Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?
Thread poster: Christina B.
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for confirming and friendly gesture May 3, 2015

I mean "thank you" in the best sense - "thanks for confirming" and "hello, nice to hear from you," sometimes, people will add comments which help and I find it okay to thank you for that as well. I might write "thank you, for your comments as well." And it simply is a communication tool. If I don't say anything, it could be construed as "I don't care' whether or not you agree. Why should that person come back again if no one seems to care anyway? Not saying anything is to me like two ships pass... See more
I mean "thank you" in the best sense - "thanks for confirming" and "hello, nice to hear from you," sometimes, people will add comments which help and I find it okay to thank you for that as well. I might write "thank you, for your comments as well." And it simply is a communication tool. If I don't say anything, it could be construed as "I don't care' whether or not you agree. Why should that person come back again if no one seems to care anyway? Not saying anything is to me like two ships passing in the night without two-way communication.
One ship radios to the other "Looking sharp," and the other one sails on like a ghost ship. Oh, I sometimes add smileys as well to express happiness. I am sure some will find something wrong with that too.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 20:17 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ungrateful B... May 6, 2015

PS: I've just realise that I have become more reluctant to post a "thank you" to my agrees since commenting on this poll... Not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing. Perhaps it just shows how impressionable I am...

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you May 6, 2015

Nobody has ever come back to me saying: why on earth did you thank me for that you toady little character?

So, I guess I will continue thanking people who spend their time in expressing their opinions on my input. "Y no pasa nada".

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:06
Hebrew to English
Politeness maxims May 6, 2015

I'm reminded of my pragmatics classes at university, Grice, Brown & Levinson, Leech et al. and areas such as cross-cultural pragmatics, politeness principles, etc.

"The Agreement Maxim:
The Agreement maxim runs as follows: 'Minimize the expression of disagreement between self and other; maximize the expression of agreement between self and other.', It is in line with Brown and Levinson's positive politeness strategies of 'seek agreement' and 'avoid disagreement,' to
... See more
I'm reminded of my pragmatics classes at university, Grice, Brown & Levinson, Leech et al. and areas such as cross-cultural pragmatics, politeness principles, etc.

"The Agreement Maxim:
The Agreement maxim runs as follows: 'Minimize the expression of disagreement between self and other; maximize the expression of agreement between self and other.', It is in line with Brown and Levinson's positive politeness strategies of 'seek agreement' and 'avoid disagreement,' to which they attach great importance. However, it is not being claimed that people totally avoid disagreement. It is simply observed that they are much more direct in expressing agreement, rather than disagreement."

So I guess I see saying "thank you" for an agree (Sorry Tom!) as merely an exercise in "maximizing the expression of agreement". I also tend to thank people for agreeing with me in speech, in "real life", so I don't see it as odd to do it online.

I also realize that this approach (and the aforementioned research) is quite Anglocentric, so I don't expect people from divergent cultures to behave this way or reciprocate.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Not sure whether it's a good thing or not... May 6, 2015

I'm very much in favour of politeness in all areas of communication. There's something about thanking people for agreeing with my suggestion, though, that doesn't quite feel right, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly. Surely it is the asker that should be thanking people for their views, not the answerers. Having said that, I don't think it's a massive issue, and I don't think people should be regarded as impolite if they don't say thank you.

I also tend to think
... See more
I'm very much in favour of politeness in all areas of communication. There's something about thanking people for agreeing with my suggestion, though, that doesn't quite feel right, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly. Surely it is the asker that should be thanking people for their views, not the answerers. Having said that, I don't think it's a massive issue, and I don't think people should be regarded as impolite if they don't say thank you.

I also tend to think that the moderators of the kudoz area prefer to keep all contributions as brief as possible. Attempts at a friendly interchange can result in one's post being removed from the discussion, as I discovered recently.
Collapse

Barbara Korinna Szederkenyi
Barbara Korinna Szederkenyi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:06
Italian to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes if... May 8, 2015

Yes, we should say a short "thank you" for an "agree", showing that we are glad to see someone taking his/her time to read our answer and sharing opinion about it. As we write answers hoping that somebody else will read them, it is not bad if, seeing their opinion, we "sign back" IF in case of a "disagree" we also answer (protecting our point or thanking the help).

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
In general, I would say no... May 8, 2015

unless that person added additional and helpful information, references or clarifications with the Agree that help support your answer.

For me, the purpose of an "Agree" is to help the asker make a decision ('you see, asker, lots of people think this is the correct answer'), and not about helping the answerer win points. For me to thank someone who agrees with me (with no other added information) would seem like saying "thank you for supporting my answer to help me win points or he
... See more
unless that person added additional and helpful information, references or clarifications with the Agree that help support your answer.

For me, the purpose of an "Agree" is to help the asker make a decision ('you see, asker, lots of people think this is the correct answer'), and not about helping the answerer win points. For me to thank someone who agrees with me (with no other added information) would seem like saying "thank you for supporting my answer to help me win points or helping prove that I am right", rather than the very unnecessary and redundant, IMHO, "thank you agreer for agreeing with me in order help me help the asker".

[Edited at 2015-05-08 16:33 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I'm with Jeff May 8, 2015

It's not really "help", but rather an act of free will as "information offering", while the peers are also free to support/object and the asker is to consider it.

Thank you (for nothing).

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
... May 8, 2015

I think Jeff has hit the nail on the head here!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think we're taking "thank you" too literally. May 8, 2015

I think it was in this forum that someone mentioned phatic communication.

"Thank you" doesn't have to mean "I am grateful to you for the tremendous favor that you have done for me in a personal and professional sense," any more than saying "How do you do" when you're introduced to someone means "I want to know all about your life today and I sincerely expect an answer right now."

It's just a social convention, a friendly acknowledgment that "I have seen your post, I am
... See more

"Thank you" doesn't have to mean "I am grateful to you for the tremendous favor that you have done for me in a personal and professional sense," any more than saying "How do you do" when you're introduced to someone means "I want to know all about your life today and I sincerely expect an answer right now."

It's just a social convention, a friendly acknowledgment that "I have seen your post, I am aware of your existence and of the contact we have just made, and I am, at some level, content."

If someone can come up with a better phrase than "thank you," I would be happy to consider it. But I don't think we should start a movement to shame KudoZ answerers who respond to those who agree.

Write "thank you"; write nothing at all; invent a more creative response. Your decision. But please don't ascribe unpleasant motives to those of us who choose to use the conventional response.

Jane
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Like May 9, 2015

JaneTranslates wrote:

It's just a social convention, a friendly acknowledgment that "I have seen your post, I am aware of your existence and of the contact we have just made, and I am, at some level, content."

If someone can come up with a better phrase than "thank you," I would be happy to consider it. But I don't think we should start a movement to shame KudoZ answerers who respond to those who agree.

Write "thank you"; write nothing at all; invent a more creative response. Your decision. But please don't ascribe unpleasant motives to those of us who choose to use the conventional response.

Jane

Agree!

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It shows you're a friendly person May 9, 2015

neilmac wrote:

PS: I've just realise that I have become more reluctant to post a "thank you" to my agrees since commenting on this poll... Not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing. Perhaps it just shows how impressionable I am...

Well, I've just realised that I'm becoming more reluctant to agree with people's answers!

It's a shame because I compare it to when someone gives you a smile when you stop for them at a pedestrian crossing. Ok, cars have to stop for pedestrians but I think a friendly smile or a wave makes a great deal of difference.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Really good analogy May 9, 2015

Helena Chavarria wrote:
I compare it to when someone gives you a smile when you stop for them at a pedestrian crossing. Ok, cars have to stop for pedestrians but I think a friendly smile or a wave makes a great deal of difference.

That's exactly what it is! It's a human gesture - one person to another - independent of rules. Let's not do away with them. What would be left?

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Thanks May 10, 2015

Thanking is a way of life in Sweden. You can even get thanks for a thank you...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A way of being human May 11, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Helena Chavarria wrote:
I compare it to when someone gives you a smile when you stop for them at a pedestrian crossing. Ok, cars have to stop for pedestrians but I think a friendly smile or a wave makes a great deal of difference.

That's exactly what it is! It's a human gesture - one person to another - independent of rules. Let's not do away with them. What would be left?

Exactly, because these are human beings beyond the cyber world. We don't see them, but they are alive. My mama always told me that when someone helps you in any way, you thank them. It's an expression of courtesy that will make the other person feel appreciated, and give both parties a smile.

[Edited at 2015-05-11 17:59 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »