United Kingdom
Local time: 20:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2016

My first question:

Segments aren't being auto-propagated to Confirmed segments (up/down) in DVX3

I just noticed something strange. In DVX3, when you confirm a segment, it does not get auto-propagated upwards/downwards to Confirmed segments. Is there any way to change this, as this is obviously very undesirable.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-10-26 13:35 GMT]

PS: I edited the post title/subject to be more comprehensive, so we can continue
... See more
My first question:

Segments aren't being auto-propagated to Confirmed segments (up/down) in DVX3

I just noticed something strange. In DVX3, when you confirm a segment, it does not get auto-propagated upwards/downwards to Confirmed segments. Is there any way to change this, as this is obviously very undesirable.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-10-26 13:35 GMT]

PS: I edited the post title/subject to be more comprehensive, so we can continue discussing what we're discussing.

[Edited at 2016-10-26 22:38 GMT]
Collapse

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
What are you trying to do? Oct 26, 2016

Do you want it to overwrite previously confirmed segments? Or automatically confirm propagated sentences?

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 23:48
English to Russian
+ ...
re Oct 26, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I just noticed something strange. In DVX3, when you confirm a segment, it does not get auto-propagated upwards/downwards to Confirmed upsegments. Is there any way to change this, as this is obviously very undesirable.

Michael

If you proof text after translation - clean up segments statuses before.

Other way — sort segments alphabetically (click on lang header of translation table) or filter segments by word (select word(s) - RMB - Filter by source) and correct what you need

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
primarily the former, but preferably both Oct 26, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Do you want it to overwrite previously confirmed segments? Or automatically confirm propagated sentences?

Hi Alistair,

I want to overwrite previously confirmed segments, … and preferably also confirm them afterwards.

I'm basically just looking for a way to propagate any changes I might make back up and down the project. Currently, if I decide to translate something differently, which is present in identical form elsewhere in the project, my latest version does not get propagated, which will result in inconsistencies.

Michael

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
Nope Oct 26, 2016

...I want to overwrite previously confirmed segments, … and preferably also confirm them afterwards.

It is not a trouble that you cannot, it is its feature. It is the way DVX works: no automatic propagation like in, for instance, Memo or Trados. Only manually, pressing F9 and checking a proposed change. If you cannot get used to this, you better look at other tools.

Kind regards and good luck Michael.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Force Propagate Oct 26, 2016

Propagation is automatic (if enabled in settings). But it works for empty target segments only.

You can either filter on source, clear target translations and then propagate, or
Sort alphabetically, clear one by one and then propagate, or use
Force Propagate (Shift+F9). This is a feature I never use.

I always prefer filtering on source (select the complete segment or part of it) and then filter. In case of many codes/tags, you can first sort alphabetically a
... See more
Propagation is automatic (if enabled in settings). But it works for empty target segments only.

You can either filter on source, clear target translations and then propagate, or

I always prefer filtering on source (select the complete segment or part of it) and then filter. In case of many codes/tags, you can first sort alphabetically and then filter.

There are also SQL filters which make life much easier for DVX users.

Currently working on a 85k words, 14k segments project with 43 files. All files open as a single project (feature unique to DVX, not talking about views), filtering / sorting, lexicon, deepminer and all other DVX features will help me translate it in 5 days.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm, interesting. Oct 26, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I always prefer filtering on source (select the complete segment or part of it) and then filter. In case of many codes/tags, you can first sort alphabetically and then filter.

There are also SQL filters which make life much easier for DVX users.

Currently working on a 85k words, 14k segments project with 43 files. All files open as a single project (feature unique to DVX, not talking about views), filtering / sorting, lexicon, deepminer and all other DVX features will help me translate it in 5 days.

Hmm, will have to give this some thought. The filtering and source approach, e.g., sort of assumes I will in each case be aware that there are exact duplicates elsewhere in the (possibly huge) project. The memoQ/Studio/CafeTran way, the translator doesn't have to think, or go looking for things, or manually scan filtered segments: the latest version they enter just gets on auto-propagated. Have Atril taken this route for a good, conscious reason? I can't see how adding the other way, optional of course, would be anything but very good idea.

Don't want to step on anyone's toes though, as there might be a good reason to do it this way (that I just haven't thought of yet).

Let me put it this way: would you guys like to have this feature in DVX? And if not, why exactly?

Michael

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
duplicates Oct 26, 2016

Of course I am aware that there are duplicates in the project. They are indicated in the project word count and statistics. And moreover, duplicates are visually indicated in the GUI (see the left column, you can change the colour for duplicates as well).

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cool, thanks! Oct 26, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Of course I am aware that there are duplicates in the project. They are indicated in the project word count and statistics. And moreover, duplicates are visually indicated in the GUI (see the left column, you can change the colour for duplicates as well).

Just changed the colour to loud pink, so I won't miss them.

In case you're wondering why I'm suddenly using DVX3, right after buying SDL Studio, after using memoQ, and before that CafeTran
… I realised Déjà Vu is currently the only CAT tool with full Dragon support. memoQ has it too, officially, but I cannot get Predictive Typing to work with Dragon switched on (i.e. in green/listening mode), no matter what I do.

Michael

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
A bit more Oct 26, 2016

VIP9N wrote:

...I want to overwrite previously confirmed segments, … and preferably also confirm them afterwards.

It is not a trouble that you cannot, it is its feature. It is the way DVX works: no automatic propagation like in, for instance, Memo or Trados. Only manually, pressing F9 and checking a proposed change. If you cannot get used to this, you better look at other tools.

Kind regards and good luck Michael.

Once you've done that, the segments with the new translations are marked as Fuzzy Propagated Segments. So you can just choose those, select all (you need to press Enter to go into selection mode for this), and confirm. It might also be nice to be able to sort the segments alphabetically (as Mikhailo mentions), select the sections you need, clear those, and enter the new translation, but I can't get it to do that. Why Atril should have avoided allowing your suggested option, Michael, is, like many things Atril do, not entirely clear to me. If they had it, I might use it sometimes, but as far as I'm concerned it's not that important.

"Duplicate segments", by the way, is another filter. However, in my experience you do actually need to get the thing to find the duplicates (Project - Find Duplicates) in order for it to recognise all of them.

(The above is general information for anyone reading.)

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
do I wonder? Oct 26, 2016

In case you're wondering why I'm suddenly using DVX3, right after buying SDL Studio, after using memoQ, and before that CafeTran
… I realised Déjà Vu is currently the only CAT tool with full Dragon support. memoQ has it too, officially, but I cannot get Predictive Typing to work with Dragon switched on (i.e. in green/listening mode), no matter what I do.

Michael

Ha ha! I wonder only why you did not test DVX 10 or 15 years ago. DVX was released in 2003 and most of the features mentioned above were included even in the first version of DVX1. Competitors/copycats still do not have some of these features. But possibly you are much younger than me, generation memoQ?

New build (already beta testing) will include a feature that you will like, sorry no clues here

DVX is a super CAT but it was never good in marketing.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:48
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Keep us updated, Michael... Oct 26, 2016

Michael

... what you think of DVX3 compared to all the other CATs when you are a bit more comfortable with that tool (I understand it is the first time you use it).

Matthias

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what, no clues! ;-) Oct 26, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Michael

Ha ha! I wonder only why you did not test DVX 10 or 15 years ago. DVX was released in 2003 and most of the features mentioned above were included even in the first version of DVX1. Competitors/copycats still do not have some of these features. But possibly you are much younger than me, generation memoQ?

New build (already beta testing) will include a feature that you will like, sorry no clues here

I'm 40, so I might indeed be "generation memoQ"

I think the main reason I never tested it in the past, believe it or not, is because of its lack of termbase match highlighting in the source box. Oh yeah, and its terrible implementation of synonyms. However, to be honest, I've been using it for a day or two now and actually kind of like not having all of my source box cluttered with brackets or highlighting, which allows me to focus on the meaning of the segment for a change. Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch it on and off with a keyboard shortcut.

Oh yeah, and I'd like to be able to switch "Show all formatting marks" on and off with a keyboard shortcut, as I prefer to leave it off when translating (so I can focus on the meaning), but occasionally want to quickly switch it on to double check something. Could probably already achieve this using AHK. Hopefully.

Michael

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
New build Oct 26, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Michael

Hi Selçuk

Do you know when the new build will be released? Not only Atril isn't good at marketing, but they are quite bad in answering questions. Any information will be appreciated.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will do! Oct 26, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Michael

... what you think of DVX3 compared to all the other CATs when you are a bit more comfortable with that tool (I understand it is the first time you use it).

Matthias

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to DVX3. How can I …

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »