Thread poster: Melusinec
Melusinec
Melusinec
Mexico
Local time: 17:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 10, 2016

I'm using OmegaT for translating a document, but it shows a lot of segments on long paragraphs like these ones:

- Concepto de <

How can I take them out? or is it problem of the document file?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:34
English to French
+ ...
Clean your document or remove tags Mar 11, 2016

cakerfeldt wrote:

I'm using OmegaT for translating a document, but it shows a lot of segments on long paragraphs like these ones:

[t0/] [t1/]-[t2/] [t3/]Concepto[t4/] [t5/]de[t6/]

How can I take them out? or is it problem of the document file?

I have replaced lower and greater than signs in your quote with square brackets, because ProZ's forums cannot display the former characters.

You have to clean your document.
See
http://www.omegat.org/en/howtos/docx.html
especially "How to remove unwanted formatting code from .docx files".

Using CodeZapper or Document Cleaner is usually the simplest way.

Or, if formatting is not important in this document, you can check Remove Tags in the project properties. This will keep paragraph formatting, but will remove all inline formatting (e.g., bold, italic, inside sentences).

Didier

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, you can Mar 11, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

I have replaced lower and greater than signs in your quote with square brackets, because ProZ's forums cannot display the former characters.

You can actually make Proz.com display them by using standard HMTL entities of &lt; and &gt;:

cakerfeldt wrote:

<t0/> <t1/>-<t2/> <t3/>Concepto<t4/> <t5/>de<t6/>

(previewing or editing a post will ruin it)

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
Russian to English
+ ...
segment numbers? Mar 11, 2016

I assume you mean tags, not segment numbers, since that's what Didier and Esperantisto replied about. The actual segment numbers (the number at the end of each segment) does not interfere with anything, does not appear in the target text, and is just to help you navigate through the document.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Yes, but it's too much trouble Mar 11, 2016

esperantisto wrote:
(previewing or editing a post will ruin it)

That's why I do not bother anymore.

Didier

Tom in London

1pedrodrigue
1pedrodrigue
Spain
still not working May 13, 2020

Hi folks,

I have read the answers but still I am not able to stop Omega T from showing this annoying thing at the end of every segment:

segment 004>

How can we delete them forever?

[Edited at 2020-05-13 17:42 GMT]

Tom in London

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
Russian to English
+ ...
Why annoying? May 19, 2020

I don't know of any way to remove them, but why would you even want to? They are helpful for navigation, if you want to GO TO > segment number [Ctrl+J]. Just ignore them otherwise.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Pedro May 19, 2020

1pedrodrigue wrote:
I have read the answers but still I am not able to stop OmegaT from showing this annoying thing at the end of every segment:

<segment 0001 ¶>

The "answers" that you have read in this thread do not relate to your problem. The original poster's problem was with tags inside the source text, e.g. <t0/> <t1/>-<t2/> <t3/>Concepto<t4/> <t5/>de<t6/>, which is a normal part of the translation of formatted text in many CAT tools.

The thing you're trying to get rid of is not a formatting tag. It *looks* like a tag, but it is simply the segment number. It was decided to put the segment number *after* the segment, so that the source and target text both start at the margin. Yes, it's very annoying (visually). No, you can't get rid of it. It's just one of those weird things about OmegaT that you will eventually get used to. After a while, you won't even notice it anymore.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to take out those annoying segments numbers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »