Thread poster: Henry Hinds
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Asking the way Jul 16, 2015

Thomas's analogy of asking the way without knowing where you want to go reminds me of two (Irish?) answers to the question "Can you tell me the way to XXX?"

1. You can't get there from here.
2. If I were you, I wouldn't start from here.

Yes, it's certainly true of trying to translate words out of context.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:38
Chinese to English
Might as well offer algebra to a labrador... Jul 16, 2015

Henry Hinds wrote:

Thus it would seem important for Proz to offer training or seminars for participants on CONTEXT.

What is the opinion of others on this?

I'm feeling in a particularly belligerent mood tonight, so I'll simply say: if someone can't figure out how to ask for help properly, the chances of a seminar fixing their problems are very small indeed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CONTEXT AGAIN

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »