Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Kudoz-Contribute to this entry - What's the use?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
Italian to English
+ ...
You're right. Unfortunately Sep 22, 2010

ildiko wrote:
I also don't think that entering incorrect translations into the KudoZ glossary is in violation of any site rule. Answerers are free to suggest anything they believe to be correct and askers are free to select the translations they find suitable, it's their prerogative.

Unfortunately you're correct. It's not against any site rule. But the person philgoddard and I are referring to does not "believe their answers to be correct"; they just Google the original query and post whatever they find! And I am PAYING for the site that they do this on!

If the answerer genuinely believes their answer to be correct, I don't have a problem with them entering it (and it is simple to tell when this is the case). It's when some people just put in any old thing, and don't care if it's right or wrong, that annoys me. And this, unfortunately, does happen.

I'll back off your thread now, ildiko. I don't want to hijack it further.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

@ Ryan Sep 22, 2010

Hey Ryan, I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences; I can fully appreciate your frustration... No need to leave & it's not my thread, I'd like to think there's more colleagues interested than just us talkers. Originally this issue was brought up by Tomás, back in May 2009, I just stirred it up a little due to recent substandard glossary entries (which I'd rather not specify here). I do have faith that slowly but surely we'll see improvements - I always have, in my 8 years on the site... See more
Hey Ryan, I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences; I can fully appreciate your frustration... No need to leave & it's not my thread, I'd like to think there's more colleagues interested than just us talkers. Originally this issue was brought up by Tomás, back in May 2009, I just stirred it up a little due to recent substandard glossary entries (which I'd rather not specify here). I do have faith that slowly but surely we'll see improvements - I always have, in my 8 years on the site. : )Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:42
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Any news? Apr 12, 2011

Any news on this issue? It's almost two years since staff have confirmed that this problem will be solved "in the short run" ...

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Bringing this one up again Jan 5, 2015

I just entered my 'disagree' to yet another non-sensical glossary entry and remembered this discussion. Maybe this could be brought back onto the to-do list?

What might work as well, could be to extend the KudoZ 'Squash' feature to glossary entries. I am thinking not only of incorrect glossary entries but also of nonsense such as "Source text: "Need help with sentence!!!" – "Translation: See below". These are bad enough in KudoZ and certainly shouldn't make their way into the glos
... See more
I just entered my 'disagree' to yet another non-sensical glossary entry and remembered this discussion. Maybe this could be brought back onto the to-do list?

What might work as well, could be to extend the KudoZ 'Squash' feature to glossary entries. I am thinking not only of incorrect glossary entries but also of nonsense such as "Source text: "Need help with sentence!!!" – "Translation: See below". These are bad enough in KudoZ and certainly shouldn't make their way into the glossary.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz-Contribute to this entry - What's the use?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »