Thread poster: Ahmed Girach
Ahmed Girach
Ahmed Girach
India
Local time: 23:19
Gujarati to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2017

Of late it is observed that translation rates are declining gradually. My focus is ion Indian market and in Eng Gujarati pair. In India most of the agencies are paying 0.4 to 0.7 INR only. There are rare companies paying Rs. 1/- . In Indian reference at least Rupee 1/- must be paid. Translator is not getting all the 30 days work. He can not pull on his family on mere 0.5 or 0.7 INR.
Further main grievance of a translator is they are not paid. They're paid only after several reminders.
... See more
Of late it is observed that translation rates are declining gradually. My focus is ion Indian market and in Eng Gujarati pair. In India most of the agencies are paying 0.4 to 0.7 INR only. There are rare companies paying Rs. 1/- . In Indian reference at least Rupee 1/- must be paid. Translator is not getting all the 30 days work. He can not pull on his family on mere 0.5 or 0.7 INR.
Further main grievance of a translator is they are not paid. They're paid only after several reminders.
It is my experience with two agencies who had not paid me my invoices for more than six months and after about 10 reminders I was compelled to issue a legal notice and was paid immediately through Mobile Transfer. I must say that my translation was perfect and no communication was sent regarding any correction. In spite of that they were not paying.One 1000/- Rupees amount is not paid since long.Rs. 1000/- is not a big amount that a man can not afford.Here it is mentality of the agency that for such a small amount Translator will not go to court.And this is the only reason many agencies are not paying. This is not a hypothetical narration I can give name of the companies who are guilty.
Now it duty of the portals who are allowing posting of the job, to write in poster itself that they will pay the invoices within 30 days of the invoice on successful completion work.It is better if take some security deposit from job poster agencies that may be refunded after payment of all the dues of the translators.It should be made compulsory for the agency to give an undertaking that they have paid all the dues of the translators. Portal should ensure this on the next posting by the same agencies. This may look cumbersome but it will be in the interest of translators.They are woman, aged persons - retired having no other source of income, , students etc.. These are needy people. If they are not paid who will help?
Secondly portal should compel them to write in PO that "Payment will be made on successful completion of task and on receipt of the invoice within 30 days."
When PO is issued such narration should be written in the PO it should be made a condition of the work. When Invoice is received Agency should write "Invoice received. Payment will be made within 30 days but not later than Dt.----, in your bank account provided.
And after receipt of the Invoice agency should positively make efforts to pay within 30 days and should get print out of Invoice and management should hand it over to cashier to pay latest by Date:---. the date 30 days. expires.

On the translators side they should write in the invoice Please pay at the earliest within 30 days, latest by Dt. ---"
Agencies and translators views are solicited.
This is written to give voice to translators as they are avoiding to pursue the small amount of invoices and let it go.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Payment norms Mar 7, 2017

There are some countries where payment needs to be demanded in advance.

The only way I'll accept work from Indian agencies is if they pay before I start the job. Funnily, I haven't had another job from India since implementing this rule but I haven't been scammed again either.

There are enough translators here who've had bad experiences to help change the payment norms from that country. If everyone started demanding payment in advance, they would have to comply. Someo
... See more

The only way I'll accept work from Indian agencies is if they pay before I start the job. Funnily, I haven't had another job from India since implementing this rule but I haven't been scammed again either.

There are enough translators here who've had bad experiences to help change the payment norms from that country. If everyone started demanding payment in advance, they would have to comply. Someone had mentioned beforehand that the payment norms in South America (Brazil?) was like this.

I feel that telling Indian companies about my pay in advance rule is far better than stating outright that I refuse to work with Indian agencies after numerous bad experiences (similar to what you described).
Collapse

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
Can he afford it? Mar 8, 2017

DJHartmann wrote:

Given the pairs he works in, he probably cannot afford it.

[Modifié le 2017-03-08 20:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation rates and payment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »