ATA Certification Exam - Example of a Corrected Passage
Thread poster: Pavel Zalutski
shoegal82
shoegal82
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Por<Eng Eng>Por looking for sample exams for ATA Dec 10, 2013

Hi, I am considering taking the ATA's exam for certification, and would appreciate if anyone could send me a copy of an old exam with the corrected passage to recastroalves at yahoo.com
Thanks in advance!

Miled09
Miled09
United States
ATA certification exam Aug 28, 2014

Hi!!
I know it has been a long time, but could someone help me, sharing the copy of the ATA exam with me?
Thanks for your help
Namaste

Freddydl21
Freddydl21  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tranlation Rookie! Jan 15, 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm exploring the option of becoming a professional translator. Right now I'm working as a teacher in the state of Texas. I've been reading some of your posts, and I've learned so much about it. I want to take the test as soon as I my workload allows me to do it. If I can get tips, as well as test practice materials, it would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

[email protected]

rogg2010
rogg2010
United States
Translation Novice Jan 26, 2015

Hi everyone!

My name is Rogelio Ibarra and I recently decided to research and pursue certification in English > Spanish. I was just wondering if there is anyone who can help me out with any tips or even practice tests. Feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks and have a great day!

Ronaldo Bele
Ronaldo Bele  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Worth it or not Apr 21, 2015

I have been Certified with the ATA since 2003.

My yearly income before the certification was approx. $ 40K, my income after the certification has always been between $80 - 110 K.

Do the math....

GRochin
GRochin
United States
ATA question May 20, 2016

I just read your answer for Pavel, can you be able to provide me the info for the ATA practice test ?
I appreciated that you share that with us.
thank you in advance ! [email protected]

mariana24 wrote:

Hi All,

I took the ATA practice exam for the English>Spanish pair and have the corrected papers.

As far as I know, I can show them to anyone I decide and so I have to others preparing the same exam, and also to translation teachers for their "public" use in class. I would find it ridiculous if they actually asked people not to show them to anyone else after what they charge for them!
I also took a course in order to prepare for the actual exam, and this course was basically the review, by everyone in the group, of past, corrected exams.

Pavel, send me an e-mail through the page and I will scan my corrected papers and send them to you.

Bye now.

Mariana

[Edited at 2007-06-27 02:15]

ezamora
ezamora
United States
English to Spanish
Interpreter/Translator Novice-Spanish-English ATA cert Jun 15, 2016

Hello All!

I'm thinking of taking the ATA's exam, and would appreciate if anyone could email ([email protected]) me a copy of some of the examples along with the corrections to see what I'm getting myself into. And any other tips and tricks!

Please and Thank you

halit yilmaz
halit yilmaz  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Please anybody, could you also send me some resources for this test? Jul 12, 2017

I am also interested in this test and i would really appreciate any help that may be offered as well. Some practice tests would be also quite great.
My email address is halityilmaz (at) live.com

Daniela M Andrade
Daniela M Andrade  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hello Mariana! I am taking the test, could you please send me the copy? I think it would really help Oct 31, 2017

mariana24 wrote:

Hi All,

I took the ATA practice exam for the English>Spanish pair and have the corrected papers.

As far as I know, I can show them to anyone I decide and so I have to others preparing the same exam, and also to translation teachers for their "public" use in class. I would find it ridiculous if they actually asked people not to show them to anyone else after what they charge for them!
I also took a course in order to prepare for the actual exam, and this course was basically the review, by everyone in the group, of past, corrected exams.

Pavel, send me an e-mail through the page and I will scan my corrected papers and send them to you.

Bye now.

Mariana

[Edited at 2007-06-27 02:15]

Mariana,

I would really appreciate if you could send me the test and any tips you think might be useful!!

[email protected]

Miluska Martínez Sarson
Miluska Martínez Sarson
Puerto Rico
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just took the Eng>Spanish Practice Test. Waiting on results. Jun 4, 2020

Hello, all.

I sent in my Eng>Span Practice Test about a month ago. ATA says it takes 6-8 weeks for you to get the evaluation. (Feels like forever.)

Once I get the results, I can post back on here and let y'all know how it all went for me.

I found that the passage was not diffult in and of itself, but it was very carefully chosen. That is, it was full of traps: false cognates, expressions for which you need to find functional equivalents, attractive opportun
... See more
Hello, all.

I sent in my Eng>Span Practice Test about a month ago. ATA says it takes 6-8 weeks for you to get the evaluation. (Feels like forever.)

Once I get the results, I can post back on here and let y'all know how it all went for me.

I found that the passage was not diffult in and of itself, but it was very carefully chosen. That is, it was full of traps: false cognates, expressions for which you need to find functional equivalents, attractive opportunities for unsuccessful transliterations, etc. Definitely more geared toward translating skills rather than vocabulary.

I thought it would take me much less time than it actuallly did. Usually, when translating in my fields, I am very fast. But this practice test took me the whole time allowed for its completion. (I was also very careful.)

Cheers!
Collapse

Arturo Delgado
Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
English to Spanish Exam Feb 21, 2021

Passing the Eng/Spa ATA exam is difficult (passing rate is only 20%, I think) but not impossible. I passed it in 2011 after two practice tests and one failure. I think the key is to know what kind of errors they expect you to make. Soon, I will advertise in the Gotham Translator and I am going to start offering some webinars to discuss the ATA Framework for Error Marking, error by error. I hope I can help some people pass the exam. It costs $525 now.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA Certification Exam - Example of a Corrected Passage

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »