Thread poster: Colin Smith
Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:23
French to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2017

Could somebody develop an app that integrates with Trados and other CAT tools that calculates how much you have just earned each time you type a segment and press Ctrl + Enter, plus a running total for the day?

It would be very encouraging to know you've just earned 2 quid by hearing a loud "Kerchiiing!", plus a round of applause for a fiver, perhaps?

Just a thought.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:23
Member (2016)
English to German
Kerchiing Mar 30, 2017

Colin Smith wrote:

Could somebody develop an app that integrates with Trados and other CAT tools that calculates how much you have just earned each time you type a segment and press Ctrl + Enter, plus a running total for the day?

It would be very encouraging to know you've just earned 2 quid by hearing a loud "Kerchiiing!", plus a round of applause for a fiver, perhaps?

Just a thought.

I actually had a cash register sound playing each time I pressed the "next segment" button (via this app: https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/) for a while, but it got on my nerves after a day or two, so I deactivated it again.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Mar 30, 2017

A bit like when Wordfast does a whole set of interim accounts for me, and while it's clicking through the matches I get to try out all my American football goalscorer-style ass-shakin' moves?

[Edited at 2017-03-30 14:39 GMT]

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Mar 30, 2017

Chris S wrote:

A bit like when Wordfast does a whole set of interim accounts for me, and while it's clicking through the matches I get to try out all my American football goalscorer-style ass-shakin' moves?

[Edited at 2017-03-30 14:39 GMT]

Exactly, but "monetised"!

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Mar 30, 2017

[/quote]

I actually had a cash register sound playing each time I pressed the "next segment" button (via this app: https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/) for a while, but it got on my nerves after a day or two, so I deactivated it again. [/quote]

yes you would want hard figures as well, not just the noise...
See more
[/quote]

I actually had a cash register sound playing each time I pressed the "next segment" button (via this app: https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/) for a while, but it got on my nerves after a day or two, so I deactivated it again. [/quote]

yes you would want hard figures as well, not just the noise
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
And a bell Mar 30, 2017

...when it's time to close shop and get to the pub to order the first beer.

I like your idea.

You could set your own earning goal per day, week, month, etc. and connect the app to a built-in, self-updating discount grid converter to account for fuzzy discounts.

I think a round of applause for each fiver earned would get too annoying after a few hours.
But there could be an "Adept of the Cult of Poverty" option to enable cheers for each shilling, cent
... See more
...when it's time to close shop and get to the pub to order the first beer.

I like your idea.

You could set your own earning goal per day, week, month, etc. and connect the app to a built-in, self-updating discount grid converter to account for fuzzy discounts.

I think a round of applause for each fiver earned would get too annoying after a few hours.
But there could be an "Adept of the Cult of Poverty" option to enable cheers for each shilling, cent or penny earned.
Of course, currencies could be fully customisable.

And for the serious entrepreneur, the Enterprise version would have a deep learning engine that ticks at nett prices instead of gross based on your income tax/operating expense history. The application would connect seamlessly to your accounting and business management system.

This data of course would somehow be uploaded to the cloud through license registering, and big data-crunching machines would mine this hopefully anonymised data heap to author new articles about the translation "industry" and how translators in fact a bunch of wimps complaining for nothing given the massive amounts of money that pass through their hands.

Philippe
Collapse

Gregory Flanders
Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Brilliant idea Mar 30, 2017

I like this idea and would love to have it integrated into Studio.

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Developers.. Mar 31, 2017

Any idle developers listening out there?

I posted this for fun but it has a serious side - I have recently been keeping closer track of what I am earning on a day-to-day basis rather than weekly or monthly, and this would be extremely useful.

We were among the earliest adopters of the gig economy, after all...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
And one that adds a total for clients? Mar 31, 2017

I would want a timeline on mine that works out what I earn per hour and then works out the tax I pay on it...
I would turn off the sound pretty fast, but I could do with some figures to justify my rates. Could be useful in negotiations with clients.

Of course, it would have to be smart enough to know when I was seriously taking a break to check terminology, when it was a five-minute coffee break, and when I get distracted and surf round the Net, but 'not on company time' as I
... See more
I would want a timeline on mine that works out what I earn per hour and then works out the tax I pay on it...
I would turn off the sound pretty fast, but I could do with some figures to justify my rates. Could be useful in negotiations with clients.

Of course, it would have to be smart enough to know when I was seriously taking a break to check terminology, when it was a five-minute coffee break, and when I get distracted and surf round the Net, but 'not on company time' as I put it.

Or when I chase up an interesting terminology reference above and beyond the strict calls of duty. Freelancer's privileges, but none of the client's business, they're not paying!

Maybe I don't want software spying on me after all...
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 22:23
Japanese to English
Should be possible Mar 31, 2017

It should be possible to program something like that. It doesn't necessarily have to be tied to Trados, it can just count the number of words you type (by monitoring the number of times you press the spacebar maybe?) and keep a running tally at the bottom of the screen. I fear something like that would just demotivate me, though. After all, it doesn't matter whether you've typed 10 words or a 100, you're not seeing a cent until the whole project is done and turned in.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:23
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Cuckoo? Mar 31, 2017

MemoQ already has sound effects, including the ridiculous cuckoo clock sound. Maybe they could piggy back this new idea onto their existing sounds.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators' Cash-o-Meter

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »