Thread poster: melTwardawa
melTwardawa
melTwardawa
Local time: 09:11
English to German
+ ...
Jul 22, 2008

Hi all

I was wondering if you could help me clear a question Im not 10% sure about. I did my DPSI (law option) last year and am now in the process of applying with NRPSI. Since I did the diploma I moved to London. Will I have to do the Interpreters' test for the Metropolitan Police or will my diploma be sufficient to work for them?

Thanks so much for your help

mel

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Met Police Test Jul 25, 2008

I am fairly certain that you have to take the Metropolitan Police Test to be able to get on their interpreters' list.

You can get more information from the MPS Language Services. Don't forget to ask them about their need for interpreters in your particular language pair(s).

Be prepared: half of the test is translation, and you have to be fast. There is some information about the test on the internet, particularly on the IoL website, and you can inquire about the test
... See more
I am fairly certain that you have to take the Metropolitan Police Test to be able to get on their interpreters' list.

You can get more information from the MPS Language Services. Don't forget to ask them about their need for interpreters in your particular language pair(s).

Be prepared: half of the test is translation, and you have to be fast. There is some information about the test on the internet, particularly on the IoL website, and you can inquire about the test at the IoL Language Services as well.

Good luck
Judith
Collapse

~Ania~
~Ania~  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
Your DPSI will be sufficient Jul 30, 2008

Hi,

I am pretty certain that your DPSI will be sufficient.

Good luck !

Anna

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The Met doesn't accept the DPSI Jul 31, 2008

When I wrote to you earlier, in the back of my mind was that when I took the Met Exam, some years ago, I deliberately chose that instead of a DPSI, because the NRPSI accepts the Met Exam, but not the other way around.

Today I rang the Met Language Services, and they confirmed, that it is still the case.

When somebody applies to be registered, they send a leaflet, where they explain and confirm, that to be registered with the Met, the Metropolitan Police Exam is requir
... See more
When I wrote to you earlier, in the back of my mind was that when I took the Met Exam, some years ago, I deliberately chose that instead of a DPSI, because the NRPSI accepts the Met Exam, but not the other way around.

Today I rang the Met Language Services, and they confirmed, that it is still the case.

When somebody applies to be registered, they send a leaflet, where they explain and confirm, that to be registered with the Met, the Metropolitan Police Exam is required, regardless of having a DPSI.
Collapse

~Ania~
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
Website link Jul 31, 2008

The criteria for entry onto the NRPSI are either the Met Test or DPSI, there are other options too - check out their website at http://www.nrpsi.co.uk/applications/index.htm and click on Criteria for Entry (opens in PDF format).

There are other requirements too; you must provide 2 references, be CRB checked etc.

Good luck!

~Ania~
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
Re: Juvera's post Jul 31, 2008

Juvera, you must have been misinformed, that is not the case.

[Edited at 2008-07-31 13:02]

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Please read the original question Jul 31, 2008

Anna Burgess wrote:

The criteria for entry onto the NRPSI are either the Met Test or DPSI, there are other options too - check out their website at http://www.nrpsi.co.uk/applications/index.htm and click on Criteria for Entry (opens in PDF format).

There are other requirements too; you must provide 2 references, be CRB checked etc.
Good luck!

That is correct, however the question was not that.

The question was: would a DPSI certificate sufficient to interpret for the Metropolitan Police?

The website you quote does NOT say, that the DPSI qualifies the interpreter to obtain registration to the Met Police interpreters panel. It says that the Met Test qualifies the interpreter to register on the NRPSI.

You have to be registered with the Met to have a chance to get work from them, and to be able to register, you need to pass the Met Test.
They only use interpreters not registered with them as a last resort.

My source is the Metropolitan Police Language Services, who deal with the registration of interpreters for the Met Police. I was talking to them earlier today, and I doubt that they would misinform me.

~Ania~
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
More... Aug 3, 2008

The name "Metropolitan Police" is slightly misleading since the Metropolitan Police Test allows entry onto the NRPSI which in turn lets interpreters work for any police force in the UK.
From what I have heard, the Metropolitan Police in London have their own database and criteria for using interpreters, (this is where your Met Language Services may come in), however, in the rest of the UK, in order to interpret for the police you need to get onto the NRPSI and you can do that whether you
... See more
The name "Metropolitan Police" is slightly misleading since the Metropolitan Police Test allows entry onto the NRPSI which in turn lets interpreters work for any police force in the UK.
From what I have heard, the Metropolitan Police in London have their own database and criteria for using interpreters, (this is where your Met Language Services may come in), however, in the rest of the UK, in order to interpret for the police you need to get onto the NRPSI and you can do that whether you have a DPSI or a Met Test.

[Edited at 2008-08-03 02:57]
Collapse

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dear Anna, Aug 3, 2008

...that's what I was saying all along, with the exception of the:
"slightly misleading" name of the Metropolitan Police.
There is nothing misleading about it.

"My" Language Service does come in: they are the organisation within the Metropolitan Police responsible for all aspects of interpreters’ management for the Met.

I am surprised that you are so unfamiliar with them, yet profess to know their requirements and criteria.
You can look them up on t
... See more
...that's what I was saying all along, with the exception of the:
"slightly misleading" name of the Metropolitan Police.
There is nothing misleading about it.

"My" Language Service does come in: they are the organisation within the Metropolitan Police responsible for all aspects of interpreters’ management for the Met.

I am surprised that you are so unfamiliar with them, yet profess to know their requirements and criteria.
You can look them up on the Met website.
Collapse

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
This is a forum for making suggestions Aug 4, 2008

It is not very nice to make digs at people who are just putting in their comments and experience...

Liz Askew

alexandra salinasova
alexandra salinasova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
yes as a "nerpsi" interpreter you are seemingly the last resort Jul 20, 2016

A year or two ago I had a PC from the met police smiled at me and asked did I have a met number or was I a "nerpsi" interpreter. I said I was both (I had a Met number but not sure what happened to that), and he said never mind it did not matter, one was as good as the other.

However I do think that I am their "last resort", on one occasion I know they used all other interpreters before me (big project, and they finished it early so they did not need me in the end), and also on their
... See more
A year or two ago I had a PC from the met police smiled at me and asked did I have a met number or was I a "nerpsi" interpreter. I said I was both (I had a Met number but not sure what happened to that), and he said never mind it did not matter, one was as good as the other.

However I do think that I am their "last resort", on one occasion I know they used all other interpreters before me (big project, and they finished it early so they did not need me in the end), and also on their assignment forms (form 319) they have to justify themselves for not using someone from their list (they call them CAD interpreters, I think) I guess they may have tightened their rules...
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not needed Jul 24, 2016

You do not need the DPI/Met Test if you already have the DPSI Law. This is clearly stated on the CIoL website.

https://www.ciol.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=coil:norelated&id=206&Itemid=673

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May help to look at the dates Jul 24, 2016

The original question and replies were dated 2008.
Lot of water flew down the Thames since.
The system changed about two years ago, rendering this thread well out of date in every respect.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not true Jul 24, 2016

juvera wrote:
The system changed about two years ago, rendering this thread well out of date in every respect.

What changed was the contracting of services only and all of the above remains valid. Plenty of interpreters are still unsure whether they need the DPI (former Met Police Test) or not.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

DPSI > DPI/Met Police Test Jul 24, 2016

Diana Coada wrote:

juvera wrote:

What changed was the contracting of services only and all of the above remains valid. Plenty of interpreters are still unsure whether they need the DPI (former Met Police Test) or not.

Diana's quotation from the website of CIOL is the latest information, hence it's accurate and up to date.

Both holders of DPI and DPSI qualification are eligible to register with NRPSI from which Thames Police would look for the registrants who have either/both qualifications to work for them.

If at all possible I advise candidates try to get qualified for DPSI Law as the first preference. If not, try DPI as the immediate alternative. A few of my DPSI course classmates went down this route and were happy with what they wanted.

Hope the OP finds this helpful.

David

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting for Metropolitan Police

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »