New to interpreting (DPSI) or CCI
Thread poster: Noshaba
Noshaba
Noshaba
United Kingdom
Jun 19, 2016

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Hello, I have lived in the UK for over 20 years and speak fluent English (I studied and worked as an accounts assistant) as well as having been brought up in Pakistan and going throught the education system there, allowing me to speak Urdu and Punjabi. My question is how would I go about entering the Interpreting profession? I have looked at the DPSI course and the Certificate of communty intercepting level 3, and I would like to ask if these are totally ... See more
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Hello, I have lived in the UK for over 20 years and speak fluent English (I studied and worked as an accounts assistant) as well as having been brought up in Pakistan and going throught the education system there, allowing me to speak Urdu and Punjabi. My question is how would I go about entering the Interpreting profession? I have looked at the DPSI course and the Certificate of communty intercepting level 3, and I would like to ask if these are totally necessary? If so, is there any funding available? Thanks, Noshaba.Collapse

MsYvaine
MsYvaine  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
In a nutshell: yes Jun 21, 2016

Hi Noshaba,

What I see of the first and foremost importance to understand is that if someone is bilingual it does not equal to be a language professional such as an interpreter or translator. Solid language skills&knowledge are necessary to start studies in interpreting.
The courses you mentioned should only be regarded as starting points for an interpreting career. They deliver the basics, but the job actually entails a lot more than these courses would ever be able to offer.
... See more
Hi Noshaba,

What I see of the first and foremost importance to understand is that if someone is bilingual it does not equal to be a language professional such as an interpreter or translator. Solid language skills&knowledge are necessary to start studies in interpreting.
The courses you mentioned should only be regarded as starting points for an interpreting career. They deliver the basics, but the job actually entails a lot more than these courses would ever be able to offer. I'd kindly suggest to start researching the industry before making a career change decision to see if it really was something for you. Then choose a course that's suitable for you and your languages. Some providers offer language specific courses and your languages have high demand (and a large supply pool too). Some colleges (in London) offer discounts on their courses for people in receipt of certain benefits. University BA students can apply for Student Finance if they meet their criteria and Met University offers tailor made advice on funding for their prospective MA students.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to interpreting (DPSI) or CCI

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »