What are differences between review and proofreading job?
Thread poster: Yunping Yang
Yunping Yang
Yunping Yang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 9, 2017

Hello colleagues,

I will be assigned by one of my clients to do some review and proofreading work soon. For now, however, I don't understand the exact differences between them.

Could any one provide some idea on work procedure, scope of content and ultimate objectives?

Thank you in advance.

Yang

[Edited at 2017-01-09 08:19 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
When proofreading Jan 9, 2017

you just read the target text and try to make it as good as possible. When reviewing you compare the target to the source and make sure, the translation is accurate.

Veerle Geens

Yunping Yang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is what I want... Jan 9, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

you just read the target text and try to make it as good as possible. When reviewing you compare the target to the source and make sure, the translation is accurate.

Thank you for your simple and clear answer. It will absolutely help me a lot.

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 09:46
German to English
+ ...
varied Jan 9, 2017

In either case, you can receive a huge range of quality, beginning with something that has been carefully translated and read over by a qualified translator, who just wants a fresh eye for quality control, and ending with text which has simply been fed to google translate and needs completely retranslating in parts (ugh).

i.e. make sure you have some idea what you are getting into before you set a price!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Check with the customer Jan 9, 2017

While I agree with Heinrich's answer, do make sure you check what the customer really wants. The question of proofreading / editing / checking / reviewing etc., can be an awkward one, as not all customers are clear about the differences.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I agree with Heinrich, but does your client? Jan 9, 2017

Many agencies talk about proofreading when they want you to do a bilingual review, checking for inaccuracies and omissions as well as for target-text typos and unnatural phrasing. Some just want you to rush through the text to catch typos but not spend your time and their money improving the style, which is really more copy-editing. Others will complain if you do that, saying you've only done half the job.

So, however we define the two jobs, you must make sure that you and your clie
... See more
Many agencies talk about proofreading when they want you to do a bilingual review, checking for inaccuracies and omissions as well as for target-text typos and unnatural phrasing. Some just want you to rush through the text to catch typos but not spend your time and their money improving the style, which is really more copy-editing. Others will complain if you do that, saying you've only done half the job.

So, however we define the two jobs, you must make sure that you and your client are using the two terms in the same way. Otherwise there could well be tears later.
Collapse

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Bad quality translation Jan 9, 2017

mairaw wrote:

In either case, you can receive a huge range of quality, beginning with something that has been carefully translated and read over by a qualified translator, who just wants a fresh eye for quality control, and ending with text which has simply been fed to google translate and needs completely retranslating in parts (ugh).

i.e. make sure you have some idea what you are getting into before you set a price!

It has happened that I have had to break off a job because the translated text was too poor (e.g. Google Translate file) and a new translation had been necessary. Since the pay is way lower than translatiion, it is necessary to do quite a bit of work to check this out, and you may not get any pay for this. This is why I am very skeptical to proofreading and normelly I don't do any of it.

Marcus König
Marcus König  Identity Verified
Germany
Portuguese to German
+ ...
ISO 17100 definitions Jan 9, 2017

The service definitions and procedures are well defined in ISO 17100. Make sure the standard definitions apply in your order confirmation.

Yunping Yang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's annoying... Jan 9, 2017

mairaw wrote:

... ending with text which has simply been fed to google translate and needs completely retranslating in parts (ugh).

Thank you for your reminding for some parts of texts that has been translated in such a manner.

Yunping Yang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will absolutely follow what you advised... Jan 9, 2017

Thank you so much, Hellen, Sheila, and Marcus.

I will check with client for the above issues before accepting the job, and have a glance over the target before starting work.

Thanks again!

Yang

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Someone has to do it... Jan 9, 2017

... and to be fair, I have proofread and edited a lot of excellent translations over the years. I have also learnt a lot from colleagues that way. It is much easier to see other people's errors than your own! Unlike the translator, the editor can start by reading the target text first, without being influenced by the source.

The ISO definitions and procedures are excellent for reference, but in some cases the procedures are simply too much for a small text. I have regularly turned d
... See more
... and to be fair, I have proofread and edited a lot of excellent translations over the years. I have also learnt a lot from colleagues that way. It is much easier to see other people's errors than your own! Unlike the translator, the editor can start by reading the target text first, without being influenced by the source.

The ISO definitions and procedures are excellent for reference, but in some cases the procedures are simply too much for a small text. I have regularly turned down clients who asked me to look through 100 words and offered to pay me for 15 minutes... It took me longer than that to open the files, check the reference material and fill out the specifications of errors etc. afterwards! Don't do all that work for a very short text, unless you are paid for it in addition to the rate per word.

Apart from that, the ISO procedures are only binding on 'language service providers' or agencies who are certified, and those who agree to work for them. Everyone else is free to agree on any other terms they find appropriate.
That includes, naturally, refusing to agree to terms that are not reasonable.
Collapse

Veerle Geens

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are differences between review and proofreading job?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »