Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:53
French to English
+ ...
But... Jan 5, 2015

sometimes no right answer is provided or you think that the right one might appear. Not talking about serial offenders, but just that some open questions are a standing challenge to be addressed at a later point.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:53
English to German
+ ...
When the asker can't be bothered Jan 5, 2015

Rachel Fell wrote:

sometimes no right answer is provided or you think that the right one might appear. Not talking about serial offenders, but just that some open questions are a standing challenge to be addressed at a later point.

But that's often not the case. There are right answers and they're supported, so they should be closed. When the asker can't be bothered to close his/her question, even though there are plenty of reasons for it, he/she should be forced to close it before he/she can ask another one. And if there aren't any answers or agrees, there should be a time limit and the question should close automatically with no points awarded. Can't wait forever. My thoughts.

[Edited at 2015-01-05 03:08 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:23
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This is an issue in the English-Hindi kudoz too Jan 5, 2015

I know of at least one asker in the English to Hindi forum who is notorious for not grading the questions he asks. He is a nit-picker and raises endless questions and counter-questions in the discussion forum of the questions he asks, and also in the asker feedback box of the answers he receives. Sometimes he even directly emails the answerers with his more questions!

Yet he is coy of grading the questions he asks, which he often closes ungraded. One excuse he uses is that he is una
... See more
I know of at least one asker in the English to Hindi forum who is notorious for not grading the questions he asks. He is a nit-picker and raises endless questions and counter-questions in the discussion forum of the questions he asks, and also in the asker feedback box of the answers he receives. Sometimes he even directly emails the answerers with his more questions!

Yet he is coy of grading the questions he asks, which he often closes ungraded. One excuse he uses is that he is unable to decide which is the best answer, as all the answers seem good to him. He has also claimed that he is diffident about choosing one answer as the right one as the answerers are so much more senior to him and knowledgeable about Hindi that he feels he has no right to pick one against the other, which he feels would be disrespectful to his senior colleagues!

But I suspect, he has other ulterior reasons for leaving answers ungraded. Most of the questions he asks are simplistic and from the comments he makes in the discussion forums, he does not exhibit sufficient critical knowledge of Hindi to be able to correctly grade answers. He is afraid wrong grading would expose his incompetence in Hindi and is therefore cagey about committing himself in such an open forum where his grading would be visible to potential outsourcers and other clients for ages to come.

Whatever the reason, it is quite irritating when faced with such ingratitude and I have almost stopped answering any of his questions, even though he is a prolific asker.

Another common and more understandable reason for not closing kudoz questions is that often (at least in the English-Hindi kudoz forum) they are asked by people who are not members of proz.com. These people often don't know the kudoz rules and since they have no profiles, the system cannot remind them to close the questions they have asked. Possibly, after asking their questions, they simply move on and never visit proz.com ever again.

If the questions have received sufficient answers and if the answers have many agrees, the robot grades them after a week, otherwise they remain unclosed and ungraded.

[Edited at 2015-01-05 09:27 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:53
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Closing Kudoz questions to ask more questions Jan 5, 2015

I know one person in my language pair who does this. She rarely closes questions, and when she has to ask more questions, she would close one or two questions to be able to ask more questions. It seems she is a site-user, and has limits regarding asking Kudoz questions.

Me? I know her tactics, so I never answer her questions even if I know the correct answer and she is filtered.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:53
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Estado: Aberto Jan 5, 2015

Linda Miranda wrote:

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

… is it possible to view a list of kudoz questions that haven't been graded/closed?

and then "Status: open"

So you see all open questions in the language(s) and fields you want.

Of course, you should go at least to the second page, as the other ones are too recent.

Happy agreeing:-)

(I do this myself from time to time as I find questions not closed are irritating for the answerer(s) and prove ingratitudine from the asker)

[Editado em 2015-01-03 22:49 GMT]

Dear Linda,

If you want to see open KudoZ questions in your language pairs, you must first make a search from http://www.proz.com/kudoz selecting the option "Estado: Aberto". This option is shown below the drop-down menu of fields of expertise.

Hope this explains. Please let me know if you have any question, or need anything else.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz questions which are never closed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »