Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:03
English to Turkish
+ ...
Big Mama, Big Papa Oct 27, 2016

I rarely use 2 or more TMs/TBs. Normally, each segment goes to Big Mama (main TM) and each new term goes to Big Papa (main TB). But Client and Subject metadata are essential for me.

I use a hierarchical client list, e.g.

1. Agency 1 (subject: General)
2. Agency 2 (subject: Fashion)
3. Agency 3 for Sony translations (subject: Computers)
4. Agency 3 for Asus translations (subject: Computers)
5. Agency 3 for DHL translations (subject: General)
... See more
I rarely use 2 or more TMs/TBs. Normally, each segment goes to Big Mama (main TM) and each new term goes to Big Papa (main TB). But Client and Subject metadata are essential for me.

6. Agency 4 for Levi's translations (subject: Fashion)
7. Agency 4 for Sony translations (subject: Computers)

So when doing translation for No. 6, I get results in my AutoSearch window from No. 2 as well, both in the Fashion industry. It applies to TB as well.

Keeping separate TMs/TBs for each client/subject is a waste of time for me, and maintenance is not easy.

Of course, I do have some reference TMs/TBs, some from clients. I attach them to my projects, if needed. But generally I open them in a second tab or in another instance of DVX.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
MT Oct 27, 2016

I rarely use MT for my language pair. I sometimes use it when proofreading another translator's work, to check if it was machine translated.

You can MT the complete segment or parts of it. If you select only a few words in source segment, press Ctrl+Shift+G. Otherwise, Ctrl+G will translate the complete segment.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting, thanks! Oct 27, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

6. Agency 4 for Levi's translations (subject: Fashion)
7. Agency 4 for Sony translations (subject: Computers)

So when doing translation for No. 6, I get results in my AutoSearch window from No. 2 as well, both in the Fashion industry. It applies to TB as well.

Keeping separate TMs/TBs for each client/subject is a waste of time for me, and maintenance is not easy.

Of course, I do have some reference TMs/TBs, some from clients. I attach them to my projects, if needed. But generally I open them in a second tab or in another instance of DVX.

I assume you have edited the strange & wonderful list of subjects that comes with DVX3:

Generalities
Prolegomena. Fundamentals of knowledge and culture. Computer science
Science and knowledge in general. Organization of intellectual work
etc.

Any idea how big these big Mamas and Papas can get?

Michael

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
size of files Oct 27, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I assume you have edited the strange & wonderful list of subjects that comes with DVX3:

Generalities
Prolegomena. Fundamentals of knowledge and culture. Computer science
Science and knowledge in general. Organization of intellectual work
etc.

Any idea how big these big Mamas and Papas can get?

Michael

No, I did not edit the list. Some users have their own lists but I was too late or lazy to create my own list. But this list is sufficient for me, even sufficient for agencies I think.

You can find an updated version of this list on the internet, used mainly by libraries.

2GB is the limit for Mamas and Papas, possibly you can store 3-4 million segments in a TM.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
aha Oct 27, 2016

But you said you use:

subject: Computers
subject: Fashion

… which I couldn't find in the list. I did find "fashion", but only in "391: Costume. Clothing. National dress. Fashion. Adornment"

… and "computers" in:

004: Computer science and technology. Computing
0042: Computer architecture
0043: Computer hardware
etc.

I think there is a lot to learn about DVX3...
See more
But you said you use:

… which I couldn't find in the list. I did find "fashion", but only in "391: Costume. Clothing. National dress. Fashion. Adornment"

… and "computers" in:

etc.

I think there is a lot to learn about DVX3
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
lol Oct 27, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

But you said you use:

… and "computers" in:

etc.

I think there is a lot to learn about DVX3

I use 004 for anything related to computers (hardware and software), after all I don't work for the national library.

I did not notice 391 before, lol.
391 is "Costume. Clothing. National dress. Fashion. Adornment" but I use 687 "Costume. Clothing. National dress. Fashion. Adornment".

3 is for Social Sciences, I use 34 "Law. Jurisprudence" for my legal translations and 33 "Economics" for finance, business, insurance translations. When translating a legal text 34, terms with subject no 33 are displayed as well, so it helps me find business terms when translating a contract. 3 is the parent subject for both 33 and 34.

Therefore 391 will not help me much for fashion translations.

For fashion I can use,
646 "Clothing. Body care"
677 "Textile industry"
687 "Clothing industry. Garment manufacture. Beauty culture", all grouped under 6.

But 61 "Medical sciences" is also there. So perhaps it is better to create your own simple list

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No need to use the predefined subjects Oct 27, 2016

The list of subjects is an old version of the Dewey decimal classification system, used by libraries. I'm not sure it is of much use to translators. Plus, it is a hassle to navigate the list and select a subject. So, you can add your own subjects. Since I don't want my subject names to be too specific, I have labels like "ICT" and "Commerce", under which fall most of my jobs. (And I don't use a "big mama"; I follow the "project TM" and "master TM" paradigm of memoQ and Trados Studio.)

... See more
The list of subjects is an old version of the Dewey decimal classification system, used by libraries. I'm not sure it is of much use to translators. Plus, it is a hassle to navigate the list and select a subject. So, you can add your own subjects. Since I don't want my subject names to be too specific, I have labels like "ICT" and "Commerce", under which fall most of my jobs. (And I don't use a "big mama"; I follow the "project TM" and "master TM" paradigm of memoQ and Trados Studio.)

Here's an extra tip:
When adding clients or subjects, you can avoid using numeric IDs, as this will cause trouble when working on more than one computers. You'll have to remember the numeric IDs by heart; there's no way of keeping the lists in sync between machines (for this, we would need a TeamServer for freelancers, something similar to Kilgray's LanguageTerminal). So, for now, you can use a string for the "ID" field:
– Instead of "01 - TechCompany Ltd", write "TechCompany - TechCompany".
– Instead of "004 - Software", write "ICT - Information and Communications Technology".

[Edited at 2016-10-27 11:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-27 11:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-27 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting, thanks! Oct 27, 2016

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Here's an extra tip:
When adding clients or subjects, you can avoid using numeric IDs, as this will cause trouble when working on more than one computers. You'll have to remember the numeric IDs by heart; there's no way of keeping the lists in sync between machines (for this, we would need a TeamServer for freelancers, something similar to Kilgray's LanguageTerminal). So, for now, you can use a string for the "ID" field:
– Instead of "004 - Software", write "ICT - Information and Communications Technology".

Yeah, I was already 99% sure I'd delete them all and start from scratch. That's just way too much information for my tiny brain.

A quick question: if I defined my project as having subject "EDUCATION", will any terms that I add to a TB while translating it automatically be given the subject "EDUCATION", or do I have to add it manually each time I add a term to my TB?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Subject of term base entries Oct 27, 2016

Yes, Michael, every term will get all the metadata of the project. Plus, every term will get as "context" the entire segment in which you were when you decided to hit on F11 and add the term to the term base. I like this feature a lot.

Now, if only we could add alternative terms like in memoQ and use RegEx or at least pipe symbols and asterisks....

Side note:
My wish is for RegEx support in term entry and term recognition. This solution would be ideal for my langu
... See more
Yes, Michael, every term will get all the metadata of the project. Plus, every term will get as "context" the entire segment in which you were when you decided to hit on F11 and add the term to the term base. I like this feature a lot.

Now, if only we could add alternative terms like in memoQ and use RegEx or at least pipe symbols and asterisks....

Side note:
My wish is for RegEx support in term entry and term recognition. This solution would be ideal for my language, but it won't appeal to newbies (there can be a 'simple' and an 'advanced' mode, though). For example, for "mobile phone" I would like to enter this in Greek:

κινητ(ό|ού|ά|ών) τηλ[εέ]φ[ωώ]ν(ο|ου|α|ων)

which would allow for all the following to be recognized as correct translations of the term:

κινητό τηλέφωνο
κινητού τηλεφώνου
κινητά τηλέφωνα
κινητών τηλεφώνων

Till this feature is implemented, Déjà Vu will continue giving way too many false positives when checking for errors in terms and numbers.

[Edited at 2016-10-27 12:11 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Oct 27, 2016

Side note:
My wish is for RegEx support in term entry and term recognition. This solution would be ideal for my language, but it won't appeal to newbies (there can be a 'simple' and an 'advanced' mode, though). For example, for "mobile phone" I would like to enter this in Greek:

which would allow for all the following to be recognized as correct translations of the term:

κινητό τηλέφωνο
κινητού τηλεφώνου
κινητά τηλέφωνα
κινητών τηλεφώνων

Till this feature is implemented, Déjà Vu will continue giving way too many false positives when checking for errors in terms and numbers.

Hmm, I don't seem to see any metadata getting automatically added to my added terms, but then again I don't know what I'm doing yet, so it's probably related to how I created my TB.

That automatically added context sounds cool!

Yes, proper synonym support would be great (in the texts I translate, the Dutch authors often use six or seven different spellings/misspellings for the same term. I really need a quick way to keep them all together in a single concept)! RegEx support would also be great. Both are already available in CafeTran, memoQ and Studio.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Oh yes... Oct 27, 2016

Side note:

κινητό τηλέφωνο
κινητού τηλεφώνου
κινητά τηλέφωνα
κινητών τηλεφώνων

Same for my language pair as well, although I imagine that for translators translating in the other direction it's even more inconvenient. What do you mean by "add alternative terms like in memoQ"? What is it that memoQ does?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to add abbreviations to the segmentation rules? Oct 27, 2016

Over the last couple of days, I've come across all of the following abbreviations, which caused incorrect segmentation:

FIG.
enz.
fig.
excl.
T.n.v.
Dhr.
drs.
plv.
tel.
z.o.z.
m.u.v.
o.b.v.
dd.
zgn.
Bv.
o.a.
w.v.
o.i.d.

Is there a quick and easy way to add these to the segmentation rules?

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
This might help: Oct 27, 2016

https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205390152-How-to-modify-sentence-delimitation-rules

[Edited at 2016-10-27 13:35 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the view from Studio Oct 27, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Side note:

κινητό τηλέφωνο
κινητού τηλεφώνου
κινητά τηλέφωνα
κινητών τηλεφώνων

Same for my language pair as well, although I imagine that for translators translating in the other direction it's even more inconvenient. What do you mean by "add alternative terms like in memoQ"? What is it that memoQ does?

Can't remember how memoQ handles it at the moment, but in Studio, if you try to add a term pair that's already in your TB, the program will say: Hey, you already have that term pair in yr TB, would you like to merge the current one with it? If you select no, it will create a new entry.

So if you have kat = cat in yr TB, and you try to add poes = cat ("poes" and "kat" being synonyms), the program will automatically merge the two, forming:

poes; kat = cat (which is a single concept)

VERY, VERY handy.

[Edited at 2016-10-27 13:31 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just clear out the default list of Subjects Oct 27, 2016

Here's an extra tip:

I've been using Deja Vu since version 3.x (1999) and now I'm using the latest, DVX3.

Yes, the default list of subjects is baffling. I always clear it completely and add my own subjects.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to DVX3. How can I …

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »