Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:49
Member (2008)
English to German
A hint: Worked on a another machine May 12, 2015

Here's a hint: I opened the same project on another machine (identical files, as shared via Dropbox) and it worked without a flaw.

So, I'm suspecting corrupt setting files, but removing BaseSettings.xml, plugincache.xml and UserSettings.xml did not fix it. So, for now I am at loss here.

Elena Ivaniushina
Elena Ivaniushina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:49
English to Russian
+ ...
Exactly the same problem. May 29, 2015

And now I am also in the same boat.

I've upgraded to SDL Trados 2014 SP2, and I am getting exactly the same issue with a seemingly normal sdlxliff file: endless warnings "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", "An unexpected error occured while activating the document view" and "To modify this document, you must check it out".

The offending sdlxliff files were sent to me as sdlxliff files (not an SDL project) by my colleague who is using a 2014 version.
... See more
And now I am also in the same boat.

I've upgraded to SDL Trados 2014 SP2, and I am getting exactly the same issue with a seemingly normal sdlxliff file: endless warnings "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", "An unexpected error occured while activating the document view" and "To modify this document, you must check it out".

The offending sdlxliff files were sent to me as sdlxliff files (not an SDL project) by my colleague who is using a 2014 version. These are certainly not GroupShare files, and they were not created as a legacy project.

I've tried all solutions and workarounds suggested here in the forum and in the SDL Knowlege Base: removing/deleting the xml settings files, repairing the installation, resetting the window layout. Also, like some of the posters in this thread, I cannot create a new definition because it already exists in my SDL Trados version.

Unfortunately I've installed this 2014 version on the top of my earlier 2009 version, so I am not able to try opening these files in an earlier version of SDL Trados.

So far, none of the suggested solutions isn't working for me, and I am not able to work with these files in a program, for which they were created.

I've found a different solution for these files, for now (I've used memoQ), but this is certainly not a normal situation, and it needs to be corrected.

Is there any information regarding the supposed date of a patch that might correct this problem?

[Edited at 2015-05-29 03:56 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Alya May 29, 2015

Do you work with this sdlxliff separately (i.e. is it a one-file project) or do you add it to an existing project?

Have you tried the simpliest way to fix the "Object reference..." error by using View -- > Reset window layout?

Natalia

Elena Ivaniushina
Elena Ivaniushina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Tried all suggested solutions May 29, 2015

Hello Natalie,

I've tried both using stand-alone files and adding them to a new project.

Also I've tried all suggested solutions, gathered here on the Proz forum and in the SDL Knowlege base:

* resetting window layout
* closing the program and deleting/renaming the xml files with base and user settings and plugin cache from C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0\
* deleting/renaming the xml file from C:\Users\[User N
... See more
Hello Natalie,

I've tried both using stand-alone files and adding them to a new project.

Also I've tried all suggested solutions, gathered here on the Proz forum and in the SDL Knowlege base:

* resetting window layout
* closing the program and deleting/renaming the xml files with base and user settings and plugin cache from C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0\
* deleting/renaming the xml file from C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\11.0.0.0\
* deleting/renaming the xml projects file from C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects\
* repairing SDL Trados
* uninstalling it and re-installing it
* creating a new file definition (which failed, because I already had the "SDL XLIFF 1.0 v 1.0.0.0" identifier on my system)

None of those fixes has helped, in my case.

[Edited at 2015-05-29 08:13 GMT]
Collapse

Laura Vinti
Laura Vinti  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:49
German to Italian
+ ...
Any news on this? Jun 26, 2015

Same problem here: I'm working with a single sdlxliff file and I get all those error messages.
When I tried to fix the problem according to the video Paul posted, I get the message "A file type with the file type identifier "SDL XLIFF 1.0 v 1.0.0.0" already exists".

Has anyone figured out a way to fix this problem?

Many thanks!

Laura

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bump! Jun 27, 2015

Let me bump this up - I am also still very interested in a working solution!

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
A few hints that might prove helpful Jul 17, 2015

I have had the problem again, and here are a few observations that could help you to either track the problem (hello SDL!) or find a workaround for your project:

• Opening multiple files in one Editor tab (a Trados 2014 feature) caused the error, IF there were both ttx and sdlxliff files present. Selecting only one category (either ttx or sldxliff) worked without a problem.

• ttx files don't seem to cause the problem, only sldxliff files

• Prob... See more
I have had the problem again, and here are a few observations that could help you to either track the problem (hello SDL!) or find a workaround for your project:

• Opening multiple files in one Editor tab (a Trados 2014 feature) caused the error, IF there were both ttx and sdlxliff files present. Selecting only one category (either ttx or sldxliff) worked without a problem.

• ttx files don't seem to cause the problem, only sldxliff files

• Problematic sldxliff files show a message "This file has been created without a file type definition" and thus some features are not working with the file

• In my current project, though, I was able to work with such an sdlxliff file, if I opened only this one file (no editing of multiple files in one Editor tab)

It seems like I should be able to fix the problem if I added a file type definition. If someone from SDL should read this post: I can add a file type setting in the project settings - any hints? But then again, there are tons of different file types out there, so I probably would need to know what the original source files were. (In this specific projects it was a website project that had combined all source files (HTML? Database content?) and then split the bunch into random batches, so no way to actually tell.)
Collapse

Hanna Gembus
Hanna Gembus  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
The video worked, thank you sooo much! Aug 6, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

... which should allow you to work without having to ask your client for anything. All you have to do is create an empty filetype with the same File Type Identifier as the one in your project.

I created a short video to explain how to do this as it'll be easier to follow this way I think.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Heike Kast
Heike Kast  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Dec 11, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

... which should allow you to work without having to ask your client for anything. All you have to do is create an empty filetype with the same File Type Identifier as the one in your project.

I created a short video to explain how to do this as it'll be easier to follow this way I think.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Thanks for the video, Paul. You have just saved my day!

[Bearbeitet am 2015-12-11 12:16 GMT]

hever
hever
Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Solution Oct 31, 2016

Hi all,

I also had this issue with one of my linguists once I created her a SDL Studio 2009 package.
She has SDL Studio 2014 SP2 and she encountered the same error as described in this thread.
The solution that worked in this case is to "Create Project Package" and not "Create Studio 2009 Package".
    So If you are a linguist, then ask your client to create the package like above.

And if you are a SLV/MLV, then you need t... See more
Hi all,

I also had this issue with one of my linguists once I created her a SDL Studio 2009 package.
She has SDL Studio 2014 SP2 and she encountered the same error as described in this thread.
The solution that worked in this case is to "Create Project Package" and not "Create Studio 2009 Package".
    So If you are a linguist, then ask your client to create the package like above.

And if you are a SLV/MLV, then you need to ensure the linguist version and create the package accordingly.

Let me if it works for you now.

Good Luck.
Fouad
Collapse

Jens Lindén
Jens Lindén  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Still an issue ... Apr 19, 2017

I am to this date, April 19 2017, still having this problem sometimes, and almost always when opening multiple sdlxliff files with the quick merge function in Studio 2014. One of my clients rarely sends packages, but sdlxliff files which I then import into an existing project. And usually I can open them one by one in the editor, but when using the quick merge function, the Check Out Error almost always appear (when handling files from this Client).

It's obviously not a qu
... See more
I am to this date, April 19 2017, still having this problem sometimes, and almost always when opening multiple sdlxliff files with the quick merge function in Studio 2014. One of my clients rarely sends packages, but sdlxliff files which I then import into an existing project. And usually I can open them one by one in the editor, but when using the quick merge function, the Check Out Error almost always appear (when handling files from this Client).

It's obviously not a question about the File Type Identifier since this exclusively happens with sdlxliff files. Could it be how my Client generates the files, i.e. the original file format, or some compatibility quirk with earlier Studio versions, e.g. if the files are created in Studio 2009?

It would be great with some follow-up input from Paul on this matter.

[Edited at 2017-04-19 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-19 16:43 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check out required?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »