Rates and Ranges and How Much to Compromise
Thread poster: DARKastheRAIN
gayd (X)
gayd (X)
thank you Apr 21, 2017

Chris S wrote:

David GAY wrote:

Chris S wrote:

There is nothing wrong with not having a ProZ profile. Mine has been a waste of time. There are many better places to find work.

Could you please be more specific?

Contacting agencies and companies directly, using contacts and networks from school and university, friends of friends, local translator groups, professional associations... Anything is better in my experience. Although it clearly works for some.

DARKastheRAIN
DARKastheRAIN
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Everyone Apr 21, 2017

Thanks for all your advice, the advice on ranges in particular. I was tentative about using a range for the some of the reasons you mentioned, but I'd seen them advocated elsewhere. Thanks for the clarification.

I did realise that I'd probably have to apply to far more agencies before I got anything like steady work. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time before I contacted the next several dozen.

On a related note, and to perhaps avoid having to post it as
... See more
Thanks for all your advice, the advice on ranges in particular. I was tentative about using a range for the some of the reasons you mentioned, but I'd seen them advocated elsewhere. Thanks for the clarification.

I did realise that I'd probably have to apply to far more agencies before I got anything like steady work. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time before I contacted the next several dozen.

On a related note, and to perhaps avoid having to post it as a second topic, what's the best way to determine which agencies are most likely to give relative beginners a chance? (Thanks, Samuel Murray, for your tip about newly registered agencies being more likely to be looking for translators. I hadn't thought of that.)
Collapse

DARKastheRAIN
DARKastheRAIN
TOPIC STARTER
Community Rates, etc. May 1, 2017

So the rates that you see posted at ProZ.com aren't all that reliable.

Do they tend to err high or err low?

ProZ.com's agency list shows 400 agencies in the United States (where you are)

Is there an advantage to working with agencies in the country you live in?

I've often wondered, as there should be a significant disparity between the two, do the community rates refer to r... See more
So the rates that you see posted at ProZ.com aren't all that reliable.

Do they tend to err high or err low?

ProZ.com's agency list shows 400 agencies in the United States (where you are)

Is there an advantage to working with agencies in the country you live in?

I've often wondered, as there should be a significant disparity between the two, do the community rates refer to rates for direct clients or agencies?

About how much more should one charge direct clients than agencies?

[Edited at 2017-05-01 00:14 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates and Ranges and How Much to Compromise

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »