Maria De Rose
Maria De Rose  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:09
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 1, 2016

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I would like to inform of you that I have been contacted by a "client" who aked me to translate some articles and insisted to pay me in advanced, a day ot 2 after depositing the check he contacted me saying tha there was a propblem and wanted me to reimburse him of the money. Till here everything was ok, but wehn I told him that as sson as the check would be available on my bank account I would give him back his money he began pressuring ... See more
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I would like to inform of you that I have been contacted by a "client" who aked me to translate some articles and insisted to pay me in advanced, a day ot 2 after depositing the check he contacted me saying tha there was a propblem and wanted me to reimburse him of the money. Till here everything was ok, but wehn I told him that as sson as the check would be available on my bank account I would give him back his money he began pressuring me to repay him before, by saying that there was an Emergency....this did not sound right to me, so I told him it was not possible he then asked for half of the money back and I had a gut feeling something was wrong. Anyhow it was a scam the check was fake. So beware.
This morning I received another email because he began phishing again and surely sends mass emails. He found my email on translatorcafe.com, but this person surely goes through all the translation websites.

He goes by the name of Dave Joan and his email is [email protected].

Hope this helps
Maria
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Wellknown scam Dec 1, 2016

Burn the check!

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:09
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No further action Dec 1, 2016

Hi Maria.

Thank God you did not act in order to reimburse the check to this criminal. We must be 24/7 aware of these activities.

Well done!

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:09
English to Spanish
... Dec 1, 2016

Maria De Rose wrote:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I would like to inform of you that I have been contacted by a "client" who asked me to translate some articles and insisted to pay me in advanced, a day or 2 after depositing the check he contacted me saying that there was a problem and wanted me to reimburse him of the money. Till here everything was ok...

At this point three things were in fact already wrong:
1) Your new client insisting on paying for the whole job in advance
2) You accepting such arrangement
3) Your client wanting you to reimburse him the money

This is a very old scam, a well known one, as mentioned by another member above.

aarial
aarial  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:09
English to French
OMG Thank you Maria De Rose Dec 2, 2016

Maria, thank you so much for putting this post because this guy just email me this morning and i was going to accept both big jobs he had. Thank you so much you just saved me times, money and a big headache.

Thank you, Thank you,

Annie Arial

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of fraud

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »