Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:26
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Got sick and tired of KudoZ altogether May 7, 2014

Dear all,

This is probably not the right place to make this remark but I pretty much gave up participating in KudoZ.

I found that there were too many 'silly' questions (easy to answer) from lazy, unprofessional askers.
Also, in my language pair a couple of guys seem to have nothing else to do all day long than try to reply to all questions as quickly as possible. I suppose they're doing it for points. As a professional and paying member seeing other professional
... See more
Dear all,

This is probably not the right place to make this remark but I pretty much gave up participating in KudoZ.

I found that there were too many 'silly' questions (easy to answer) from lazy, unprofessional askers.
Also, in my language pair a couple of guys seem to have nothing else to do all day long than try to reply to all questions as quickly as possible. I suppose they're doing it for points. As a professional and paying member seeing other professional (semi-retired?) paying members rush to answer anything from anyone ended up bothering me.
Occasionnally when I see an interesting question from someone serious, I look into it.

I had to get it off my chest!

Good afternoon to everyone.

Catherine
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree wholeheartedly. May 7, 2014

Catherine De Crignis wrote:

Dear all,

As a professional and paying member seeing other professional (semi-retired?) paying members rush to answer anything from anyone ended up bothering me.

Catherine

Thanks Catherine. I empathize with both of those sentences.

It also bothers me when people ask questions which seem to show a lack of understanding of their target language! Particularly when coupled with a lack of understanding of the subject matter!!

[Edited at 2014-05-07 15:34 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Question number 6000 has just been posted. May 29, 2014

Question number 6000 has just been posted. I'm not mentioning any names because basically there is no need to. Naturally guideline 2.1 has been breached 100%. Anyone who opens a dictionary and/or looks in the Kudoz glossary will be able to answer this easy 6000th question posted as "pro" (ah them thar pointzzzzzzzzzz).
There are no rulez or guidelinez to stop such askers whose main contribution to Kudoz is turning a once valid and helpful part of this site into a complete joke. To the det
... See more
Question number 6000 has just been posted. I'm not mentioning any names because basically there is no need to. Naturally guideline 2.1 has been breached 100%. Anyone who opens a dictionary and/or looks in the Kudoz glossary will be able to answer this easy 6000th question posted as "pro" (ah them thar pointzzzzzzzzzz).
There are no rulez or guidelinez to stop such askers whose main contribution to Kudoz is turning a once valid and helpful part of this site into a complete joke. To the detriment of us all.
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We argue for being taken seriously as Translators. May 29, 2014

writeaway wrote:

There are no rulez or guidelinez to stop such askers whose main contribution to Kudoz is turning a once valid and helpful part of this site into a complete joke. To the detriment of us all.

But we allow crowdsourcing that calls the whole profession into disrepute.

There is a Guideline, but it is ignored by users and site staff. Better to just delete it - it's PC eye-candy.

This reminds me of the early days of Spammers. Sandford Wallace claimed he was a "bandwidth partner" with a Telco called Agis i.e. he generated millions of spam messages and paid a pittance for each - but it was all revenue for Agis. We have a similar situation here, schoolchild-level questions (apologies to any serious schoolchildren who are reading) are tolerated as providing fodder for beginners to get easy KudoZ points hence keeping them and their subscriptions hooked.

Fortunately, Agis quickly went out of business!

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
What, indeed, is the point? Jan 2, 2015

DLyons wrote:

What's the point of having a guideline if a user is allowed to completely ignore it? Specifically the one: "Help" KudoZ should be used for requesting terms help only after other resources have been exhausted.

In recent times, I've been watching a specific user post a series of trivial questions which Google Translate effectively answers. This is within the Rules and is left unaddressed.

So, I've decided that, if they are still doing this when my time to renew my ProZ membership arises, then I won't be renewing. One can always vote with one's feet!

This is something I've often wondered, especially since, when you do decide to vote a question "NON-PRO", you get asked whether you are certain that the question could easily be answered by any bilingual person WITHOUT THE AID OF A DICTIONARY.

What IS the point then of requesting us to check dictionaries and other resources before posting questions? To me, this seems totally contradictory.

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
yep! Jan 2, 2015

writeaway wrote:

2.1 (Guideline): "Help" KudoZ should be used for requesting terms help only after other resources have been exhausted. Resources available include the KudoZ archives (KudoZ > ProZ.com Term Search from the main menu), dictionaries, search engines, etc. If translations are found elsewhere and the decision to post a KudoZ question is made nevertheless, information found elsewhere should be included, along with an explanation of what further information is sought.

I suggest putting teeth back into this guideline and making it a rule that is enforced. That will put an end to a great deal of abuse without targeting any one individual. It's just a common sense rule anyway that professional translators abide by on a daily basis in real life. There is no reason why Proz shouldn't try to instill a little bit of professional behaviour as well. I don't think many people will object to answering problem questions once all the basic groundwork has been done by the person asking.

… and allow downgrading to Non-Pro if the simple use of a dictionary would have supplied the answer

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repeated breaches of Guideline.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »