Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:06
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 11, 2016

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/307309-which_are_the_most_recommended_cat_tools-page2.html

I´m missing participants mentioning DV as their favorite CAT tool (although there are still reasons).
Does Atril plan any new developments or is it over and done with DV?

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
No news good news? Oct 11, 2016

Hi Matthias

My partner and I are happy DVX2 users having courageously upgraded from DVX1 a few years ago.

I took a look at DVX3 a while back and decided I would stick with what I knew.

The feature of DVX we both like is the no-frills, two-column interface. And while those pesky codes can be a pain, they also give us a "hands-under-the-bonnet" sense of control that we are increasingly losing as apps m
... See more
Hi Matthias

My partner and I are happy DVX2 users having courageously upgraded from DVX1 a few years ago.

I took a look at DVX3 a while back and decided I would stick with what I knew.

The feature of DVX we both like is the no-frills, two-column interface. And while those pesky codes can be a pain, they also give us a "hands-under-the-bonnet" sense of control that we are increasingly losing as apps move to software-as-a-service formats. I make little use of translation memories except if they provide an exact match.

(As machine translation progresses, I don't think there's going to be much of a market for human interfacing with translation memories at all. We'll all either be post-editing or doing stuff that you just can't get out of a translation memory - which is most of my business these days).

In 12 years of business I have never once had a serious problem with DVX and never had a problem I couldn't recover from.

Maybe users are just too happy, so we don't see them come on here and complain much?
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Codes in DVX3 Oct 11, 2016

DVX3 shows bold, italics, etc., visually, rather than as codes. And CodeZapper hides most of the rest for me. It's lovely being able to translate without having to keep moving codes around.

[Edited at 2016-10-12 19:19 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No news are not always good news Oct 12, 2016

Eutychus wrote:
Maybe users are just too happy, so we don't see them come on here and complain much?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I don´t think that no news are always good news, even when the majority of users is quite satisfied with DV / DVX3.
When you as a CAT provider don´t promote yourself continously or at certain intervalls, you will get out of focus for new users. It would be sad to leave the field to the two major players whose products are far away from being perfect at all while DVX3 still has its strengths compared to them.

[Edited at 2016-10-12 11:15 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
New build Oct 12, 2016

Atril is working on a new build at the moment, there will some new features and bug fixes. But you can expect more in a few months

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Right Oct 12, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Atril is working on a new build at the moment, there will some new features and bug fixes. But you can expect more in a few months

A few months - that's like... tomorrow! Quite a delay if you consider the fact that they were planning to have "a major release" somewhere around the end of 2015

Meanwhile their latest "monthly update" dates back to June 2015 and their latest Facebook post is from 4 April
My wife is a social media marketer - perhaps I should recommend her to them?

But on a serious note. I totally understand those users who are satisfied with DVX1 or DVX2, because it's the peak of what they need for their purposes. Meanwhile the world is moving forward, there are new interesting advancements in CAT tools (Lilt, Lift, automatic tag finding in MateCat) and it would be good to be informed what the company is planning.

[Edited at 2016-10-12 18:27 GMT]

Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
Member (2008)
German to English
Still nobody there? Jan 20, 2017

It has been 3 months now since this thread started and still there has been no DVX3 update and no information from the company about what improvements or additional features might be expected. Has Atril stopped development now on Deja Vu? I would be a bit annoyed to find this out, as I have only just upgraded to DVX3 and had I have known, I wouldn't have bothered, I would have saved up the extra to buy a full MemoQ licence.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Who knows... Jan 20, 2017

Rob Edwards wrote:

It has been 3 months now since this thread started and still there has been no DVX3 update and no information from the company about what improvements or additional features might be expected. Has Atril stopped development now on Deja Vu? I would be a bit annoyed to find this out, as I have only just upgraded to DVX3 and had I have known, I wouldn't have bothered, I would have saved up the extra to buy a full MemoQ licence.

Oh I would really like to know if they are working on a new build or not. I hoped that if they released a version that includes most of the wishes of the community here, that would be a breaktrough for them. But I don't know anymore.

From my experience with DVX3 demo, I liked the lightweight form of the tool in contrast to bulky Trados 2015/2017, but still there were several things that made me go for Studio.

AFAIK there's a new version of MemoQ coming in February, I wonder if it has more features than the disappoing list they gave in May. I hope so.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Make Deja Vu great again! Jan 21, 2017

I remember a time (around 2008 / 2009) when numerous agencies were demanding their freelancers to use Deja Vu like they do today with memoQ. And I am talking of Deja Vu in its old version, without AutoWrite and other functions of today (okay, mean reason then for agencies was the more favorable word count compared to Trados 2007, but this would be still favorable for them even today).
Compared to memoQ and Studio, DV still could play a major role in the translation industry because:
... See more
I remember a time (around 2008 / 2009) when numerous agencies were demanding their freelancers to use Deja Vu like they do today with memoQ. And I am talking of Deja Vu in its old version, without AutoWrite and other functions of today (okay, mean reason then for agencies was the more favorable word count compared to Trados 2007, but this would be still favorable for them even today).
Compared to memoQ and Studio, DV still could play a major role in the translation industry because:

it is slim (= does not use the amount of computing resources as memoQ and Studio does),

it is still intelligent (integrated and easy to handle term management with no extra hydrocephalus like "MultiTerm", an on-the-fly working auto complete function with no need to train "Muses" in memoQ or preparing TMs for Uplift) and

it is secure (even in a crash your contents will be restored, without the need of an auto save function).

In the middle of a project I can easily switch between project languages (i.e. to handle English segments in a Dutch file), I can integrate DV TMs easily into another DV TM without the need of exporting and importing them first, and other advantages, like the possibility to handle sdlxliff and mqxliff files from Studio and memoQ. And I am talking out of the view of a rather normal and not too much advanced user, who likes to fiddle with SQL and other tricks.

I write all this because I just do not want to be left alone one day with products of SDL and Kilgray just because Atril doesn´t develop their software any more.

[Edited at 2017-01-21 11:25 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:06
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
They say they're cooking Jan 21, 2017

Back in September, on International Translation Day, Atril said they will release DVX4 in 2017, but not before they release another build for DVX3.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
Exactly Jan 21, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Back in September, on International Translation Day, Atril said they will release DVX4 in 2017, but not before they release another build for DVX3.

Atril is working on DVX4 but they will still release another build for DVX3 to fix all the bugs. Nowadays this is not normal for many software companies. They simply forget the users of the previous version. But Atril continues to provide free support. Much appreciated.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:06
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
They do have leftover bugs Jan 21, 2017

Well, it is an exaggeration to say that Atril will fix all the bugs of DVX3. There are bugs from DVX2 that were carried over to DVX3 and will possibly persist in DVX4. Take, for example, the alignment functionality. It’s been in an ‘early beta’ state since DVX2 at least—this is the earliest version I’ve used.

Rob Edwards
Member (2008)
German to English
Hope DVX4 is worth the wait Jan 21, 2017

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Much like Matthias, I well remember a time when Deja Vu really stood out from the crowd. DVX2 added DeepMiner, which was quite handy and still seems to work better than UPLift, at least it does for my TMs. DVX3 added a new interface which was nice, and definitely makes it easier to work with, but in terms of features, it's hard to avoid the feeling that Deja Vu is starting to get left behind. I know that many of the really useful Trados features (We
... See more
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Much like Matthias, I well remember a time when Deja Vu really stood out from the crowd. DVX2 added DeepMiner, which was quite handy and still seems to work better than UPLift, at least it does for my TMs. DVX3 added a new interface which was nice, and definitely makes it easier to work with, but in terms of features, it's hard to avoid the feeling that Deja Vu is starting to get left behind. I know that many of the really useful Trados features (Web Lookup is the one I make most use of, but there are plenty of others) aren't features of Trados itself, but plugins, but it is still additional functionality which makes life easier.

I upgraded to DVX3 mainly because I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and using Trados and DNS is too cumbersome. I am happy with DVX3, but there are a few features (a web term search feature being the main one) that really need to be added if Deja Vu is to stay competitive...

Does anyone know what features DVX4 will include?

[Edited at 2017-01-21 18:43 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
AHK Jan 21, 2017

Rob Edwards wrote:

I am happy with DVX3, but there are a few features (a web term search feature being the main one) that really need to be added if Deja Vu is to stay competitive

Can't this feature be added via AutoHotkey easily?

Rob Edwards
Member (2008)
German to English
Possibly, but Jan 21, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Rob Edwards wrote:

I am happy with DVX3, but there are a few features (a web term search feature being the main one) that really need to be added if Deja Vu is to stay competitive

Can't this feature be added via AutoHotkey easily?

Maybe, thanks for the tip. But really I would like something that I can either use out of the box in DVX or add via a plug-in.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there anybody out there?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »