Linda Yang
Linda Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Jun 21, 2010

Heidi C wrote:

Joseph FERRAN wrote:

All these previously mentioned: if one is seeking a ¨properly and well versed¨ translation.

I would have to say that poetry translation should be paid at a higher rate.

I completely agree: poetry and literary translations should be paid at a MUCH higher rate, because much more is involved.

I am also a realist, and know that it is very hard to find work as a literary translator. And I agree with what Yvette said, whoever asks for a translation of a literary work generally does not have the amount of money a company who needs translations for a profitable business enterprise.

That is why I said I would be willing to accept less pay, if it was something worth translating. Actually, I would almost be willing to pay for the chance to have a translation of mine of a great work published... (hahahaha)

Agree.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
CEATL survey Jun 21, 2010

Hi Salma,

The following Europe-wide survey of the Conseil Européen des Associations de Traducteurs Littéraires provides detailed figures on literary translation rates in 23 European countries.

You will find more information on working for publishers on my profile page.

Best regards,
Attila

Babranyi
Babranyi
Difference between literary and technical translation rates Dec 5, 2012

Working as an (English-born) technical (and sometimes literary) translator in Hungary, I am amazed to see that there is practically no difference in Canadian rates, and in fact some publishers are paying more for literary translations.
Here in Hungary there is a huge difference between the two, and technical translation rates are on average at least 3-4 times those of literary translations. Literary translators are getting paid extremely badly here (even taking into account the lower stand
... See more
Working as an (English-born) technical (and sometimes literary) translator in Hungary, I am amazed to see that there is practically no difference in Canadian rates, and in fact some publishers are paying more for literary translations.
Here in Hungary there is a huge difference between the two, and technical translation rates are on average at least 3-4 times those of literary translations. Literary translators are getting paid extremely badly here (even taking into account the lower standard of living here and lower consumer prices) - often earning perhaps only the equivalent of $0.005 / character, about $0.03/word...
We are of course talking about domestic translations here, we usually agree on a mutually favourable medium rate if working for foreign publishers/contractors.

[Edited at 2012-12-05 12:02 GMT]
Collapse

anneredreid (X)
anneredreid (X)  Identity Verified
France
Rates or Royalties Jan 30, 2015

Hi All,

I'm just hoping to piggyback on this and see if you can give me some advice. I've been asked to translate a trilogy series, but in terms of rates, I don't know how to go about it. Should I go with a flat rate or royalties or a combination of both? And if I go with royalties, what's the recommended rate?

Any advice you can give me would be great! As far as I know, it's the author and not the publishing company that are paying, so I want to negotiate something fa
... See more
Hi All,

I'm just hoping to piggyback on this and see if you can give me some advice. I've been asked to translate a trilogy series, but in terms of rates, I don't know how to go about it. Should I go with a flat rate or royalties or a combination of both? And if I go with royalties, what's the recommended rate?

Any advice you can give me would be great! As far as I know, it's the author and not the publishing company that are paying, so I want to negotiate something fair with her.

Thanks in advance!

Anne
Collapse

José Sebastião Ribeiro
José Sebastião Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:50
English to Portuguese
Nice question Oct 24, 2015

I would expect to earn less, when compared to technical translation. Since it is such a big text, the rates would usually drop, and in this type of translation there are many people who do it to add something to their 'name' rather to their wallet.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for literary vs. technical translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »