Mohamad Sala (X)
Mohamad Sala (X)
Egypt
Local time: 08:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 1, 2017

Hi colleagues,

I have an unpaid invoice of more than 900 USD for more than 1 year with a client in India. I sent them dozens of mails and called them too much times and every time they say we will pay and promise a date for payment, but this payment never happened. I have all mails archived, can anybody give me an idea what are the actions I should take in order to get my money?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
Russian to English
+ ...
check the forums May 1, 2017

Such questions have been discussed thousands of times.
http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Blue Board May 1, 2017

Make an entry in the Blue Board. Here's a link to get you started: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?&sp_mode=entry

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
French to English
Additionally and hints for the future May 1, 2017

You will find lots of threads on this subject. You will find a number of helpful posts about how to try and get your money. Whatever the outcome, learn from this experience.

For the future, bear in mind the following:
- react as soon as your client is late with payment;
- increase the severity of your formal demands (polite reminder, reminder with deadline, formal demand with tight deadline and indication of consequences of non-payment);
- when you are in country A
... See more
You will find lots of threads on this subject. You will find a number of helpful posts about how to try and get your money. Whatever the outcome, learn from this experience.

For the future, bear in mind the following:
- increase the severity of your formal demands (polite reminder, reminder with deadline, formal demand with tight deadline and indication of consequences of non-payment);
- when you are in country A and your client is in country B, recovering payment can be more complicated and is often expensive;
- given the increased difficulty and expense of recovering money from clients in another country, limit such jobs to amounts to can (almost) afford to lose.
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:09
German to English
+ ...
Maybe May 1, 2017

Mohamad Salah wrote:

Hi colleagues,

I have an unpaid invoice of more than 900 USD for more than 1 year with a client in India. I sent them dozens of mails and called them too much times and every time they say we will pay and promise a date for payment, but this payment never happened. I have all mails archived, can anybody give me an idea what are the actions I should take in order to get my money?

a baseball bit and a local bully could do the trick? I don't think that you have another option:)

[Edited at 2017-05-01 17:34 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

So sorry for your situation May 1, 2017

As mentioned above you can only treat this as a lesson for the future.

After facing a similar situation I applied a set rule for all Indian agencies: I'll be more than happy to work with them if payment is made in advance.

With this rule being applied I can now confidently say that I haven't been scammed by Indian agencies since! (None of them have accepted the terms!) I'm also happy with this, and feel assured that if they are ever serious and need the work completed b
... See more
As mentioned above you can only treat this as a lesson for the future.

After facing a similar situation I applied a set rule for all Indian agencies: I'll be more than happy to work with them if payment is made in advance.

With this rule being applied I can now confidently say that I haven't been scammed by Indian agencies since! (None of them have accepted the terms!) I'm also happy with this, and feel assured that if they are ever serious and need the work completed by a seasoned professional, they will agree to the rule.

I did have a close call however, with the Indian PM using an English pseudonym. While the payment was 4 months late, it did end up coming through. So continue to check the Blueboard for all new clients, not just Indian-sounding ones!

Once again sorry about the $900
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:09
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Link not opening May 2, 2017

Susan Welsh wrote:

Such questions have been discussed thousands of times.
http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

Paulinho Fonseca
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That is a good suggestion to get started. :) May 2, 2017

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Make an entry in the Blue Board. Here's a link to get you started: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?&sp_mode=entry

Paulinho Fonseca
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This is an assertive attitude: May 2, 2017

"For the future, bear in mind the following:
- increase the severity of your formal demands (polite reminder, reminder with deadline, formal demand with tight deadline and indication of consequences of non-payment);"

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Payment issue May 3, 2017

Your first mistake was not being selective about the agency/country you deal with. Your due diligence should filter out agencies in dodgy locations. Another caveat: do not do business with an agency which lists a post office box rather than a proper street address for contact.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deal with it locally May 3, 2017

Mohamad Salah wrote:

Hi colleagues,

One year is a lot, it is unlikely that they pay you if you continue dealing with them the way you have been dealing with them until now. Get a local lawyer. In India it shouldn't be expensive. Let that local lawyer scare them with a letter. If no reaction, sue them in their country. Teach them a lesson.

For future projects, mind the country. I'm sure they either don't have Blue Board entry or have a very poor one. I don't think they just messed up with you; they must be doing it all the time. Check on them before giving them any credit.

mik kael
mik kael  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
the name of the company May 4, 2017

Mohamad Salah wrote:

Hi colleagues,

I am on project for Indian company now. since I read your post, I start to worry about it. if you could just mention the name of the company or agency, maybe other freelancer would be more careful.
and I hope they send your payment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment issue with a client

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »