCAT*

SmartCAT has the most powerful collaborative translation engine in the world and is the _only_ tool that allows not only to share a translation memory, but to work on the very same document in real time.

You will see each other work, can exchange comments, suggest glossary entries (which will be highlighted afterwards) and many more. (You can read more in this post, entitled "5 features of a trule collaborative translation platform": http://snip.ly/n4cra )

And SmartCAT is completely free to use at the same time, regardless of the number of users, translation memories, and so on and so forth.

So all you have to do is sign up with a _corporate_ account (freelancer accounts don't have collaboration functionality at this point) and add both you and your friend to it. SmartCAT is really easy to use, but you always have 24x7 support at [email protected] if you need any clarifications.

You can learn more and sign up here → http://smartcat.ai

[Edited at 2016-11-15 22:24 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best (cheap!) way for 2 translators to work on single TM simultaneously from different locations?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »