Grant Grames
Grant Grames  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:40
French to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2016

Hello all,

I was working on a project in OmegaT when my computer battery died. I had been saving the project very often (I had a deleted memory scare before), but when I went to open the project after turning the computer back on, it gave me this message:

"Fatal error on line 1, column 1 while parsing:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemid: file:///home/grantie/; lineNumbe
... See more
Hello all,

I was working on a project in OmegaT when my computer battery died. I had been saving the project very often (I had a deleted memory scare before), but when I went to open the project after turning the computer back on, it gave me this message:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemid: file:///home/grantie/; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file"

which I am told is because the file it's trying to parse is empty, and, sure enough, when I opened my .bak files in a plain text word program, there's nothing there.

Is there any hope whatsoever? I was supposed to have this whole project done by the end of the weekend, but and I've just lost 3 good days of work, so any helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:40
English to French
+ ...
There should be backups Apr 10, 2016

gramesg wrote:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemid: file:///home/grantie/; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file"

which I am told is because the file it's trying to parse is empty, and, sure enough, when I opened my .bak files in a plain text word program, there's nothing there.

When you write .bak files, do you mean project_save.tmx.xxx.bak in the /omegat folder of the project?
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.misc.html#preventing.data.loss

If you have several of them, it's unlikely a reboot would have emptied them simultaneously.

Is there any hope whatsoever? I was supposed to have this whole project done by the end of the weekend, but and I've just lost 3 good days of work, so any helpful would be greatly appreciated

In addition, to project_save.tmx (the project's main memory) and the backup files (*.bak), if you have used Create Translated Documents, there are three TMXs at the root of the project. You can use the omegat one or the level 2 one.

Didier

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not about TM Apr 10, 2016

You problem seems to be about corrupted omegat.project file rather than about the very translation memory.
1. Create a new project.
2. Copy source files, working TM, glossary and other relevant files [1] from the current project to the new project.
After that, you should be able to
... See more
You problem seems to be about corrupted omegat.project file rather than about the very translation memory.
1. Create a new project.
2. Copy source files, working TM, glossary and other relevant files [1] from the current project to the new project.
After that, you should be able to continue working.

[1] http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.files.and.folders.html
Collapse

Grant Grames
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Files still blank Apr 10, 2016

Thank you both for your replies.

Didier Briel wrote:

When you write .bak files, do you mean project_save.tmx.xxx.bak in the /omegat folder of the project?
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.misc.html#preventing.data.loss

If you have several of them, it's unlikely a reboot would have emptied them simultaneously.

Didier

Yes, Dider, I mean the project_save files. I tried doing what esperantisto said, copying the files to another new project, but I still get the same error.

When I open the project_save.tmx or the project_save.tmx.bak , or the omegat.project files, they are all blank, whereas, when I opened up old completed projects, I noticed that they at least had text in them.

Thank you again Didier and esperantisto.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
By the way… Apr 10, 2016

gramesg wrote:
…I opened my .bak files in a plain text word program…

What on the Earth is that mysterious “plain text word program”?

Grant Grames
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plain text program Apr 10, 2016

Hi esperantisto,

I'm running Lubuntu, so it's Leafpad for me. The point is, that even when I "look in" the file, there's nothing there, which is pretty frustrating.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:40
English to French
+ ...
Are there other .bak files? Apr 11, 2016

gramesg wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

Didier

Yes, Dider, I mean the project_save files. I tried doing what esperantisto said, copying the files to another new project, but I still get the same error.

When I open the project_save.tmx or the project_save.tmx.bak ,

Are there other .bak files (project_save.tmx.xxx.bak)?

Are there TMX files at the root of the project?

or the omegat.project files, they are all blank, whereas, when I opened up old completed projects, I noticed that they at least had text in them.

It seems unlikely a reboot would wipe simultaneously files that were not in memory at the same time.

You might have a hard drive issue.

Didier

[Edited at 2016-04-11 07:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-11 07:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-11 07:44 GMT]

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Or permissions Apr 11, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

You might have a hard drive issue.

Or, maybe, something about permissions. Are you sure that after the battery failure you logged in the system as the same user that had created the project?

Grant Grames
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restart Apr 12, 2016

Thank you both for all your help!

I've decided that I'll just have to restart the thing all over and let my boss know.

In the future, I'll make sure to have a fully charged battery and multiple backups!

FYI, I do think it might have been a hard drive issue. I'll just have to be careful with this laptop from here on out.

Thank you again, both.

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:40
File system problem Apr 12, 2016

When a system is suddenly shut down in the middle of updating a file, sometimes the contents can be lost. (Imagine updating a paper file: you take the old records out, you're just about to put the new pages in instead, but the fire alarm goes off. When you come back in - the file's empty, you hadn't put the new pages in!)

You can avoid this on the Linux ext4 file system using the data=journal option; a bit of Googling might be enough for you, but if that's all a bit Hellenic just sa
... See more
When a system is suddenly shut down in the middle of updating a file, sometimes the contents can be lost. (Imagine updating a paper file: you take the old records out, you're just about to put the new pages in instead, but the fire alarm goes off. When you come back in - the file's empty, you hadn't put the new pages in!)

You can avoid this on the Linux ext4 file system using the data=journal option; a bit of Googling might be enough for you, but if that's all a bit Hellenic just say and I can get you more detail how to stop this happening again.
Collapse

Grant Grames
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Data saving options Apr 12, 2016

Thank you James for the suggestion. I looked into it and it seems like a good idea! Performance may slow down, but I don't use this laptop for anything but translating, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again to you all!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Memory wipe after laptop shutdown

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »