Bulgaria
Local time: 10:16
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Sep 20, 2014

1. Introduction
1.1. I own licenses for Déjà Vu, MemoQ and Trados, and therefore I am in the unique position to compare the three tools from the perspective of a real life user. My reviews of CAT tools on www.proz.com have been consistently voted as 'most helpful'. Of course, I am just a translator, not a programmer, but these tools are sold to translators, not programmers.
1.2. I will discuss here most
... See more
1. Introduction
1.1. I own licenses for Déjà Vu, MemoQ and Trados, and therefore I am in the unique position to compare the three tools from the perspective of a real life user. My reviews of CAT tools on www.proz.com have been consistently voted as 'most helpful'. Of course, I am just a translator, not a programmer, but these tools are sold to translators, not programmers.
1.2. I will discuss here mostly the deficiencies of Déjà Vu X3 for which I would like to apologize in advance: your software is currently my top choice, when it comes to projects with no client requirements (for a specific CAT tool), and when quick turnaround is needed, so I do like it. I hope that my comments will help you improve it.

2. Areas to Improve – an Overview
These include software-specific issues, which are more or less easy to fix if you choose to do so, and a more general area of Atril team's interaction with customers, which is both a more demanding task and more complicated to better.

2.1. Software-specific issues:
a. Comment marks are really difficult to see. This problem is self-evident – comment marks are inconspicuous and difficult to spot. It would be great if a bigger icon in a more conspicuous color can be introduced. It would also be great if text in the source and target segment can be highlighted, so that comments can be directly connected to parts of the text.

b. Confirmation status from last translation is used automatically. If one has used 'Confirm as: Proofread' in the last open file and then start a new project, the segments you confirm will still have the 'Confirm as: Proofread' status if it is not reverted manually to the default position. This needs to be fixed.

c. Further, the three types of confirmation marks 'Confirm as: Translated', 'Confirm as: Proofread' and 'Confirm as: Approved' have very similar colors and are really difficult to differentiate. Why choose dark green and dark blue to mark different stages that need to be clearly visible?

d. Edited segments and segments not sent to TM must be marked as such. In Trados and MemoQ when a confirmed segment is edited, it immediately loses its 'confirmed' status and reverts to the status of a segment being edited. However, in DVX3, just like in DVX2 there is no way to tell if a segment has been indeed confirmed and not edited further, or maybe edited further and not yet sent to the TM. This is strange and not a good idea. One should be able to tell at a glance the current segment status.

e. I can see users asking questions on forums how they can copy source to target, and it could be a good idea to list the option and shortcut in the right-click list.

f. When the Add Comment window is open, the translator cannot copy text from the source or target segments. This means manual typing of text, which is time consuming.

g. DVX2 and DVX3 cannot be used effectively for QA. The module has significant bugs that render it useless (both Trados and MemoQ are very effective in this respect). Atril's team has known for the problems for several months now, but so far nothing has changed.

h. The choose subject routine when setting up a project is both time consuming and inconvenient. Why cannot a subject search be done from the window 'Specify Client and Subject' directly? I must first click on Add/Remove, then go to the Filter box, type in it, then browse and choose (if I have filtered on an appropriate word, to start with), then remember the number, then return to 'Specify Client and Subject', then click on the drop-down menu, then browse again, looking for that number (which I may have forgotten by that time), then finally find and set the subject. This is neither time-efficient, nor easy.

i. It would be great if you could implement Microsoft Word spellchecker for real-time spell-checking. Hunspell is not good enough to be used by professional translators – it is as simple as that. May be it is good for English, but for the smaller languages like Bulgarian, it is a blunt tool.

j. We need an option that would allow the automatic propagation to confirmed yellow and light blue segments, even when a middle segment is edited. The lack of such a function really messes up my work, creates inconsistencies, etc. MemoQ has this as default, and if I am not mistaken, so does Trados. It seems that only the coders at Atril can see no logic here. I must never confirm a yellow or light blue segment, because if any of those segments is changed at a later point, it will have to then be manually edited into all identical segments. This is counter productive and unnecessary. Combined with the unreliable QA module, this turns DVX3 into a very questionable choice.

k. When Find and Replace is run and the window is closed DVX3 will not return to the original segment, from where the search was started. This is very inconvenient and can waste precious time.

l. While running spell-checking (with the spell-checking window open) the translator cannot click and edit a segment directly. This is possible in Word, but not in DVX3 and it is inconvenient and counter productive.

m. I have heard on multiple occasions that Atril will not implement brackets over or underlining of recognized terms in source segments, as this would supposedly clutter the editor window. Well... How am I supposed to figure out which terms have been recognized? Do I have to constantly look back and forth between the source segment and the 'AutoSearch – Portions' window to somehow manually match the two? And why do both Trados and MemoQ mark recognized terms in the source segment, if that is such a bad idea?

2.2. Marketing and customer interaction at Atril
DVX3 is currently at the top of the food chain with its Deep Miner technology, AutoWrite and the spot-curing of fuzzy hits via Machine translation, but it is handicapped by its buggy QA module and the strange propagation logic to blue and yellow segments. However, Atril's weakest points are its unpredictable pricing policy, the lack of proper attention to the www.proz.com forums, slow and often ineffective customer support and sometimes disrespectful customer interaction.

2.2.1 Atril's unpredictable pricing policy
Of the big three CAT makers Atril is the only one, which seems to follow no logic whatsoever when changing the price of its product. It seems to be jumping at every opportunity to sell, with sale prices going up and down all the time. One can get the software at a personal super low custom-made one-time price and be happy for a week, but then find out that the product has just lost 30 or 40 additional percent of its previous price tag. This is unacceptable.

Let us take a look at the competitors. MemoQ are very consistent with their sale policies, always lowering the price by the same percentage for a short period of time and then returning it to 'normal'.

SDL used to sell Trados at prices that were sky-high, but even at that time they had special pricing for Bulgaria, which took into consideration the lower income rates here. When Trados cost 2-3,000 EUR on www.proz.com it cost only 400 EUR to buy in Bulgaria. And this was the standard price here.

In contrast Atril had never had different prices for different countries, and its pricing paradigm shows a consistent unpredictability that alienates both prospective customers and loyal ones. If you do not believe that this is true, take a look at www.proz.com's Group Buy area – at every sale SDL sells tens of licenses, Kilgray sells hundreds of licenses and Atril sells 10-15. If DVX2 and DVX3 are indeed way better than Trados and MemoQ, and your marketing/pricing routines are sound, then you should easily be No 1, not trail behind.

2.2.2. For some reason the Forum, Group Buy area and Software Comparison Tool on www.proz.com have always been neglected by Atril. One would think that the world's largest site for translators (all of them potential customers) would be a top priority for you, but... no. Even now if you go to the Software Comparison Tool you will not be able to find DVX3 there and will get the impression that DVX2 is the latest version.

This is not all. I had to personally write to www.proz.com support several months ago to ask them if the current sale of DVX was indeed for version 2 as the ad said, knowing for a fact that version 3 was already out.

Further, the Deja vu X forum on www.proz.com has been neglected for years. While SDL has always understood well the importance of moderation and representation on their forum on www.proz.com, assigning several representatives to monitor it and working closely with the community, Atril's forum at www.proz.com is a desert. As of late Etienne has shown some commitment and improvement in response times, but it would be fair to say that Atril is seriously lagging behind.

I have contacted Atril's support team on 2 or 3 occasions, not getting any definitive answers most of the time. The last time I had to contact Atril's support, writing about a 'special discount' I was offered at another www.proz.com event, I got no answer for a month, and then they closed my support ticket on their own accord. This just sends the wrong message.

The above is an excerpt from an email I sent to key Atril managers more than 2 months ago... and never got an answer back. So I have decided to post these notes here and make the discussion public.

[Edited at 2014-09-20 10:29 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
comments Sep 20, 2014

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for sharing your e-mail with us. DVX was a great tool (even the best one) 10 years ago; based on the same technology but with many new improvements and features DVX2 (not DVX3) is still my preferred CAT tool. I did not like the ribbon introduced in DVX3 and therefore still use DVX2 although there are some new features, e.g.

multi-file live preview,
3 different confirmation status (translated, proofread, approved),
inline formatting
... See more
Hi Pavel,

Thanks for sharing your e-mail with us. DVX was a great tool (even the best one) 10 years ago; based on the same technology but with many new improvements and features DVX2 (not DVX3) is still my preferred CAT tool. I did not like the ribbon introduced in DVX3 and therefore still use DVX2 although there are some new features, e.g.

multi-file live preview,
3 different confirmation status (translated, proofread, approved),
inline formatting (bold, italic, underlined, subscript, superscript for MS Office files)
inline spell-checker (both MS Office and Hunspell)
display of termbase attributes in AutoSearch window (the only feature I miss in DVX2)

I am sure there are hundreds of feature requests made by users but the above are the most important new features in DVX3.

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
a. Comment marks are really difficult to see. This problem is self-evident – comment marks are inconspicuous and difficult to spot. It would be great if a bigger icon in a more conspicuous color can be introduced. It would also be great if text in the source and target segment can be highlighted, so that comments can be directly connected to parts of the text.

I use the commenting feature widely, add comments to both source and target segments. A bigger icon or clearly visible icon is a good idea (although I am used to the current ones in all those years with DVX, DVX2 and DVX3).

Highlighting parts of text in source or target and applying comments to only those parts (first introduced in Studio I think) and moreover comments for the active segment (source/target), selected text, or document level, are good features, but my priority (all users have priorities) is ability to display/edit source comments in external view RTF files. Currently only the target comments column is available in EV.

c. Further, the three types of confirmation marks 'Confirm as: Translated', 'Confirm as: Proofread' and 'Confirm as: Approved' have very similar colors and are really difficult to differentiate. Why choose dark green and dark blue to mark different stages that need to be clearly visible?

Really difficult? Well, impossible for me! I don't know why we are not allowed to configure it in settings, but currently I can not use that feature.

d. Edited segments and segments not sent to TM must be marked as such. In Trados and MemoQ when a confirmed segment is edited, it immediately loses its 'confirmed' status and reverts to the status of a segment being edited. However, in DVX3, just like in DVX2 there is no way to tell if a segment has been indeed confirmed and not edited further, or maybe edited further and not yet sent to the TM. This is strange and not a good idea. One should be able to tell at a glance the current segment status.

Not sure about it, I mainly do proofreading work and all I need is a feature like target different from best TM match (as in old Trados). Similar feature available in QA module of memoQ.

g. DVX2 and DVX3 cannot be used effectively for QA. The module has significant bugs that render it useless (both Trados and MemoQ are very effective in this respect). Atril's team has known for the problems for several months now, but so far nothing has changed.

Details please. SQL filtering helps me a lot for QA work.

h. The choose subject routine when setting up a project is both time consuming and inconvenient. Why cannot a subject search be done from the window 'Specify Client and Subject' directly? I must first click on Add/Remove, then go to the Filter box, type in it, then browse and choose (if I have filtered on an appropriate word, to start with), then remember the number, then return to 'Specify Client and Subject', then click on the drop-down menu, then browse again, looking for that number (which I may have forgotten by that time), then finally find and set the subject. This is neither time-efficient, nor easy.

A filter box should help a lot, e.g. you type "for" and see forestry, forensics etc.

i. It would be great if you could implement Microsoft Word spellchecker for real-time spell-checking. Hunspell is not good enough to be used by professional translators – it is as simple as that. May be it is good for English, but for the smaller languages like Bulgarian, it is a blunt tool.

AFAIK you can use both MS Office and Hunspell inline spelling.

j. We need an option that would allow the automatic propagation to confirmed yellow and light blue segments, even when a middle segment is edited. The lack of such a function really messes up my work, creates inconsistencies, etc. MemoQ has this as default, and if I am not mistaken, so does Trados. It seems that only the coders at Atril can see no logic here. I must never confirm a yellow or light blue segment, because if any of those segments is changed at a later point, it will have to then be manually edited into all identical segments. This is counter productive and unnecessary. Combined with the unreliable QA module, this turns DVX3 into a very questionable choice.

I think here I agree with Atril developers.

m. I have heard on multiple occasions that Atril will not implement brackets over or underlining of recognized terms in source segments, as this would supposedly clutter the editor window. Well... How am I supposed to figure out which terms have been recognized? Do I have to constantly look back and forth between the source segment and the 'AutoSearch – Portions' window to somehow manually match the two? And why do both Trados and MemoQ mark recognized terms in the source segment, if that is such a bad idea?

AFAIR, somebody (a user) wrote just the opposite in Proz forums, that it will be implemented. It may be implemented one day but hope it will be optional. I don't like so many colours in my translation environment. At least we should be able to change the colour (not possible in memoQ I think).

DVX3 is currently at the top of the food chain with its Deep Miner technology, AutoWrite and the spot-curing of fuzzy hits via Machine translation, (...)

Yes, a V12 engine under the hood

However, Atril's weakest points are its unpredictable pricing policy, the lack of proper attention to the www.proz.com forums, slow and often ineffective customer support and sometimes disrespectful customer interaction.

Hear, hear

2.2.2. For some reason the Forum, Group Buy area and Software Comparison Tool on www.proz.com have always been neglected by Atril. One would think that the world's largest site for translators (all of them potential customers) would be a top priority for you, but... no. Even now if you go to the Software Comparison Tool you will not be able to find DVX3 there and will get the impression that DVX2 is the latest version.

Anybody from Atril reading these? You will find your new customers here at Proz.com.

Selcuk
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:16
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Deep Miner, AutoWrite Sep 21, 2014

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

DVX3 is currently at the top of the food chain with its Deep Miner technology, AutoWrite and the spot-curing of fuzzy hits via Machine translation

Hi Pavel,

that´s the reason why I still stick to DV and have not turned over to Kilgray yet, especially because of AutoWrite: no static "Muses" (MemoQ) to train, no static "Autosuggest" (Studio) to buy.
The lack of responsiveness Atril shows that there must be something essential wrong with the company itself. I remember last year (or two years ago?) when they suddenly began to sell X2 Workgroup licenses for almost peanuts and some participants in this branch of the proz fora began wondering why. I assume they (whoever "they" still might be...) just needed cash. If so, why not dissolve the company and sell / rent the patents for above mentioned functions to Kilgray (please NOT to SDL!!!)? Then we would get the final solution I am waiting for ages:

brackets over or underlining of recognized terms in source segments

together with

a V12 engine under the hood
(Deep Miner, AutoWrite)

...plus on-the-fly propagation / auto-completing / inserting of NUMERALS (i.e. values, dates etc. like in MemoQ)!

[Bearbeitet am 2014-09-21 12:08 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
sell patents? Sep 21, 2014

Luckily Atril is still selling new licenses to both freelancers and large agencies. There is no reason to sell patents

Matthias Brombach wrote:
If so, why not dissolve the company and sell / rent the patents for above mentioned functions to Kilgray (please NOT to SDL!!!)?

What is the difference between SDL and Kilgray? I can not see any difference as regards marketing policies. Same devil

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I hope so! Sep 21, 2014

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Luckily Atril is still selling new licenses to both freelancers and large agencies. There is no reason to sell patents

I really hope so, too. And Atril may publish these large agencies, so I can offer them my services.

What is the difference between SDL and Kilgray?

...the by far better product (MemoQ) ... and Atril could catch up with it.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-09-21 14:51 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:16
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
On a side note: Sep 21, 2014

CafeTran has both Deep Miner and AutoWrite, but the developer is actually extremely responsive, interested and a just an email away (unlike Atril).

It's obviously not called ‘Deep Miner’, but I am pretty sure that CT has it too now. Incidentally, can someone here explain exactly what Deep Miner does, so I can be sure I am not talking nonsense?

CafeTran's AutoWrite (called gets its data from all your resources in CT (TBs, TMs, non-translatables); no need to train any
... See more
CafeTran has both Deep Miner and AutoWrite, but the developer is actually extremely responsive, interested and a just an email away (unlike Atril).

It's obviously not called ‘Deep Miner’, but I am pretty sure that CT has it too now. Incidentally, can someone here explain exactly what Deep Miner does, so I can be sure I am not talking nonsense?

CafeTran's AutoWrite (called gets its data from all your resources in CT (TBs, TMs, non-translatables); no need to train anything.

What feeds auto-completion?

Where does auto-completion takes its suggestions from?

Words that you type in the target box
Words in your User.dic, your personal list of words with unknown spelling
Words in your Translation Memory
Words in the target segments of your translation project
Words at the target side of your glossary
CafeTran even takes words in alternative target terms into account:
(http://cafetranhelp.com/using-auto-completion )
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
DeepMiner Sep 21, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
Incidentally, can someone here explain exactly what Deep Miner does, so I can be sure I am not talking nonsense?

Would the following help:

http://www.atril.com/sites/default/files/docs/presentation/DeepMiner.pdf

http://language-mystery.blogspot.com/2011/10/deep-mining-with-deja-vu-x2.html

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Happy user of Deja Vu X3 Oct 7, 2014

I'm a happy user of DVX X3 Professional, and I can only recommend this product to my fellow translators. Bundled with an external QA tool (like Xbench or Verifika), DVX X3 has always been efficient, fast, and light on my system. I'm also an owner of the Cafetran license, and I believe those are two most efficient and usable tools on the market.

[Edited at 2014-10-07 01:49 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
QA tools Oct 7, 2014

Hi Denis,

Verifika and Xbench, both are amazing QA tools. Now working on a 30k word proofreading project, unfortunately an SDL WorldServer project, using DVX, Verifika and Xbench.

Without these QA tools it was not possible to find all those inconsistent translations, tag and space errors.

Off-topic but I don't understand why agencies use WorldServer. No shortcuts, terribly slow with large files, only Hunspell is supported, it is not possible to display non-
... See more
Hi Denis,

Verifika and Xbench, both are amazing QA tools. Now working on a 30k word proofreading project, unfortunately an SDL WorldServer project, using DVX, Verifika and Xbench.

Without these QA tools it was not possible to find all those inconsistent translations, tag and space errors.

Off-topic but I don't understand why agencies use WorldServer. No shortcuts, terribly slow with large files, only Hunspell is supported, it is not possible to display non-printing characters, no QA features. And of course you can not use your own TM and TBs.

And the agency does not send xlf files (or whatever they are called in WorldServer). Luckily a CAT hopper can always find a way to translate/proofread WS projects in his favourite CAT tool and guarantee quality. Mission possible only with DVX plus a great QA tool.

Selcuk
Collapse

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Selcuk, Oct 7, 2014

Thanks a lot for your comments.
It's clear that there are at least two subsets of TENT's each being tailored to its target users.
The first subset is aligned with the translator's practicalities, the second one - with those of PM's and the other end, where supporting routines are carried out.
In my vision, DVX and CafeTran are classic translator-centered tools (although they may also do a great job upstream - never been there).
As I tested SDL and Kilgray products, I coul
... See more
Thanks a lot for your comments.
It's clear that there are at least two subsets of TENT's each being tailored to its target users.
The first subset is aligned with the translator's practicalities, the second one - with those of PM's and the other end, where supporting routines are carried out.
In my vision, DVX and CafeTran are classic translator-centered tools (although they may also do a great job upstream - never been there).
As I tested SDL and Kilgray products, I could not help a feeling of being held back, twitched, and 'alienated' from my natural 'fluid' skills and logic.
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Sorry if some points have already been mentioned. Feb 5, 2015

Having tried the demo od DVX3, I think I can add several remarks regarding the software.
I translate mainly text files (articles etc), so I won't focus here on all those advanced functions that translators like me simply do not need.

First, the things that I liked about it:
1) First of all the sophisticated Autowrite function, which saves a whole deal of time (but there are areas for improvement).

2) Creating a project is fairly simple. I love the fact that
... See more
Having tried the demo od DVX3, I think I can add several remarks regarding the software.
I translate mainly text files (articles etc), so I won't focus here on all those advanced functions that translators like me simply do not need.

First, the things that I liked about it:
1) First of all the sophisticated Autowrite function, which saves a whole deal of time (but there are areas for improvement).

2) Creating a project is fairly simple. I love the fact that with the project explorer I can quickly see what TMs, what TBs and MT providers I am using. Theoretically, nothing groundbreaking, but some CATs are much more complicated in this area.

3) I like the idea of Lexicon, either for single file or the whole project.

4) I love that DVX3 processes .odt files.

5) The whole application seems most of the time user-friendly and it's quite easy to learn.

Now, what I do not like, or what, in my humble opinion, should be improved:

1) I must say I simply hated the fact that DVX3 does not in any way highlight or underline in the editor window the words it has found in my termbases or the Lexicon. Why not? Each time I moved to another segment I had to look at the "Portions" window to see if the software has found any new words or not. And it gets tedious when the segments are long and there are dozen found words and you need to scroll down the list... A big flaw for me.

2) Another thing that I did not like was the long time I had to wait for DVX3 to display any results after moving to another segment. In some cases it took about 20 seconds... Wouldn't it be easier if on moving to, let us say segment number 5, DVX3 already started processing segment number 6, while I am still translating segment number 5? It would save a lot of time...

3) Regarding the Autowrite function. I think it is great, but... What I greatly missed here was no support for proper names and numbers. It truly saves time, if you do not have to copy letter by letter names that are difficult to spell or long numbers. DVX3 really misses this function, which by the way has been implemented in the latest SP for Trados and has been present in Wordfast for years now.

4) It would be great to have a set of QA options you could check or uncheck, such as, for example, alarming the user if target segment has a different punctuation than source segment, does not contain the same numbers as SS, is much too long or too short than SS (these were the ones I missed the most).

5) I do not know why, but the whole window of DVX3 simply wastes a lot of space. In MemoQ within the same area you can see much more text than in DV. There are simply too many empty spaces, the dividing lines between windows are way too thick etc).
It would also be good if the segment you are translating (when I tested DVX3, I chose horizontal layout) could have a different (i.e. larger) font than the ones already translated. I remember that with the horizontal setting and the font size set to 14 (Times New Roman) with my 21'' screen I could only see TWO segments (each of them contained circa 30 words) including the one I was just translating, so not much context at all...

6) Correct me if I am wrong, but it was impossible to search through concordance (don't remember what it was called in DVX3) in other way than SELECTING a word and hitting the key combination. What about highly inflected languages, where the stem sometimes changes depending on case form? Say, I have an Ablative form and need to search for the Nominative - is there any way to display a search window, where I can enter the form I want to find, not necessarily the one that is in the source segment?

7) I remember that with 2 different glossaries used for a project, and adding new terminology in the editor window I could not find a way to select which glossary I wanted to add the new word to. I might have missed it, but I am afraid there was no option to choose the proper one - it would probably have to be pre-selected in Project Explorer window.

Well, these are my comments on DVX3 - an application, which I think, I would be happy to buy and use, if not those several big flaws (at least for me).
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
comments Feb 6, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:

Now, what I do not like, or what, in my humble opinion, should be improved:

1) I must say I simply hated the fact that DVX3 does not in any way highlight or underline in the editor window the words it has found in my termbases or the Lexicon. Why not? Each time I moved to another segment I had to look at the "Portions" window to see if the software has found any new words or not. And it gets tedious when the segments are long and there are dozen found words and you need to scroll down the list... A big flaw for me.

It is one of the feature requests that I am not sure about. It can be good, you look at the underlined or highlighted words and see which are in your TB (and easily add those which are not marked). But on the other hand I like reading plain text when translating. If optional, why not.

2) Another thing that I did not like was the long time I had to wait for DVX3 to display any results after moving to another segment. In some cases it took about 20 seconds... Wouldn't it be easier if on moving to, let us say segment number 5, DVX3 already started processing segment number 6, while I am still translating segment number 5? It would save a lot of time...

20 seconds! That is too much. Even on my 9-year old system with only 2GB RAM, I wait maximum 5 seconds in long segments. But what is a long segment? That is 40-50 words for me. If you are translating patent documents with each segment 200-500 words, then 20 seconds is really good.

Caching results for next segment, I remember this was discussed a few times. Atril Support will answer it, I hope.

3) Regarding the Autowrite function. I think it is great, but... What I greatly missed here was no support for proper names and numbers. It truly saves time, if you do not have to copy letter by letter names that are difficult to spell or long numbers. DVX3 really misses this function, which by the way has been implemented in the latest SP for Trados and has been present in Wordfast for years now.

Seconded.

4) It would be great to have a set of QA options you could check or uncheck, such as, for example, alarming the user if target segment has a different punctuation than source segment, does not contain the same numbers as SS, is much too long or too short than SS (these were the ones I missed the most).

Batch QA under Review Tab?
But if your SQL filters list is a long one, they will not displayed correctly. It is a bug, waiting in the list to be fixed.

5) I do not know why, but the whole window of DVX3 simply wastes a lot of space. In MemoQ within the same area you can see much more text than in DV. There are simply too many empty spaces, the dividing lines between windows are way too thick etc).

I don't like ribbons but memoQ ribbon is nice, DVX3 ribbon and the white background is counterproductive for me. But except for the ribbon, I find DVX interface easy-to-work. Well, the preview pane is hidden, and ribbon minimized of course.

I will not say anything about the colours in confirmation mode. Black, green and blue, Atril please ...

It would also be good if the segment you are translating (when I tested DVX3, I chose horizontal layout) could have a different (i.e. larger) font than the ones already translated. I remember that with the horizontal setting and the font size set to 14 (Times New Roman) with my 21'' screen I could only see TWO segments (each of them contained circa 30 words) including the one I was just translating, so not much context at all...

You work in the grid or under the grid? I don't understand what you mean by horizontal layout here. I translate in the grid, that is source segments on the left and target segments on the right. I can see 8-10 segments each with approx. 30 words (of course when preview and ribbon are hidden).

6) Correct me if I am wrong, but it was impossible to search through concordance (don't remember what it was called in DVX3) in other way than SELECTING a word and hitting the key combination. What about highly inflected languages, where the stem sometimes changes depending on case form? Say, I have an Ablative form and need to search for the Nominative - is there any way to display a search window, where I can enter the form I want to find, not necessarily the one that is in the source segment?

Scan (Ctrl+S) is the name of this function. You can use Scan with wildcards (Ctrl+Alt+S) for more options. Or you can open the TM in another tab or instance and use SQL filters for much more options.

7) I remember that with 2 different glossaries used for a project, and adding new terminology in the editor window I could not find a way to select which glossary I wanted to add the new word to. I might have missed it, but I am afraid there was no option to choose the proper one - it would probably have to be pre-selected in Project Explorer window.

When I use 2 termbases, I set one of them as read-only. Occasionally, if I want to add a term to the read-only termbase, then I open it in another tab and add terms manually.

For me, the problem is not adding terms to different termbases but the lack of different colours for different TBs/TMs.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Strange... Feb 6, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:
I do not know why, but the whole window of DVX3 simply wastes a lot of space. In MemoQ within the same area you can see much more text than in DV.

I would have said it was the other way round, although there's probably not that much difference.

There are simply too many empty spaces, the dividing lines between windows are way too thick etc).

Huh? Where do you see empty spaces or thick dividing lines? You know you can personalise the layout pretty much however you want, right? The screenshots shown here are for DVX2 but DVX3 is not that different and you can minimise the ribbon to gain more space.
http://language-mystery.blogspot.fr/2011/11/dvx2-screenshot-gallery.html

I remember that with the horizontal setting and the font size set to 14 (Times New Roman) with my 21'' screen I could only see TWO segments (each of them contained circa 30 words) including the one I was just translating, so not much context at all...

There must be something wrong somewhere! If I open the same project in memoQ and DVX3, I can see more segments in DVX3.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:16
Russian to English
Names and numbers Feb 6, 2015

Re:

"3) Regarding the Autowrite function. I think it is great, but... What I greatly missed here was no support for proper names and numbers. It truly saves time, if you do not have to copy letter by letter names that are difficult to spell or long numbers. DVX3 really misses this function, which by the way has been implemented in the latest SP for Trados and has been present in Wordfast for years now."

Just highlight the name/number in the source segment and press F5.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
not the best method Feb 6, 2015

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Just highlight the name/number in the source segment and press F5.

Switch to source, highlight some text, press F5, and if I remember it correctly cursor back in target with the copied text. Do it as many times as required, not productive if you have several placeables in source segment.

Dave's AutoSuggest AHK can be used maybe, at least for large projects.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dejavu-l/conversations/topics/96797

Export to EV, find all dates, numbers, words in uppercase, internet/mail addresses etc. using Word's advanced find option with regex. Then copy all found results to a text file to be used with the AHK script.

Or create a new AHK script, to search source segment for candidates each time. Dave, is it possible or easy to create one?

Selcuk

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja vu X3 – bugs and areas to improve

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »