Plus features: Announcing the SecurePRO™ program
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:27
SITE FOUNDER
Dec 7, 2016

Assuring confidentiality in translation - the ProZ.com SecurePRO™ program

ProZ.com is proud to announce the ProZ.com SecurePRO™ program. The SecurePRO™ program will support freelancers and LSPs in meeting the challenges presented by increasing confidentiality and security demands, in a way that not only improves the industry, but also enables those participating to benefit.

This program is being launched in connection with the ongoing rollout of the Plus package. See that page for a video presentation with more details.

The best source of information on this program is the video. An FAQ will be maintained here. If you choose to comment about the program you may do so here, limiting yourself to no more than one or two posts. Thank you!

Basma Mohamed
Dudex Dudex (X)
Antonio Ubirajara da Silva
samira abdous
Mahan Mohammadi

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Aspects available (to you) now Dec 8, 2016

You will notice a new section on "Data Security" in your profile updater. [Profile updater > Data Security]

You will also notice a "SecurePRO™ Card", visible in the "standardized" section of your profile. For now, during the initial feedback period, your SecurePRO™ Card is visible only to you.

sotimottigma (X)
Dudex Dudex (X)
Abdisa

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not a good move Dec 9, 2016

The introduction of this "SecurePRO" feature into members' profiles is a bad move. When I click on it, the SecurePRO thingy states that my address, telephone number and identity are "unverified". You say that it's visible to me only "FOR THE MOMENT". This suggests that in due course it will be visible to all. It implies that, unless a translator subscribes to the "Plus Package", he or she will be shown to be "unverified", suggesting that he/she us an unknown and/or unreliable person. An unfair i... See more
The introduction of this "SecurePRO" feature into members' profiles is a bad move. When I click on it, the SecurePRO thingy states that my address, telephone number and identity are "unverified". You say that it's visible to me only "FOR THE MOMENT". This suggests that in due course it will be visible to all. It implies that, unless a translator subscribes to the "Plus Package", he or she will be shown to be "unverified", suggesting that he/she us an unknown and/or unreliable person. An unfair inducement to subscribe to the Plus Package, I think, and a veiled threat. "If you don't subscribe, you'll be described as unverified".
Not a good way to treat loyal and long-serving subscribers to Proz.com who have made substantial contributions to the site.
Henry, please think again. Do you really mean to alienate some of your most enthusiastic supporters?
Collapse

Goumiri Abdennour
Jean-Pierre Crespo
Dudex Dudex (X)
Antonio Ubirajara da Silva
samira abdous

Maggie WAKEFIELD
Maggie WAKEFIELD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:27
French to English
+ ...
"Security procedures - My standard policies include:... I use a wired internet connection" Dec 9, 2016

Does everybody always use a wired internet connection (except me) ?

Dudex Dudex (X)

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
My mobile phone is verified, but it appears as unverifed Dec 9, 2016

I received the verification confirmation 1 week ago, but now it appears unverified

Capture1

Please help

Best

[Edited at 2016-12-09 18:01 GMT]

Jean-Pierre Crespo

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Plus vs Standard Dec 9, 2016

Hi Jenny. Thanks for being a long-time member!

Jenny Forbes wrote:

... the SecurePRO thingy states that my address, telephone number and identity are "unverified". You say that it's visible to me only "FOR THE MOMENT". This suggests that in due course it will be visible to all.

Right. As I said in the video, though, it is all permission-based. You don't have to show a card; effectively, if you choose not to show it, you just won't have one in your profile.

It implies that, unless a translator subscribes to the "Plus Package", he or she will be shown to be "unverified", suggesting that he/she us an unknown and/or unreliable person. An unfair inducement to subscribe to the Plus Package, I think, and a veiled threat. "If you don't subscribe, you'll be described as unverified".

As I said, you can hide the card, so none of this is either inducement or threat. It is just a new program that you can choose to participate in, or not.

One of the goals of the program, as I explain in the video, is to give rise to the understanding among clients that sometimes there are costs involved in doing more to assure confidentiality and security.

I wonder: Is it working?

Seriously, though, do consider that the partners we are using to verify phone numbers, verify addresses and other such data, and the partner we will work with to verify corporate registrations, all charge fees. And don't forget that implementation of all this stuff involves significant development work and therefore costs. If you see value in this work and want to benefit, select the Plus package. If you don't, choose the Standard package. (Even then, you benefit in a way from the new Plus features, including this one, because the cost of the Standard package has gone down in connection with the introduction of choice.)

Thanks again!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Just made-up text Dec 9, 2016

MaggieW wrote:

Does everybody always use a wired internet connection (except me) ?

I doubt it! Obviously that is just dummy text to illustrate the type of thing one might say there. Plenty of people use wifi at home, and plenty work outside of the home.

This is the type of discussion we hope to stimulate with this program. If anyone wants to comment on their decision to use wifi or not, please feel free.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
How do I hide the card? Dec 9, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

As I said, you can hide the card, so none of this is either inducement or threat. It is just a new program that you can choose to participate in, or not.

Maybe I'm being dense, but how do I hide it? I don't see any option to toggle visibility on this feature. It's also unclear to me whether the wording "Data security" will still appear on my profile, or if this will be hidden too if I choose to do so.

Could you please elaborate, Henry?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
The option to hide the SecurePRO card is in the "Data Security" section of the profile updater Dec 9, 2016

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:
Maybe I'm being dense, but how do I hide it? I don't see any option to toggle visibility on this feature. It's also unclear to me whether the wording "Data security" will still appear on my profile, or if this will be hidden too if I choose to do so.

In the "Data Security" section of the profile updater, there is a "hide" option at the bottom. There is also a toggle option in the upper left when you view your own card.

If you choose not to show the card, that is what it will say in the standardized section of the profile. This is so that people aren't looking for it pointlessly.

Evelio Clavel Rosales
Evelio Clavel Rosales
SITE STAFF
I've fixed it. Thank you for reporting. Dec 9, 2016

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I received the verification confirmation 1 week ago, but now it appears unverified

Please help

Best

[Edited at 2016-12-09 18:01 GMT]

I've fixed it. Thank you for reporting.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Differentiation and "inducement"... Dec 9, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hi Jenny. Thanks for being a long-time member!

Jenny Forbes wrote:

... the SecurePRO thingy states that my address, telephone number and identity are "unverified". You say that it's visible to me only "FOR THE MOMENT". This suggests that in due course it will be visible to all.

Right. As I said in the video, though, it is all permission-based. You don't have to show a card; effectively, if you choose not to show it, you just won't have one in your profile.

It implies that, unless a translator subscribes to the "Plus Package", he or she will be shown to be "unverified", suggesting that he/she us an unknown and/or unreliable person. An unfair inducement to subscribe to the Plus Package, I think, and a veiled threat. "If you don't subscribe, you'll be described as unverified".

As mentioned several times (without any reply so far), this is one of the "plus features" that seem to introduce a clear differentiation between "plus" and "standard" members, despite what you've been telling us all along, that there would be no visible difference between the two tiers, etc.

Right now, accessing my profile while not signed it, I see "Data security (This profile has opted out of showing the SecurePRO™ Card)", accessing the profile of someone who has the option enabled I see "Data security Show SecurePRO™ card", while accessing someone else's profile, I get "Data security (To see the SecurePRO™ Card you need to be a Plus Susbcriber or Business Member)".

"None of this is either inducement or threat". Yeah, right... :-/

samira abdous

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
But... Dec 9, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

If you choose not to show the card, that is what it will say in the standardized section of the profile.

... this is the point Jenny was making, isn't it? Why would a site user who has adhered to this data security program choose to hide their badge? I don't really see any different between my profile telling site visitors I'm "unverified" or that I've chosen to hide my data security status.

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
As mentioned several times (without any reply so far), this is one of the "plus features" that seem to introduce a clear differentiation between "plus" and "standard" members, despite what you've been telling us all along, that there would be no visible difference between the two tiers, etc.

My feelings exactly.

[Edited at 2016-12-09 18:41 GMT]

samira abdous

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you, Fiona Dec 9, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

If you choose not to show the card, that is what it will say in the standardized section of the profile.

... this is the point Jenny was making, isn't it? Why would a site user who has adhered to this data security program choose to hide their badge? I don't really see any different between my profile telling site visitors I'm "unverified" or that I've chosen to hide my data security status.

Thank you, Fiona Grace. That is indeed the point I was making.

samira abdous

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Exactly Dec 9, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Thank you, Fiona Grace. That is indeed the point I was making.

Ditto.

P.S. In addition to the above... how does this wonderful new feature exactly help in meeting "increasing confidentiality and security demands" from clients? When I have my identity verified, my credentials verified, X WWAs from clients, a project history with corroborated entries, how does a home address, date of birth and phone "verification" increase the security and/or confidentiality of anything? You just added 2 fields, "Standard security procedures" and "Security procedures available upon request" where one can basically write anything (true or otherwise), that can't be "verified" and could have been added in the "standard" profile. Once again, this appears like a marketing device to entice members to pay more and potential clients to fall for it...

[Edited at 2016-12-09 18:57 GMT]

samira abdous

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I don't understand. Dec 9, 2016

Confidentiality and security procedures are part of the ethics and practice of a professional translator. Clients do not expect anything less from us. Some of the procedures suggested are so basics that it brings more shame than honor to highlight them. Besides, all derive from Proz Professional Guildelines most members/users of the site already endorse. And I can't see why a client would accept to pay a premium for the so-called "upon request" procedures, the idea itself being somehow insulting... See more
Confidentiality and security procedures are part of the ethics and practice of a professional translator. Clients do not expect anything less from us. Some of the procedures suggested are so basics that it brings more shame than honor to highlight them. Besides, all derive from Proz Professional Guildelines most members/users of the site already endorse. And I can't see why a client would accept to pay a premium for the so-called "upon request" procedures, the idea itself being somehow insulting to me.

The information may be educative for some clients/users who don't know what to expect from, or offer as, a professional translator, but in the end, the program, for creating fake value, will probably prove detrimental to members who don't subscribe to it, and what to say of its competition with the "Certified Pro" status - whose translators should be "SecurePro" by definition, shouldn't they?
Collapse

Goumiri Abdennour
Jean-Pierre Crespo

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plus features: Announcing the SecurePRO™ program

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »