Polish-English interpreters in the UK. Police terminology required
Thread poster: robson_
robson_
robson_
Local time: 09:18
Polish to English
Nov 13, 2007

Hi there, I am preparing for the MET test and am looking for any Police/courts glossaries/terminology. Any translations, any notes or anything that may help me prepare. I would be most grateful for any materials, especially from experienced interpreters in the UK. It would be great to consult your views and compare translations, as I am basically relying on my personal opinion, which is not always best.

Thank you loads in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-
... See more
Hi there, I am preparing for the MET test and am looking for any Police/courts glossaries/terminology. Any translations, any notes or anything that may help me prepare. I would be most grateful for any materials, especially from experienced interpreters in the UK. It would be great to consult your views and compare translations, as I am basically relying on my personal opinion, which is not always best.

Thank you loads in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-13 16:36]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-13 16:37]
Collapse

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Croatian Nov 13, 2007

I passed the Met Police test in Croatian. The most valuable source of terminology I found was the Croatian police's own website - it explains all aspects of police work. Coupled with information from the Met's website, and previous exam papers, I was able to compile a useful term bank that has stood me in good stead.

robson_
robson_
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 13, 2007

I have tried the polish police website but I dont really find it usefull. there are certain phrases but not really what I am looking for. Have you got any English terminology you wouldnt mind me having a glance at? I would be most grateful
Thanks

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Polish interpreter Nov 13, 2007

Hi!

I do some interpreting jobs for the police, prison and court. In my humble opinion, the best thing to do is to browse through some legal Polish dictionaries or use the Internet. I find the translations quite accurate. Of course, the legal system in Poland is different but at least, you may find some good equivalent terms, especially on the EU websites. Unfortunately, it means starting from scratch as ready-to-use solutions simply do not exist. I started from making my own glossa
... See more
Hi!

I do some interpreting jobs for the police, prison and court. In my humble opinion, the best thing to do is to browse through some legal Polish dictionaries or use the Internet. I find the translations quite accurate. Of course, the legal system in Poland is different but at least, you may find some good equivalent terms, especially on the EU websites. Unfortunately, it means starting from scratch as ready-to-use solutions simply do not exist. I started from making my own glossaries. In my case, it is all about reading, watching and consulting Polish friends. If you have any problems, I am happy to help.
Collapse

Magda K
Magda K
English to Polish
+ ...
Few suggestions... Nov 13, 2007

Glossary of terms available from CIOL Language Services is a good start (although it only has 6 pages). It has been prepared especially for the MetTest.

You could also try to find some glossaries of legal/police vocab in English and prepare your own Polish translations. (I have a few available from various websites).

What you could also do is just to a court one day to listen to the 'legal talk', make notes and prepare your own glossaries. It is time consuming but rea
... See more
Glossary of terms available from CIOL Language Services is a good start (although it only has 6 pages). It has been prepared especially for the MetTest.

You could also try to find some glossaries of legal/police vocab in English and prepare your own Polish translations. (I have a few available from various websites).

What you could also do is just to a court one day to listen to the 'legal talk', make notes and prepare your own glossaries. It is time consuming but really helps to get used to the language spoken in courts.
Collapse

Sian Herrera-Delgado
Sian Herrera-Delgado
Spanish to English
+ ...
Police interpreting Nov 13, 2007

Hi,
I have also done some interpreting for the Police. I found it really useful to study the Notice of Rights and Entitlements in the language I interpret from (Spanish and French) and I have just checked and seen they do have the Polish version on the website - so I suggest printing off the Polish and English version to compare and study as a starting point.
I have found that it is hard to prepare for these interpreting sessions as you never really know what you will be confronted
... See more
Hi,
I have also done some interpreting for the Police. I found it really useful to study the Notice of Rights and Entitlements in the language I interpret from (Spanish and French) and I have just checked and seen they do have the Polish version on the website - so I suggest printing off the Polish and English version to compare and study as a starting point.
I have found that it is hard to prepare for these interpreting sessions as you never really know what you will be confronted with! I always ask before arriving at the Police Station/Court for a rough idea of what has happened and then think about all the possible words/phrases I may need and quickly look any up in the dictionary that may have slipped my mind/that I am unfamiliar with.
The website address is:
http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/operational-policing/powers-pace-codes/rights-entitlements-foreign-lang?version=1

Hope this helps!
Sian
Collapse

robson_
robson_
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 13, 2007

Thank you all very much it is definitelly very helpful. So thank you, I will take all comments on board) I do have the Met glossary and my own, but still am afraid that I shall be looking for more
Thank you

Dee Anna
Dee Anna
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm also POL- ENG speaking interpreter and I'd like some ore info, if you don't mind to chat. Dec 5, 2016

xxxK S wrote:

Hi!

I do some interpreting jobs for the police, prison and court. In my humble opinion, the best thing to do is to browse through some legal Polish dictionaries or use the Internet. I find the translations quite accurate. Of course, the legal system in Poland is different but at least, you may find some good equivalent terms, especially on the EU websites. Unfortunately, it means starting from scratch as ready-to-use solutions simply do not exist. I started from making my own glossaries. In my case, it is all about reading, watching and consulting Polish friends. If you have any problems, I am happy to help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Polish-English interpreters in the UK. Police terminology required

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »