Debt collection agency in Ukraine
Thread poster: Vicky Nash
Vicky Nash
Vicky Nash  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:35
English
Feb 3, 2017

I have a former client based in Kyiv that owes me ~$1000. This has been outstanding for longer than I care to admit and I have done all the usual chasing etc. I had an ongoing relationship with them previously and although payment was slow, it had always come through. This is not the case for the currently outstanding amount. The company is still trading according to their website, and also seems to still have the client that I was doing the work for (editing translated texts). While I have symp... See more
I have a former client based in Kyiv that owes me ~$1000. This has been outstanding for longer than I care to admit and I have done all the usual chasing etc. I had an ongoing relationship with them previously and although payment was slow, it had always come through. This is not the case for the currently outstanding amount. The company is still trading according to their website, and also seems to still have the client that I was doing the work for (editing translated texts). While I have sympathy for the ongoing situation in the country, as this does not seem to have affected the trading of my former client, I don't see why I shouldn't be paid for the work done.

I've threatened them with legal action and I have tried on several occasions to make contact with a debt collection agency, but to no avail. Can anyone recommend a service based in Ukraine that might be able to help me?

Thanks in advance,

Vicky
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How old is the debt? Feb 3, 2017

Vicky Nash wrote:
I have a former client based in Kyiv that owes me ~$1000. This has been outstanding for longer than I care to admit

There's at least one reference I've seen of the time limit being three years: http://gcs-ukraine.com/en/faq/

Apart from that, I'm afraid I can't help. My only client who is Ukrainian (but who moved to Poland a while back) doesn't require me to use such methods, fortunately.

Vicky Nash
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 3, 2017

The debt dates back to 2015, so within your three year limit - thanks for that, I didn't know about that. I'll try the agency you've linked to too.

Fortunately I, too, have other more reliable clients!

Vicky

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 19:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Sympathy has nothing to do with it Feb 3, 2017

Unless you are running a charity, that is. That said, the sad truth is that you have no recourse in Ukraine, or most other places outside of your immediate jurisdiction. Zilch. Nada. Especially with relatively small amounts, such as yours. Even where legal remedies of one sort or another may be available, the associated costs are usually high enough to make using them altogether unfeasible. Collection agency? In Ukraine? Forget about it. Debts in that part of the world are usually collected in a... See more
Unless you are running a charity, that is. That said, the sad truth is that you have no recourse in Ukraine, or most other places outside of your immediate jurisdiction. Zilch. Nada. Especially with relatively small amounts, such as yours. Even where legal remedies of one sort or another may be available, the associated costs are usually high enough to make using them altogether unfeasible. Collection agency? In Ukraine? Forget about it. Debts in that part of the world are usually collected in a different, much more effective manner, but it will cost you, and it may not be, ahem, legal. Not strictly speaking anyway:)

The only real option available to you (and I have written about it a number of times, and in more detail) is to try and make them as miserable as you possibly can, using whatever means available and necessary, which, generally speaking, comes down to badmouthing the buggers wherever you can. This is a totally no-holds-barred, gloves-off approach, so if you are squeamish you may simply kiss this money goodbye. Personally, in similar situations (consumer disputes mostly, I do not accept work orders from the other end of the world), I start with writing the offending party a polite letter describing in minute detail where, how and who to I am going to complain and in what specific language. Naturally, I don't live in Ukraine, so I generally have more room to play here. The important part is to deliver on your threats as advertised if it comes to that. Overall, this only works in half of the cases but it is still better than nothing and at the very least you get the moral satisfaction of knowing they haven't just skedaddled with you hard-earned money.

It has always puzzled me immensely how people literally jump on ridiculous offers from Elbonia and other such places and expect to get paid as advertised. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't seem to be your case here, it's just a relationship gone bad, but come on, haven't you seen the writing on the wall before?

Either way, good luck to you.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
Debt collection in Ukraine Feb 3, 2017

What about contacting the end-client?

Vicky Nash
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Hadn't considered that Feb 3, 2017

Thanks Michael, I have to confess I hadn't considered that option.

For the moment, I seem to be having some success with the debt collection agency Sheila linked to, so I'll go down that path, but if it doesn't work out, the end client is a good idea.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Have you put an entry on BlueBoard? Feb 3, 2017

I've found that to be a very effective way of getting people to pay up.

Vicky Nash
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Blue Board Feb 6, 2017

Thanks Phil.

They are not a translation company but rather a publishing house. They don't have a Blue Board entry and while I could enter one, I doubt it would have much effect on them - the translation is in-house and they cut the budget for editing (which is how our relationship came to an end - the non-payments came afterwards). However, you've made me realise that others might be vulnerable to their approaches, so I will make a point of doing that.

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:35
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Black list Feb 6, 2017

If possible, it would be also good to add them to the Black List of translation agencies on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/1452892371675952/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection agency in Ukraine

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »