nmanfredi
nmanfredi
Uruguay
Local time: 05:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2015

Greetings,

My name is Nicolás and I'm a student of Public Translation in Uruguay. The reason why I decided to write this post is because I need a little help with a project. One professor of mine at the university has asked us to do a survey on the opinion of public translators regarding these questions:

1) Which are -if any- the requirements that a document must comply with so that we are allowed to grant, as translators, a Certificate of Concordance?

... See more
Greetings,

My name is Nicolás and I'm a student of Public Translation in Uruguay. The reason why I decided to write this post is because I need a little help with a project. One professor of mine at the university has asked us to do a survey on the opinion of public translators regarding these questions:

1) Which are -if any- the requirements that a document must comply with so that we are allowed to grant, as translators, a Certificate of Concordance?

2) If you receive a document with -allegedly- an original text and its translation to your mother tongue, but actually you can neither identify which one is the translation and which one is the original text, would you still grant the Certificate of Concordance?

3) Supposing that, in addition to the fact that we don't know which text is the original and which one is the translation, one of the texts has big errors or misconceptions, would you still grant the Certificate of Concordance?

If some of you would like to answer this little survey, I would really appreciate it, for I need to have the answers of as many people as I can.

Thank you all for your time. I'm looking forward to hear what you think.

Nicolás.
Collapse

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 09:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Primo, I don't use such a certificate in my sworn translator's business in Oct 8, 2015

Poland so it seems the question is for Uruguayans only. The same applies to the first question , at least to a major part.
Secondo, the documents or rather plain texts without identication features (signature, stamps, etc.) are seldom translated as certified/legalized/sworn as you cannot (well, I can imagine legalizing them but rather theoretically) certify them being originals whatever it means.
Tertio, I cannot imagine the situation described in question 2. I know always what I got
... See more
Poland so it seems the question is for Uruguayans only. The same applies to the first question , at least to a major part.
Secondo, the documents or rather plain texts without identication features (signature, stamps, etc.) are seldom translated as certified/legalized/sworn as you cannot (well, I can imagine legalizing them but rather theoretically) certify them being originals whatever it means.
Tertio, I cannot imagine the situation described in question 2. I know always what I got to translate and it is irrelevant ( I just certify the conformity of the translation to the document I got.
Quarto, When I have to legalize the translation by somebody else (very seldom as there are practically always some discrepancies/errors) and there are any mistakes I don't legalize it or only after correcting the mistakes.
Summing up, theoretical deliberations rather than anything what happens in real life. In all my forty plus translator's career I never faced such a situation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certificate of Concordance: A brief survey

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »