does certification change within different states?
Thread poster: LucieA
LucieA
LucieA
United States
Local time: 20:36
French to English
+ ...
May 4, 2015

Hello
I speak fluent French and I am looking to get a certificate as a medical interpreter.

I currently live in Florida but I am planning to move to a different state really soon. I am not certified yet as a medical interpreter but I am looking to be certified now. My question is, would my certification have to be redone in the new state I move to or would my certification from FL work anywhere? Should I just wait to move and get certified in the state I am moving to ?
T
... See more
Hello
I speak fluent French and I am looking to get a certificate as a medical interpreter.

I currently live in Florida but I am planning to move to a different state really soon. I am not certified yet as a medical interpreter but I am looking to be certified now. My question is, would my certification have to be redone in the new state I move to or would my certification from FL work anywhere? Should I just wait to move and get certified in the state I am moving to ?
Thanks for the info you can give me
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Does it exist? May 4, 2015

You might check first to see if certification for medical interpreters actually exists for French in the USA. Practically all the demand is for Spanish, although there is some for Haitian, but there are many differences between Haitian and standard French.

inverdad
inverdad
French to English
+ ...
Medical certification May 5, 2015

Hello Lucie,
I work part time for a Translation Company located in VA and trained for the Medical Certification. I think it is valid nationwide.
I am looking for an entity that provides Certification that I can do on my own time

LucieA
LucieA
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope it does exist May 5, 2015

Henry,

I did find several certifications online who offered it in English/ French, some are based in universities up North.
I checked the universities in Florida where I live at the moment, and they only offer Spanish certification.

I could do my certification online for French, I just want to make sure when I move by the end of the year, I will be able to use my certification in other states.

LucieA
LucieA
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good to know May 5, 2015

inverdad wrote:

Hello Lucie,
I work part time for a Translation Company located in VA and trained for the Medical Certification. I think it is valid nationwide.
I am looking for an entity that provides Certification that I can do on my own time

thanks inverdad, that helps.

It's hard since there are so many different ways of doing it online nowadays, I don't know if it can be trusted if the certification is done online. But if it is valid nationwide, that reassures me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

does certification change within different states?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »