Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
New choices in membership, and the largest ProZ.com campaign to date: "The Open Road"
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:24
SITE STAFF
Oct 21, 2016

If you are a ProZ.com member, or are considering becoming one, more choice has been built into your ProZ.com membership. You can now choose between two service packages for membership, depending on your needs:

1. The Standard service package includes all of the benefits and services you already enjoy if you are... See more
If you are a ProZ.com member, or are considering becoming one, more choice has been built into your ProZ.com membership. You can now choose between two service packages for membership, depending on your needs:

1. The Standard service package includes all of the benefits and services you already enjoy if you are currently a full ProZ.com member. The pricing has improved, especially if you use the automatic subscription option (no more worrying about expiration or renewing dates).
  2. A new Plus package will be released on November 15. This package, designed with the needs of full-time professional freelancers in mind, will include everything in the Standard package PLUS certain extras. Special pre-registration pricing is available for this service package until November 15.

A campaign has been launched in connection with the availability of these two service packages. The theme for this campaign is The Open Road. No matter where you are in your career as a freelancer, ProZ.com is here to provide you with tools and opportunities you can use to get where you want to go.

This will be ProZ.com's largest membership campaign to date, with big incentives to accompany it. Pricing is discounted, and special prize giveaways are ongoing. An Apple Watch is being given away every Friday (three winners have already been announced), and one grand prize winner will take home a new Nissan Juke (car) at the end of the year.

If you are already a ProZ.com member, you may want to consider renewing your membership at this time. Please note that you do not lose any of the remaining value of your current membership when renewing early. And please help spread the word!

If you are not yet a ProZ.com member, now is the best time to join »

Questions about membership? ProZ.com staff are available through the support system. You can also chat live with someone from the ProZ.com site team on the membership page.
Collapse

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:24
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Two questions. Oct 21, 2016

What are the extra features of the Plus package?

Will this new model affect my current membership in any way whatsoever (rankings, visibility, access etc.)?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for asking Michal Oct 21, 2016

Hello Michal,

The extra features in the Plus service package are listed at http://www.proz.com/professional-membership#comparison-table-section (the third column). The ProZ.com team is working right now on building some of these services, and more will be added. Any new services or features released at ProZ.com or provided via partnerships will carry benef
... See more
Hello Michal,

The extra features in the Plus service package are listed at http://www.proz.com/professional-membership#comparison-table-section (the third column). The ProZ.com team is working right now on building some of these services, and more will be added. Any new services or features released at ProZ.com or provided via partnerships will carry benefits for holders of the Plus package.

This does not affect current full membership benefits in any way, as they remain the same. As for visibility and access, while those will be the same, the intention is to provide Plus package holders with, among other things, increased visibility beyond the confines of ProZ.com, by enabling potential clients to find and contact you without necessarily having to come to ProZ.com, for example, and they will have access to new services, training, and goods and services from ProZ.com partners.

Partial memberships, however, will be discontinued.

Further information is available at http://www.proz.com/professional-membership#faq , but let me know if any of that is unclear!
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Partial memberships are being discontinued Oct 21, 2016

Michal, I did not notice it at the time of posting the above, sorry. I updated my post, but to be clear, partial memberships are being discontinued. Current partial memberships will continue as-is until they expire. As ProZ.com membership has become more accessible, the need for, and the use of, partial memberships have declined, and the decision was made to simplify membership in that sense. Sorry for the confusion.

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Thank you! Oct 21, 2016

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:24
English to French
Being curious... Oct 22, 2016

I've signed up for the Plus package.

I think the best way to know what is on offer is to try. Whatever the outcome, the early-bird subscription pricing will not make any difference to my living standard.
Besides, there may be potential to get my money back many times over, which has always been the case since I registered as a proz.com paying member.

And last but not least, the picture suggests that the car music system is playing AC/DC. We salute you.

... See more

I think the best way to know what is on offer is to try. Whatever the outcome, the early-bird subscription pricing will not make any difference to my living standard.
Besides, there may be potential to get my money back many times over, which has always been the case since I registered as a proz.com paying member.

And last but not least, the picture suggests that the car music system is playing AC/DC. We salute you.

Philippe
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Too vague Oct 22, 2016

@Jared, when I read the description of the plus benefits, I only find vague statements and weasel words designed to avoid hard facts:

Cash and identity-related profile fields and validation: No idea what a "cash-related profile field" might be. Could you name some?

Library of training material: Could you list the content of this library?

"Basket" of goods and services from ProZ.com partners: Could you name goods and services or is this
... See more
@Jared, when I read the description of the plus benefits, I only find vague statements and weasel words designed to avoid hard facts:

Cash and identity-related profile fields and validation: No idea what a "cash-related profile field" might be. Could you name some?

"Basket" of goods and services from ProZ.com partners: Could you name goods and services or is this a surprise basket?

Advantages in client channels external to ProZ.com: Is it too hard to tell which advantages in which channels?

At the moment I have not a single clue what anyone would receive for the extra fee.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:24
Member (2004)
English to Italian
agree Oct 22, 2016

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

"Basket" of goods and services from ProZ.com partners: Could you name goods and services or is this a surprise basket?

Advantages in client channels external to ProZ.com: Is it too hard to tell which advantages in which channels?

At the moment I have not a single clue what anyone would receive for the extra fee.

not enough information to take advantage of the "special pre-registration pricing"...

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Plus package might not be for everyone; the team is working to make it as valuable as possible Oct 22, 2016

Hi Kay-Viktor and Giovanni,

I understand your position. Several of the components of the Plus service package are being built as I write this, so it is difficult to be too specific at this point. Some of the features will most likely evolve between now and the release (and no doubt afterward, as well), with the participation of early adopters. As specific programs, tools and services are confirmed they will be published, and this will continue after the November 15 release of the pa
... See more
Hi Kay-Viktor and Giovanni,

I understand your position. Several of the components of the Plus service package are being built as I write this, so it is difficult to be too specific at this point. Some of the features will most likely evolve between now and the release (and no doubt afterward, as well), with the participation of early adopters. As specific programs, tools and services are confirmed they will be published, and this will continue after the November 15 release of the package.

The Plus service package might not be for everyone, but the ProZ.com team is working hard to put as much value into it as possible, and to back up that value. Member satisfaction is a high priority: there has always been a satisfaction guarantee with membership, whereby you may request a refund on your remaining membership if you are not satisfied with your experience. For the Plus package, this has been taken a step further, with a guaranteed return on investment policy: If at the end of your first year after purchasing the Plus package (1) you are no longer satisfied with ProZ.com membership, and (2) you have not earned back from clients met via the site at least what you invested in the Plus package, ProZ.com will refund the money that you are "out" on the deal.

http://www.proz.com/professional-membership#faq_9
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for signing on, Philippe Oct 22, 2016

Hello Philippe,

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Thank you for your investment, and for your trust!

Very observant. I can of course neither confirm nor deny this. They may also be listening to Led Zeppelin.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Your answer makes everything even more surreal Oct 22, 2016

You are really asking people to sign up (and pay up) for something without knowing what it is? I'm baffled.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
So those of us with partial memberships will now have to pay nearly 2x as much for the same thing? Oct 23, 2016

Jared Tabor wrote:

Michal, I did not notice it at the time of posting the above, sorry. I updated my post, but to be clear, partial memberships are being discontinued. Current partial memberships will continue as-is until they expire. As ProZ.com membership has become more accessible, the need for, and the use of, partial memberships have declined, and the decision was made to simplify membership in that sense. Sorry for the confusion.

I for one find the decision to eliminate partial memberships a regrettable one. And only those willing to sign up for life (and ostensibly beyond) with automatically renewable "membership fees" will be entitled to any discount. Or has that changed? What happens if someone becomes ill or passes away and hasn't told their loved ones to cancel their Proz payments? How many translators provide their family with a blow-by-blow account of their involvement in translator-related sites?
I am also a bit taken aback by the out and out go-for-the-money attitude Proz is now openly presenting. Games, prizes, come-ons etc. What is this site turning into? What was once referred to as a community is now clearly just a customer base, for loyal and super-loyal customers. Others are being made to feel most unwelcome.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Interested in the Plus membership but wonder how much I would pay after the additional discount Oct 23, 2016

Hi Jared,

I saw this description about the Plus membership pre-registration: "As a current member, an additional discount may be applied at checkout based on the value of your remaining membership."

Would you clarify how much a current member should pay if he chooses to upgrade to the Plus membership?

In my understanding, it should be less than $149, which is the pre-registration price for new members. The renewing members should pay less than that because
... See more
Hi Jared,

I saw this description about the Plus membership pre-registration: "As a current member, an additional discount may be applied at checkout based on the value of your remaining membership."

Would you clarify how much a current member should pay if he chooses to upgrade to the Plus membership?

In my understanding, it should be less than $149, which is the pre-registration price for new members. The renewing members should pay less than that because of the additional discount. Am I correct?
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
still... Oct 24, 2016

I don't quite get it why you are offering an early registration for something which is not finalised yet? Wouldn't make more sense to start the campaign once everything is crystal clear and all the options are in place? A bit baffled by this...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too - Oct 24, 2016

writeaway wrote:

I am also a bit taken aback by the out and out go-for-the-money attitude Proz is now openly presenting. Games, prizes, come-ons etc. What is this site turning into? What was once referred to as a community is now clearly just a customer base, for loyal and super-loyal customers. Others are being made to feel most unwelcome.

I don't like this either. Why not just increase the standard membership by a small amount for everyone, and keep the serious professional tone that (until now) has always distinguished this site? Now we have little dancing cars, etc....

But it's probably too late for a rethink. Sigh.....

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New choices in membership, and the largest ProZ.com campaign to date: "The Open Road"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »