Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:13
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
"Chicle" is indeed an American indigenous word, adapted to Spanish Oct 17, 2016

slulu wrote:

"Chicle" is Spanish for gum. In Urdu small squares of gum are sometimes called "chiklets"

"Chicle" comes either from the Nahuatl or Mayan languages. Very probably the word "chiklets" apears in Urdu as a reference to the "Chiclets Adams" chewing gum, whose producer, Thomas Adams, conceived the idea while working as a secretary for the Mexican general Antonio López de Santa Ana.

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:13
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No way José Feb 6, 2017

I was truly believing it came from a new Proto-Indo-European root "*chikletumaz" LOL

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:13
French to Spanish
+ ...
"Camisa" and "chicle" Feb 6, 2017

I have just discovered this thread.

The etymology of the Spanish word "camisa", according to the RAE dictionary is as follows:

"camisa
Del lat. tardío camisia, voz de or. celta."

So it's a celtic word adopted by Latin.

On the other side, "chicle" (always according to RAE) comes from:

"chicle
Del náhuatl tzictli."

When I studied Spanish Philology, the best etymological dictionary for Spanish was Corominas'
... See more
I have just discovered this thread.

The etymology of the Spanish word "camisa", according to the RAE dictionary is as follows:

"camisa
Del lat. tardío camisia, voz de or. celta."

So it's a celtic word adopted by Latin.

On the other side, "chicle" (always according to RAE) comes from:

"chicle
Del náhuatl tzictli."

When I studied Spanish Philology, the best etymological dictionary for Spanish was Corominas':

https://es.scribd.com/doc/162797514/Joan-Corominas-Diccionario-Etimologico-de-la-lengua-castellana

This one is the "brief" version for students.

Greetings.
Collapse

rosminargavieso
rosminargavieso
United Kingdom
Indo-European Roots Aug 20, 2017

Castilian Spanish is heavily influenced by Latin, which originated from Indo-European speakers. Punjabi originated from Sanskrit a brother of Latin in the sense they both descended from the Proto-Indo-European language. Punjabi and Spanish share vocabulary, grammar rules and lexicon because they both sprang out of the same language family.

Also Punjabi people and Spanish people share common ancestry. As Indo-European languages were spread by Indo-Europeans.

Ben Gaia

kushreet
kushreet
United States
you Nov 13, 2017

you in Spanish and Punjabi are similar. In Spanish, it is tú and in Punjabi is tu with a faint nasal sound at the end.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Similarities between Hindi/Punjabi and Spanish

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »