Thread poster: Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:36
French to English
Mar 10, 2011

Hello,

This issue has been bugging me for a while. It's not a major problem, but it's annoying and I would be really grateful if anyone has a solution to suggest.
Configuration: Windows 7 and Vista (same problem on 2 PCs), Trados Studio 2009 SP3, Word 2010.

The Word preview function (via the File/View in/Microsoft word as target) works fine if Word is closed.

However, if Word is already open I get the following error message (translated, my system is
... See more
Hello,

This issue has been bugging me for a while. It's not a major problem, but it's annoying and I would be really grateful if anyone has a solution to suggest.
Configuration: Windows 7 and Vista (same problem on 2 PCs), Trados Studio 2009 SP3, Word 2010.

The Word preview function (via the File/View in/Microsoft word as target) works fine if Word is closed.

However, if Word is already open I get the following error message (translated, my system is in French):

"The folder name is incorrect"
(C:\...\name of document\)

(This is the location exactly as it is given in the message, with the three dots).

The only way I can display the preview is to close word down and start again.

This problem has been happening ever since I upgraded Word to 2010 (which is a while - it's taken me a long time to get round to trying to sort it out).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kind regards,
Caroline
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:36
English to French
+ ...
In my case Mar 10, 2011

I work with Word 2000 and Trados 2009 SP3, and Open Microsoft Word as target works perfectly when Word is already open. Maybe because it's an older version of Word?...

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2011

Thanks for contributing your experience Jean-Pierre. I could go back to using Word 2007, but somehow I feel like I shouldn't have to...

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Same problem here Mar 11, 2011

Hi Caroline

I know this is not going to solve your problem, but I just wanted to tell you that you are not the only one. I experience this problem since quite a long time, but have not yet found the time to debug and solve it.

Maybe someone else has a solution? I cannot imagine that we are the only ones to see this.

Walter

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Office 2010 licensed? Mar 14, 2011

Dear Caroline,

could you please check, if your installation of MS Office 2010 has been activated/licensed correctly?
If not, you will get a red warning message on top of Word every time your start the application. This might also be responsible for the problems when you using the Preview in function.

Also could you please check, if you are using Office 2010 32bit or 64bit.

Kind regards,
SDL Support

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it's licensed Mar 14, 2011

Thanks for your input SDL support.

Yes, Word is licensed, and it's a 32-bit version.

Kind regards,
Caroline

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Update for Word Mar 15, 2011

Dear Caroline,

could you please install the following update for Microsoft Word 2010:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2494150

Please make sure you download the correct version and that you have closed MS Word during the installation process. After the installation of this update, please try again to use the "Preview In" function in Studio (with opened Word).
... See more
Dear Caroline,

could you please install the following update for Microsoft Word 2010:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2494150

Please make sure you download the correct version and that you have closed MS Word during the installation process. After the installation of this update, please try again to use the "Preview In" function in Studio (with opened Word).

Please let me know, if this helps to fix the problem.

Kind regards,

Felix
SDL Support
Collapse

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Already installed Mar 15, 2011

Hi Felix,

Thanks for your idea. I tried installing this update, but my system says that it's already installed. As far as I know, everything on my pc is up to date.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Allegro AS
Allegro AS
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Would like to see this fixed Jun 24, 2011

I would just like to say that I have the same annoying problem (since upgrading to Office 2010), and that I hope SDL are working on fixing this.

Alexandre Tissot
Alexandre Tissot  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
A few questions Nov 7, 2011

Good afternon,

I have SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 and it also contains Trados 2007 Freelance. It is a pack. When I want to translate a word document with Translator's as Workbench in the 2007 Trados, there is no toolbar in Word and I have Office 2010 with Windows 7 like you. I figured out that I had to look for the trados8.dotm template in my folers but it seems that it does not exist in my files nor on my computer. Did you experience the same situation? If so, what did you do?
... See more
Good afternon,

I have SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 and it also contains Trados 2007 Freelance. It is a pack. When I want to translate a word document with Translator's as Workbench in the 2007 Trados, there is no toolbar in Word and I have Office 2010 with Windows 7 like you. I figured out that I had to look for the trados8.dotm template in my folers but it seems that it does not exist in my files nor on my computer. Did you experience the same situation? If so, what did you do?

After searching on the Internet, I read that there was an other possibility that was to use Office 2003 or 2007 but do you think that you can have both versions 2003 o 2007 and 2010 on the same computer?

Finally, as you wrote it, there is also the option of downloading 32-bit version o 64 bit of Office 2010 but does it really work?

May I ask you the kind of Office 2010 license you have, please?

Thank you for your answers and your help.

Best regards,

Alexandre
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009/Word 2010 Preview does not work if Word is already open

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »