Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What are interpreting agency rates in the UK really??
Thread poster: Ania Heasley
Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:53
Member (2009)
German to English
Link worked last night, but not today Apr 6, 2011

How strange

I clicked on the link last night and skim read the article. What I found interesting was the price the agency was charging for translation.. 13.4 pence (UK) per word.

However when I clicked on the link this morning its gone

Someone must have realised that it really isnt a good idea to have business contracts open on the net!

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:53
English to Polish
+ ...
the link is OK Apr 6, 2011

Alice Crisan wrote:

HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

Rather than clicking on the direct .pdf link at the top of the page (which indeed doesn't work), just scroll down to see the document.

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
Ah! Apr 6, 2011

I clicked on the pdf link last night, and did the same again this morning, I'm glad the document is still there if you scroll down, I missed that when quickly rechecking the link!

Thanks

S.Paramesh Kumar
S.Paramesh Kumar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:23
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Interpretation rates Apr 9, 2011

Hi Ania good morning!
Came across your post as was myself trying to find out interpretation rates across Europe.

Here's a Proz link to interpretation rates in France. Hope this is of some help to you.

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/189344-interpretation_rates.html

Going by what I read -
Rates in France:
... See more
Hi Ania good morning!
Came across your post as was myself trying to find out interpretation rates across Europe.

Here's a Proz link to interpretation rates in France. Hope this is of some help to you.

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/189344-interpretation_rates.html

Going by what I read -
Rates in France:

minimum rate - agency - 550€ > per day/per interpreter
minimum rate - direct client - 650/750€ > per day/per interpreter

There appears to be a big difference between France & UK rates!!

Perhaps someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but rates mentioned elesewhere are they applicable only for UK.

Cheers!
Parmesh
FR>EN
Bangalore, India
Collapse

Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree Apr 9, 2011

Henry Hinds wrote:

19 euros per hour is miserable in my part of the world and I'm sure it is there also.

[Editado a las 2011-03-24 15:09 GMT]

In my state (in the US), the minimum pay for interpreters is $34.00/hour. That means it goes UP from that point the more experience and training you have. My calculator says that 19 Euro is about $26.

Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you Krzysztof Apr 10, 2011

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

Alice Crisan wrote:

HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

Rather than clicking on the direct .pdf link at the top of the page (which indeed doesn't work), just scroll down to see the document.

It`s ok now

Aneta79
Aneta79
United Kingdom
Polish to English
Average pay is 16.00 p/h May 3, 2014

Most agencies in London pay 16.00 per hour (24/7) for the first hour and 15.00 for any additional hours. No travel money.
The job is very unreliable and it is definitely not full-time. You get a few assignments per week, if you are lucky, and that's it.
I do it only because I really like it. If it was only for the money I wouldn't even bother to leave the house. I usually spend two hours getting to the assignment and back, so 16.00 pounds for three hours...??? I will let you do the
... See more
Most agencies in London pay 16.00 per hour (24/7) for the first hour and 15.00 for any additional hours. No travel money.
The job is very unreliable and it is definitely not full-time. You get a few assignments per week, if you are lucky, and that's it.
I do it only because I really like it. If it was only for the money I wouldn't even bother to leave the house. I usually spend two hours getting to the assignment and back, so 16.00 pounds for three hours...??? I will let you do the calculation...
Even if you have the DPSI and you should be paid more, they still send Community Interpreters because it's cheaper for the service provider, so you can save 700.00 pounds for the exam because it's not going to make any difference.
Also, the NHS wants to reduce the number of Face to Face Interpreters and replace them with cheaper phone interpreting.
Collapse

victoriamedina
victoriamedina
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
NHS: £16/20 an hour Jul 17, 2016

Hi, I worked in the interpreting department of a London-based agency and I can confirm that the pay varies depending on the sector it is. The agency I used to work for mainly managed NHS-related bookings and those were paid at £20 an hour with no option of paying travel time or travel cost due to the tight budget the agency has for these NHS bookings. However, by being in contact with our pool of interpreters, you sometimes have a bit of small talk and some told me they were registered with oth... See more
Hi, I worked in the interpreting department of a London-based agency and I can confirm that the pay varies depending on the sector it is. The agency I used to work for mainly managed NHS-related bookings and those were paid at £20 an hour with no option of paying travel time or travel cost due to the tight budget the agency has for these NHS bookings. However, by being in contact with our pool of interpreters, you sometimes have a bit of small talk and some told me they were registered with other agencies as well which only paid £16 an hour also without travel costs.

In favour of the agencies, I must also say that this only happens in NHS-related bookings, for other types of assignments which were outside London or in prisons, interviews and obviously, those coming from the private sector, they have much much better rates which sometimes duplicate and triplicate those of the public sector and include travel time, travel cost, diet, flights and accomodation.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
removed Jul 18, 2016

removed

[Edited at 2016-07-19 12:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-19 12:13 GMT]

Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
You can still get a decent rate. But don't ask, don't get. Jul 19, 2016

Ania Heasley wrote:

@ Bin - thank you for an actual hourly rate, this has confirmed my worst fears.

@ Everybody else - thank you for your advice to 'tell them what your rates are' but I think we all know that this is not how agencies (AGENCIES, I stress) work.

They have a glut of interpreters from what I gather, they set the rate, and you decide whether you are going to find a better rate elsewhere, or you grin and bear it for a while.
When I find an agency (I stress again: AGENCY) in the UK that pays more than £25 per hour, and the same (ha ha ha) for travelling time I will let you know. Do not hold your breath!

I was paid £250 for a half day last year. It was a court interpreting job but in the commercial sector - I won't go into more detail than that due to NDA etc, but the point is, the agency (based in London) asked me for my rate, I gave it to them along with a description of my experience and CV, and they assigned the job to me. That is, in my opinion, the way it should work.

Edited to add that I do know that the NHS and other public service interpreting rates are fixed and in such a context one would simply appear ridiculous by asking for a private commercial rate.

[Edited at 2016-07-20 01:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-20 01:49 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are interpreting agency rates in the UK really??

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »