I'm unable to open Dejavu x2 and Dejavu x3
Thread poster: Rut Shaham
Rut Shaham
Rut Shaham
Israel
Local time: 01:26
English to Hebrew
Aug 9, 2017

The dialog box reads: The engine has encountered a problem and needs to close; error: unable to open the settings file.
What should I do?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you installed software recently? Aug 9, 2017

Rut Shaham wrote:

The dialog box reads: The engine has encountered a problem and needs to close; error: unable to open the settings file.
What should I do?

Has your computer crashed? Gotten malware or similar situation?

You may go to www.atril.com and search their support, or write to [email protected] with a detailed question.

Déjà Vu requires the settings file to be present in order to operate. For DVX2, the file is settings.dvset and it is found in C:/Users/[computer username/All Users]/ATRIL/Déjà Vu X2/
If you use DVX3, just go to C:/Users/[computer username/All Users]/ATRIL/Déjà Vu X3/

I am no DVX support technician, but I have been using the product since 1999.

Good luck!

Rut Shaham
Rut Shaham
Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but no, Aug 10, 2017

the software was installed a year ago (Dejavu x2) and 3 months ago (Dejavu x3). My computer has been working fine ever since. I last used both softwares on the day before they stopped operating.

Guelvanovsky
Guelvanovsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Same here Aug 10, 2017

Rut Shaham wrote:

What should I do?

I actually have the same problem: my Deja Vu X3 won't start, giving the following message - Error 10: Unable to open the Settings file in C:\ProgramData\Atril\Deja Vu X3\Settings.dvset

I strongly believe that it has something to do with the Windows update, which was on the 9th of August. Deja worked absolutely trouble-free befor that happened. Has anybody solved the problem yet? Googling actually did not help.

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 02:26
English to Russian
+ ...
re Aug 10, 2017

Guelvanovsky wrote:

Rut Shaham wrote:

What should I do?

I actually have the same problem: my Deja Vu X3 won't start, giving the following message - Error 10: Unable to open the Settings file in C:\ProgramData\Atril\Deja Vu X3\Settings.dvset

I strongly believe that it has something to do with the Windows update, which was on the 9th of August. Deja worked absolutely trouble-free befor that happened. Has anybody solved the problem yet? Googling actually did not help.

Check permissions for exe & folder. Check Windows defender settings. Rollback last update.

Ryszard Jarza
Ryszard Jarza  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:26
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
Same here - seems to be related to the last Win cumulative update (Windows 7 Ult/Pro, PL version) Aug 10, 2017

Hi,

we have the same problem and I know of at least one more colleague who is experiencing it, too.

DVX 2 on all our Win7 Ultimate and Pro PL machines would not start today morning! Reverting the last cumulative update solved the problem, but it's just a temporary fix, because we eventually need Windows security updates.

I think Atril should really look into it urgently. We will report it later today to their support, now we are too busy with fixing all the
... See more
Hi,

we have the same problem and I know of at least one more colleague who is experiencing it, too.

DVX 2 on all our Win7 Ultimate and Pro PL machines would not start today morning! Reverting the last cumulative update solved the problem, but it's just a temporary fix, because we eventually need Windows security updates.

I think Atril should really look into it urgently. We will report it later today to their support, now we are too busy with fixing all the mess...

Ryszard
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
DVX3: Move settings.dvset to a different folder Aug 10, 2017

If you are using DVX3, try this and it may work. Move settings.dvset from its default folder to another one, then go to Files->Options-> General, scroll down to the bottom and modify shared settings path to point to the new folder where settings.dvset resides.

I am using Windows 10 and it updated this morning. I am able to use DVX3 normally.

[Edited at 2017-08-10 10:42 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Workaround for Windows 10 Aug 10, 2017

Ryszard Jarza wrote:

We have the same problem and I know of at least one more colleague who is experiencing it, too.

Indeed...

I think Atril should really look into it urgently. We will report it later today to their support, now we are too busy with fixing all the mess...

Already done but more some reports and examples are welcome.
The bug affects many non Western European versions of Windows (Japanese, Polish, Russian etc.).

See below a CLUMSY WORKAROUND for Windows 10.
I.e. Atril should fix this bug ASAP.

If you have a notebook, connect the power cable.
Then click:

Start Menu
Settings
Windows Update
Update history (blue text, on the right)
Uninstall updates (blue text)
In the windows, search the update containing KB4034674, installed recently (the list may be very long, so first at all, search for the Windows section).
Click the Uninstall button.
It will take some time, the machine will be restarted at least one time.

DVX should start to work.

In order to avoid the automatic MS update reinstallation:
Download the file
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab
from
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window
Click it.
Click Next (it may take some time...)
Click Hide Updates.
Tick the update containing KB4034674 (probably the last one)
Click Next (it may take some time...)
On the next screen, click "Close the tool".

I repeat, it's only a TEMPORARY workaround.
The definitive solution should be provided by Atril.

PS
The workaround for Windows 7 is similar but far simpler...

Catspeed
GG

Guelvanovsky
Guelvanovsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Atril reply Aug 10, 2017

I rolled my Windows 8.1 back. It solved the problem. Here's what Atril says on the whole thing:

"The problem seems to be caused by a recent update to Windows 10, the "August 2017 cumulative update".

Until we are able to release a patch that allows DVX3 to work with this update, users are recommended to avoid installing the update. If the update is already installed, the temporary workaround is to restore Windows to the latest recovery point, then block (hide) the August
... See more
I rolled my Windows 8.1 back. It solved the problem. Here's what Atril says on the whole thing:

"The problem seems to be caused by a recent update to Windows 10, the "August 2017 cumulative update".

Until we are able to release a patch that allows DVX3 to work with this update, users are recommended to avoid installing the update. If the update is already installed, the temporary workaround is to restore Windows to the latest recovery point, then block (hide) the August 2017 cumulative update (run Windows update, then see the update
list and right click the August 2017 update, then click to hide it).

Regards,

Lorenzo Benito
Support Department"
Collapse

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
We are currently working on the issue Aug 10, 2017

Hello everyone,

Atril team is aware of the issue and is working hard to resolve it as quickly as possible. As it was mentioned before, the temporary solution is to uninstall the latest Windows update: https://goo.gl/Xdxbv1

We will update this thread as soon as this is fixed.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Kind regards,
Mat
... See more
Hello everyone,

Atril team is aware of the issue and is working hard to resolve it as quickly as possible. As it was mentioned before, the temporary solution is to uninstall the latest Windows update: https://goo.gl/Xdxbv1

We will update this thread as soon as this is fixed.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Kind regards,
Matylda

[Edited at 2017-08-10 20:17 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX3: Move settings.dvset to a different folder... revisited... Aug 10, 2017

QUOI wrote:

If you are using DVX3, try this and it may work. Move settings.dvset from its default folder to another one,

It's important to MOVE the file.
It should not be present in the C:\ProgramData\Atril\Déjà Vu X3 folder.

The target path should not contain diacritics nor national/special characters (see below)
Run DVX, it will throw a GAZILLION of error messages (acknolwledge 'em all) but it will finally open.

then go to Files->Options-> General, scroll down to the bottom and modify shared settings path to point to the new folder where settings.dvset resides

It works.
Probably you should also define other paths in this section (not tested yet).
The procedure should work for both DVX2 and DVX3 (it's probably the same bug).
Of course, in this case, the source path is C:\ProgramData\Atril\Déjà Vu X2

The advantage is you don't need to block the Windows update, at least in Windows 10.

BTW
It's a new incarnation of a very, very old DVX bug related to the diacritics in the path name...
It's a good practice to not use names containing diacritics for sensitive data...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2017-08-10 15:33 GMT]

Rut Shaham
Rut Shaham
Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all, I'll follow your advice later on, meanwhile I'm working without my CAT tool Aug 10, 2017

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Incorrect problem description on the Atril site... Aug 10, 2017

Atril_TEAM wrote:

Your problem description is partially incorrect.
Quoting:

Updates for both Windows 10 and Windows 7 have been released that affect the Jet Database Engine. These updates make it impossible for Déjà Vu to create new databases, or even open existing ones.

I.e. it's possible to access/create databases, add entries etc.
The "only" problem is DVX3 can't access the setting.dvset file located by default in a folder which name contains chars with diacritics, i.e. C:\ProgramData\Atril\Déjà Vu X3.
If you move these files and run DVX, you'll be able to declare new location for shared setting files (after a looong series of error messages...).

Tested today (not extensively, i.e. some filters may not work etc.).

The configuration files/folders should never contain diacritics, only "classic" ASCII chars and numbers, it's a good practice, they're simply bulleproof...

Of course, the primary cause is the way MS handles code page conversions in different localized Windows versions but you should not rely blindly on these guys...
I think it's the third (?) time I see some variant of this kind of diacritics related problem in DVX (e.g. during some time, I was unable to create templates in DVX3).

Catspeed
GG

[Edited at 2017-08-10 16:51 GMT]

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 02:26
English to Russian
+ ...
re Aug 10, 2017

The "only" problem is DVX3 can't access the setting.dvset file located by default in a folder which name contains chars with diacritics, i.e. C:\ProgramData\Atril\Déjà Vu X3.
If you move these files and run DVX, you'll be able to declare new location for shared setting files (after a looong series of error messages...).

May be better solution - change folder name to C:\ProgramData\Atril\Deja Vu X3
and change all C:\ProgramData\Atril\Déjà Vu X3 to C:\ProgramData\Atril\Deja Vu X3 in registry?

C:\ProgramData\Atril\Déjà Vu X3 contains not only settings file.

I can't understand ATRIL child bug with non-standart symbols in folder names (This problems appeared so much time in othe soft), and why having not found file DVX3 does not propose to find it manually.

[Редактировалось 2017-08-10 17:03 GMT]

SOLUTION
change folder name C:\ProgramData\Atril\Déjà Vu X3 to C:\ProgramData\Atril\Deja Vu X3
In registry change all Atril\Déjà Vu X3 to Atril\Deja Vu X3 (a many many times)
It works.

[Редактировалось 2017-08-10 17:44 GMT]

ATRIL - in next version gives users to decide, what language to install even for speelchecker. I'm tired to correct the registry

[Редактировалось 2017-08-10 17:46 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Time travel... workaround #3 Aug 10, 2017

Hi

The easiest and the most stupid workaround
Attention, it may break other programs or modify their behavior in an unexpected way, use with caution...
At least, it's easily reversible unless a program like that is really poorly written.

Tested on Windows 7 but s similar solution should also work in W10.

Control Panel
Clock, Language and Region
Region and language set
... See more
Hi

The easiest and the most stupid workaround
Attention, it may break other programs or modify their behavior in an unexpected way, use with caution...
At least, it's easily reversible unless a program like that is really poorly written.

Tested on Windows 7 but s similar solution should also work in W10.

Control Panel
Clock, Language and Region
Region and language settings
Region and Language
Administrative (last tab)
Change system locale (lower big button)
Select e.g. English (United States)
Restart.

Rejoice

In fact, it's not funny at all.
The last time I had to use this kind of trick, it was many years ago in a galaxy far, far away, fighting against Trados&Word combo, the evil font destroyer.
I never, ever imagined I would use this workaround 15 years later for DVX...

Catspeed
GG

[Edited at 2017-08-11 12:45 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm unable to open Dejavu x2 and Dejavu x3

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »