Thread poster: matt robinson
matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:55
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Apr 13, 2017

In the text I am correcting there is a superscript number indicating a footnote, but in the footnotes the note itself has not been included. Is there a standard way to indicate this in the corrected document. I am working with a monolingual document only.

TIA

Lieselotte Kleinhans
Lieselotte Kleinhans  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
Talk to the client Apr 13, 2017

I would talk to the client about this and follow his/her instructions.

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Talk to the client Apr 13, 2017

Yes, a bit tricky in this case. The document is part of a test that an agency has to submit as part of a tender for more work of this type. The end client will not be providing any instruction, and the agency may suggest something which is non-standard.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Talk to the client anyway Apr 13, 2017

Tests may include tricky situations to see how you handle them. If it is part of the test, then the client might also have the answer.

Otherwise, add a note that the footnote is missing, or mention it when you deliver the translation. If possible, deliver in good time, so that you can translate the footnote and add it before the final deadline, if they react. (If they are not accessible over the Easter break, for instance).

This will show you in a good light, and in a n
... See more
Tests may include tricky situations to see how you handle them. If it is part of the test, then the client might also have the answer.

Otherwise, add a note that the footnote is missing, or mention it when you deliver the translation. If possible, deliver in good time, so that you can translate the footnote and add it before the final deadline, if they react. (If they are not accessible over the Easter break, for instance).

This will show you in a good light, and in a non-test situation, you would be doing your best to sort out the problem. After that, it is up to the client.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't see the problem Apr 13, 2017

I was nearly not going to post this, because I felt I must be missing something here. If it were me, I'd just go over the text, notify my customer, and forget about it.

Like Christine says, it could just be a test of your attention to detail, to see if you say anything about it or keep schtoom. Strange kind of test, though.

[Edited at 2017-04-13 10:40 GMT]

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Strange kind of test Apr 13, 2017

It is indeed a strange test. It is a poorly written text containing deliberate mistakes of all kinds. The aim, as I understand it, is to evaluate the correction process, and not to produce a corrected text for future use.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 07:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Treat it as if... Apr 13, 2017

matt robinson wrote:

It is indeed a strange test. It is a poorly written text containing deliberate mistakes of all kinds. The aim, as I understand it, is to evaluate the correction process, and not to produce a corrected text for future use.

That seems a fair procedure for a test. I think you should treat it as if it was meant for future use. I suggest adding a comment in track changes to say "footnote is missing".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Missing footnote

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »