Thread poster: Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Jana Kohl
Jana Kohl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:42
Russian to German
+ ...
Use of local and server based TMs Jun 15, 2014

Hi, a translation agency client is planning to purchase Groupshare 2014, but doesn't know the answer to the following queries - any help will be much appreciated:

- suppose the client purchased an SDL GroupShare 2014 licence and the freelancer doesn't have SDL Studio/Trados (but a different CAT), what licence/software will the freelancer require to enable them to work with GroupShare?

- suppose client and freelancer have all required licences/software to use SDL GroupSh
... See more
Hi, a translation agency client is planning to purchase Groupshare 2014, but doesn't know the answer to the following queries - any help will be much appreciated:

- suppose the client purchased an SDL GroupShare 2014 licence and the freelancer doesn't have SDL Studio/Trados (but a different CAT), what licence/software will the freelancer require to enable them to work with GroupShare?

- suppose client and freelancer have all required licences/software to use SDL GroupShare 2014, is it possible for the freelancer to use their own (local) TM at the same time as the client's serverbased TM?

- if it is just possible to use the client's serverbased TM(s), can the freelancer export the finalized translation to their own (local) TM? If yes, what is the workflow?

Thank you,
J Kohl
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Answers to the queries... Jun 15, 2014

Jana Kohl wrote:

If the intention is to connect to a live Translation Memory, Termbase or Project, then you will require a copy of Studio. This can be Starter, Freelance, Workgroup or Professional : http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4939&source=Article&c=12&cid=23 No other CAT software can be used in these online scenarios.

Jana Kohl wrote:
- suppose client and freelancer have all required licences/software to use SDL GroupShare 2014, is it possible for the freelancer to use their own (local) TM at the same time as the client's serverbased TM?

Yes.

Jana Kohl wrote:
- if it is just possible to use the client's serverbased TM(s), can the freelancer export the finalized translation to their own (local) TM? If yes, what is the workflow?

If you choose to work only with the online TM then the ability to run a final export is entirely based on permissions. So if your client provides the necessary permission to export the contents of the TM then you can do it. But assuming you only wish to be able to retain the work you have done yourself then you can always import the sdlxliff you worked on into your own TM anyway.

Regards

Paul

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Local time: 06:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Just looking for info I'm already annoyed Dec 3, 2014

The SDL site doesn't give you much info and the only way to get a brochure is to send them your info so they can send you the brochure. There's no contact number but you can send them your info so they can contact you. What is this, the mafia? They're the only ones who can contact you?

I'll pass.

Thomas Johansson

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Did you try this page? Dec 3, 2014

http://www.sdl.com/products/sdl-studio-groupshare/

There is quite a lot of info in there including the product brief, which I guess you can get within your own guidelines for information sharing with a little imagination!

You can also use the "Contact Us" link which if you scroll down has a live chat facility. So not too hard to talk to us.

Sorry
... See more
http://www.sdl.com/products/sdl-studio-groupshare/

There is quite a lot of info in there including the product brief, which I guess you can get within your own guidelines for information sharing with a little imagination!

You can also use the "Contact Us" link which if you scroll down has a live chat facility. So not too hard to talk to us.

Sorry you found it difficult though, where did you look? I thought going to http://www.sdl.com and then selecting Products and GroupShare was straightforward but perhaps not? I think we're always interested to try and make it easier so your feedback would be useful.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Maria Labaca
Maria Labaca  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you need to have SDL to use GroupShare? Sep 20, 2016

Do you actually need to have a paid version of SDL to use it? I'm currently using WordFast.

Thank you!

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
English to Arabic
Do you need to have SDL to use GroupShare? Sep 20, 2016

Hi ML,

GroupShare is an SDL internally developed product designed to aid the collaboration between project managers and freelancers using SDL Studio licenses.
Therefore to be able to work on GS projects it is essential that you own SDL Studio 2015 (earlier versions are NOT compatible).

You can obtain a licensed Studio 2015 version (includes Studio 2017 Free of charge upon release) from your local SDL authorised res
... See more
Hi ML,

GroupShare is an SDL internally developed product designed to aid the collaboration between project managers and freelancers using SDL Studio licenses.
Therefore to be able to work on GS projects it is essential that you own SDL Studio 2015 (earlier versions are NOT compatible).

You can obtain a licensed Studio 2015 version (includes Studio 2017 Free of charge upon release) from your local SDL authorised reseller
http://www.translationzone.com/search/?query=resellers

Kr

SDL_Steve
Collapse

Araceli Arola
Araceli Arola  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Popup windows asking for login Apr 6, 2017

Hi,
After reading all your comments and exploring SDL web site, I cannot understand why I get the popup window to log in the GroupShare everytime I try to create a project in my SDL Trados 2017 (standard freelance licence).

I'm definitely not registered in GroupShare or have intention to do it, but it keeps on popping-up. It is really annoying!

Anybody knows how to get rid of this?

Thanks in advance!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:42
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Using Groupshare but working offline in MemoQ Jul 6, 2017

I have been approached by an agency about a Groupshare project. However, even though I have SDL Studio, I do all my work in MemoQ, even on sdlxliff files. The very few times I have worked on a server based SDL project I save the sdlxliff file and work on it in MemoQ. Does anyone know if this workflow will work with Groupshare?

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:42
German to Turkish
+ ...
@John Fossey Aug 25, 2018

John Fossey wrote:

I have been approached by an agency about a Groupshare project. However, even though I have SDL Studio, I do all my work in MemoQ, even on sdlxliff files. The very few times I have worked on a server based SDL project I save the sdlxliff file and work on it in MemoQ. Does anyone know if this workflow will work with Groupshare?

Currently, I am in a similar situation. I use memoQ and I don't have any Studio versions installed. One of the end clients of my agency client now requires to use Studio and they have provided some Groupshare login info.

I will seriously consider dropping this client in case I need to buy Studio under these circumstances. :/

I was wondering whether you found answers to this issue.

Thank you,
Elif

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GroupShare has anyone tried it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »