Paolo Troiani
Paolo Troiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:07
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 6, 2015

I had to perform a QA on some PDF files with graphs and images.

I tried several workflows.

First one, I converted the PDF files on .docx using Abby Fine Reader 8.0. I gave up as it did not manage properly images and graphs. I have to say that usually Abby works fine and does its job, but not this time.

Secondly, I tried to align two source-target files wit
... See more
I had to perform a QA on some PDF files with graphs and images.

I tried several workflows.

First one, I converted the PDF files on .docx using Abby Fine Reader 8.0. I gave up as it did not manage properly images and graphs. I have to say that usually Abby works fine and does its job, but not this time.

Secondly, I tried to align two source-target files with youalign (www.youalign.com), save the result in TMX format, download it and open in SDL Studio 2014. I found lots of misaligned segments and I eventually gave up this workflow too.

Lastly, I tried to simply align two source-target files adopting the "Align Documents" feature in SDL Studio 2014. It reads the files and does align them, but skips quite a few segments, as in this case too images are not taken into account. Moreover, some formats and tags are ignored and some segments are split differently from source to target.

Eventually I had to QC the files "by hand", i.e. by simply reading them in PDF and try to do my best to spot poor translation, grammar, typos, inconsistencies and so on.

I goggled around to look for a good way of doing this taskit but, until now, no results found.
There must be a way to better QC PDF files!!

Thank you very much for your interest and help.
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:07
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
With PDFs... Nov 6, 2015

... it is good to have a wide monitor to open source and target side-by-side and use Comments tool to highlight differences (in the target). Let the client's DTP team manage the rest.

This way you really SAVE TIME.

This if PDF, bro!

[Редактировалось 2015-11-06 21:31 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Nov 7, 2015

That's the way to do it: On paper.
At least if it's no more than 20-30 pages.

SuzyKeller
SuzyKeller  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Sergei... Nov 7, 2015

… I am doing a lot of what we call post-DTP proofreading as a translator, and I used to do a lot when I was a PM in a translation agency.

What I do is that I open the source on one screen and the target on another (or on one large screen) and use the comment tools (delete, replace, highlight etc.) to edit anything.

If you have time, the best is to print both source and target, annotate with a pen and then put your comments on the target PDF.

If your cl
... See more
… I am doing a lot of what we call post-DTP proofreading as a translator, and I used to do a lot when I was a PM in a translation agency.

What I do is that I open the source on one screen and the target on another (or on one large screen) and use the comment tools (delete, replace, highlight etc.) to edit anything.

If you have time, the best is to print both source and target, annotate with a pen and then put your comments on the target PDF.

If your client asks you to directly edit the file, then it's no QC anymore but DTP work and it requires specific softwares and skills.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality check PDF files with images and graphs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »