Thread poster: Marjolein Snippe
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The worst part Apr 21, 2017

The worst part is that if you're doing your job properly, nobody notices. You suffer alone.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 13:31
Romanian to English
+ ...
Welcome to court interpreting in the US Apr 21, 2017

Daryo wrote:

liviu roth wrote:

a court interpreter does that 8 hours/day, 5 days/week!
From my understanding, you were asked to do simultaneous interpreting (not consecutive, and not translation, as DZiW wrote) of a certain court proceeding. It is normal, and we, court interpreters do it on a daily basis.

interpreting alone (be it consecutive / chuchotage / simultaneous ... whichever) 8 hours/day, 5 days/week ... 52 weeks per year... year in, year out = normal???

Is that some diehard Stakhanovite talking?

If that was coming from people who think that "interpreting is just talking" (IOW a variation on "translating is just glorified typing") I wouldn't be too surprised.

But as far as interpreters I know are concerned, not a single one would consider THAT as "normal" in a year of Sundays. Not to mention what the most serious association of conference interpreters in the world [https://aiic.net/] would have to say to that - most likely their private opinion would be simply unprintable.

[Edited at 2017-04-20 12:50 GMT]

For languages with a lesser diffusion, where it is hard to find two or three interpreters for the same case, it is normal to interpret for 5-9 hours. I have been interpreting for over 25 years and team-work is the exemption. (maybe 10-15 times in all these years).

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:31
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Certainly sounds mad May 31, 2017

liviu roth wrote:

For languages with a lesser diffusion, where it is hard to find two or three interpreters for the same case, it is normal to interpret for 5-9 hours. I have been interpreting for over 25 years and team-work is the exemption. (maybe 10-15 times in all these years).

I’m afraid this also applies to common pairs, where interpreting seems to be done "on the cheap" a lot of the time. Where two people should share the workload, only one is contracted. Unfortunately interpreters seem to go along with this trend.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

6 hours consecutive interpreting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »