Thread poster: Jing Hu
Jing Hu
Jing Hu
China
Local time: 14:16
English to Chinese
Apr 5, 2017

Hi all,

Where can I find the standard rate for English to Chinese translation in the UK?

Recently I joined CIOL and have been approached by a couple of potential clients, but I don't know how much I should quote. I passed DipTrans last year and currently live in China.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jenny

Frances Nichol
Frances Nichol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
Send me a PM Apr 5, 2017

and I'll discuss pricing with you. I used to run an agency in the UK.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Rate depends on so many things Apr 6, 2017

Jennifer Hu wrote:
Where can I find the standard rate for English to Chinese translation in the UK?

I'm afraid the short answer is that there isn't one. Everything depends on you and the client (who could be an agency or a direct client). Some translators are willing to accept peanuts, so that's what they get paid; others value their work and will only collaborate with clients who are prepared to pay a fair rate for their education and skills. Some clients will want to pay you less than if you lived in the UK; others won't take that into account. Clients based in China may well pay lower rates than those based in the UK or the US.

There are "community rates" available here, derived statistically from the figures we input (whether or not we display them in our profiles). There are quite a lot in your pair so they should be fairly free of skew. However, there's nothing to guarantee that these are the figures being quoted and/or accepted. http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:16
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

no standard Apr 8, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Jennifer Hu wrote:

I'm afraid the short answer is that there isn't one. Everything depends on you and the client (who could be an agency or a direct client). Some translators are willing to accept peanuts, so that's what they get paid; others value their work and will only collaborate with clients who are prepared to pay a fair rate for their education and skills. Some clients will want to pay you less than if you lived in the UK; others won't take that into account. Clients based in China may well pay lower rates than those based in the UK or the US.

There are "community rates" available here, derived statistically from the figures we input (whether or not we display them in our profiles). There are quite a lot in your pair so they should be fairly free of skew. However, there's nothing to guarantee that these are the figures being quoted and/or accepted. http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

I can't agree more.

I'm based in London and I give my quote based on individual projects i.e. I read the source text first before I give my quote. Several factors will be considered: Level of difficulties (clarity of text/photo file, specialization that might require research), timeline (urgent tasks will be charged more), formatting (additional fees will be charged if final output requires formatting such as boxing, conversions of files, and special instructions (some are hard to understand or complicated as required by clients).

I also agree your location have impact on your rate as a loaf of bread cost £1 or less in London, while in China it costs much, much less.

In one word - no standard rate.

Perhaps the rate you quote and be accepted is the standard rate.

Thomas Gorrie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English-Chinese translation standard rate

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »