Machine Translations API Keys in OmegaT 3.5.3
Thread poster: Alan Sponberg
Alan Sponberg
Alan Sponberg
United States
Local time: 18:53
German to English
Feb 26, 2016

I recently entered my Google Translate key and my Bing Translate key ID and Secrete codes in the 3.5.3 property file at:
OmegaT.app/Contents/Resources/Configuration.properties file
After checking the corresponding selections under Options and attempting to call up MT of a segment , I get the following error codes:

400: Bad Request

403: Forbidden

What am I doing wrong? Is there another setting I haven't yet
... See more
I recently entered my Google Translate key and my Bing Translate key ID and Secrete codes in the 3.5.3 property file at:
After checking the corresponding selections under Options and attempting to call up MT of a segment , I get the following error codes:

What am I doing wrong? Is there another setting I haven't yet discovered.

Alan

[Edited at 2016-02-27 00:25 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: not needed
Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:53
English to French
+ ...
Check Java connectivity Feb 27, 2016

Alan Sponberg wrote:

You can check Java connectivity by trying the Apertium translation engine, since it doesn't require credentials.

If Apertium works (even if you simply get the message "Erreur 451 : Not supported pair"), then it's an issue with your credentials.

If Apertium doesn't work, you can check whether you connection requires a proxy, for instance. (You can set proxy options in the same configuration file.)

Didier

Alan Sponberg
Alan Sponberg
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not a Java Connectivity Problem Feb 28, 2016

Didier,

Thanks for your help. Apertium does work, so it's apparently not a proxy issue. On checking the credentials I had entered in Configuration.properties, I discovered that I had inadvertently truncated the key for Microsoft Translator while copying it. Fixed that problem, and now both Apertium and MS Translator are working, but still not the Google Translate V.2 key, which I had correctly copied.

Does Google perhaps require a separate key for the new computer I go
... See more
Didier,

Thanks for your help. Apertium does work, so it's apparently not a proxy issue. On checking the credentials I had entered in Configuration.properties, I discovered that I had inadvertently truncated the key for Microsoft Translator while copying it. Fixed that problem, and now both Apertium and MS Translator are working, but still not the Google Translate V.2 key, which I had correctly copied.

Does Google perhaps require a separate key for the new computer I got soon after applying for the key that isn't working? That is, are the Google keys tied to one specific machine?

Alan
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:53
English to French
+ ...
Double check Feb 29, 2016

Alan Sponberg wrote:
Thanks for your help. Apertium does work, so it's apparently not a proxy issue.

Indeed, it's not.

On checking the credentials I had entered in Configuration.properties, I discovered that I had inadvertently truncated the key for Microsoft Translator while copying it. Fixed that problem, and now both Apertium and MS Translator are working, but still not the Google Translate V.2 key, which I had correctly copied.

If both Apertium and Translator are working, then there's obviously something wrong with your Google Translate key.

Does Google perhaps require a separate key for the new computer I got soon after applying for the key that isn't working? That is, are the Google keys tied to one specific machine?

No. Did you give your credit card details to Google?

Didier

Alan Sponberg
Alan Sponberg
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Solved: I had entered the wrong key Mar 13, 2016

Didier,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I did give Google my payment details on first setting up my account up. What confused both me and Google is that there is an option somewhere in their maze of account set-up pages where one can request a second key. I had done that, but then stupidly neglected to change what I had previously entered in the OmegaT settings. One can then use the same key on more than one machine.

One good thing about making that mistake,
... See more
Didier,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I did give Google my payment details on first setting up my account up. What confused both me and Google is that there is an option somewhere in their maze of account set-up pages where one can request a second key. I had done that, but then stupidly neglected to change what I had previously entered in the OmegaT settings. One can then use the same key on more than one machine.

One good thing about making that mistake, however, was that on my return to Google site, I learned that they are currently offering a free initial $300 credit for all their developer tools.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Machine Translations API Keys in OmegaT 3.5.3

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »