Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 10:43
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 25, 2015

Yesterday I installed Studio 2014. When trying to open a package from a client this morning I realized that I can open but not modify the document and have to "Check it out" before - but this option is greyed out on the ribbon. In Studio 2011 I can open the package without problems.

Also, I receive many, many "Object reference" error messages, when opening document and clicking on segments.

Hadn't I followed the great advice in Emma Goldsmith's blog and installed both v
... See more
Yesterday I installed Studio 2014. When trying to open a package from a client this morning I realized that I can open but not modify the document and have to "Check it out" before - but this option is greyed out on the ribbon. In Studio 2011 I can open the package without problems.

Also, I receive many, many "Object reference" error messages, when opening document and clicking on segments.

Hadn't I followed the great advice in Emma Goldsmith's blog and installed both verions alongside each other, I would now have to contact my client and tell him that his urgent project will have to wait due to software problems - thank you, Emma!!!

How to get rid of the annoying error messages? And what kind of package my client has to send for me to be able to check it out?

Best regards,
Anna
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
What kind of package did you receive? Feb 25, 2015

Anna

How did you receive this package? Was it a file with the extension .sdlppx that you opened using the command "Open Package"?

I ask because the "Check out" function you mention only applies to server-based projects that you can download from a GroupShare Project Server, but not to file-based project packages.

In case you opened a server-based project, you need to have the corresponding rights to "check out". Theses rights must be assigned to your user b
... See more
Anna

How did you receive this package? Was it a file with the extension .sdlppx that you opened using the command "Open Package"?

I ask because the "Check out" function you mention only applies to server-based projects that you can download from a GroupShare Project Server, but not to file-based project packages.

In case you opened a server-based project, you need to have the corresponding rights to "check out". Theses rights must be assigned to your user by the administrator.

Walter
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File-based Feb 26, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Well, I guess then it is even more strange than I thought, because the package was file-based (sdlppx). And then I tried with older packages from the same client - they opened without problems. I pointed it out to the PM as well, but got no answer. Maybe it is something they have to change on their side?

Best regards,
Anna

Anthie Kyriakopoulou
Anthie Kyriakopoulou  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Greek
+ ...
"Check out required" - Studio 2014 Apr 1, 2015

Hello,

I had the same error warnings.
Have you managed to figure out a solution?

Best regards,

Anthie

rogerB
rogerB  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Seems problem is in an update Apr 13, 2015

Same problem here as well on some packages, and they started appearing during the last week or so.

Even projects that I have created on my computer, and then gotten back from another translator sometimes have this problem.

Any solution from SDL?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This problem does relate to an update Apr 21, 2015

Hi,

The "checkout" message is at the end, and you probably had object ref errors before that which you clicked away? This is caused because the package contains filetype definitions (*.sdlftsettings) for a file(s) in the package that is not on your system. If you can get the *.sdlftsettings files being used from your client then you can import them into your filetypes (in Project Settings for that project) and then the error will not happen.

This is the best workaroun
... See more
Hi,

The "checkout" message is at the end, and you probably had object ref errors before that which you clicked away? This is caused because the package contains filetype definitions (*.sdlftsettings) for a file(s) in the package that is not on your system. If you can get the *.sdlftsettings files being used from your client then you can import them into your filetypes (in Project Settings for that project) and then the error will not happen.

This is the best workaround for now, and we should release a fix in the near future. This doesn't happen with versions of Studio earlier than 2014 SP2 CU8.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Better late than never! Apr 21, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thanks, I will ask my client for the filetypes next time, but I hope this gets fixed quickly! Until now I have had an unused, very expensive piece of software sitting on my system - and it always is annoying and time-consuming if clients have to provide extra files.

Best regards,
Anna

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The other thing... Apr 21, 2015

... is that the package was probably a Studio 2009 package. If your client provided a package created for a supported version of the software then this wouldn't happen either. I don't know if they have 2011/2014 and just ceated the 2009 package in error, or if they are using Studio 2009, but there's two workarounds until we provide a permanent solution.

Regards

Paul
... See more
... is that the package was probably a Studio 2009 package. If your client provided a package created for a supported version of the software then this wouldn't happen either. I don't know if they have 2011/2014 and just ceated the 2009 package in error, or if they are using Studio 2009, but there's two workarounds until we provide a permanent solution.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
??? Apr 21, 2015

When I upgraded to 2014, I did so because supposedly 2009 packages and files are compatible with the new version. Had I known that there are issues, I obviously wouldn't have upgraded.

I have refrained from SDL bashing so far and generally find it a useful and user-friendly software, but now, with 2015 being proudly announced before you have solved serious compatibility issues between the two earlier versions I start to feel compelled to join the chorus of anger and despair.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It should handle it... Apr 21, 2015

... as I said this problem arose two service packs and eight cumulative updates into 2014. So we clearly broke something that already worked.

My point was to provide you with two workarounds in case your client inadvertently created a 2009 Package (as this is posible with 2011/2014) and could solve the problem by not doing this. If they only have Studio 2009 then that particular solution clearly won't work.

Regards
... See more
... as I said this problem arose two service packs and eight cumulative updates into 2014. So we clearly broke something that already worked.

My point was to provide you with two workarounds in case your client inadvertently created a 2009 Package (as this is posible with 2011/2014) and could solve the problem by not doing this. If they only have Studio 2009 then that particular solution clearly won't work.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
An update on this after speaking to the support team... Apr 21, 2015

... which should allow you to work without having to ask your client for anything. All you have to do is create an empty filetype with the same File Type Identifier as the one in your project.

I created a short video to explain how to do this as it'll be easier to follow this way I think.

Regards

Paul
... See more
... which should allow you to work without having to ask your client for anything. All you have to do is create an empty filetype with the same File Type Identifier as the one in your project.

I created a short video to explain how to do this as it'll be easier to follow this way I think.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 22, 2015

Hi Paul,

thank you! I will give this a try next time!

Best regards,
Anna

Estelle Guilbert-Petrov
Estelle Guilbert-Petrov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
It worked Apr 27, 2015

Dear all

just to say I encountered the same problem today and created a file as advised in the video, it worked perfectly

Thank you Paul!

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A file type with the file type identifier "XML: DITA 1.2 v 1.2.0.0" already exists... May 7, 2015

...Please change the file type identifier so that it is unique.

When I follow the steps in your video, I get the above error message. What to do now?

Best regards,
Anna

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Same here: Definition already exists May 12, 2015

I get the same prompt (in my case for SDL XLIFF 1.0 v 1.0.0.0). This prompt basically means, that a definition for this file type already exists.

The bummer about this: If the definition is already in the project, there should be no error according to the bug fix video. (In my case the file definition is the standard SDL XLIFF format, so there shouldn't be any compatibility problems anyway).

This means: There have to be other causes for this bug to appear.
... See more
I get the same prompt (in my case for SDL XLIFF 1.0 v 1.0.0.0). This prompt basically means, that a definition for this file type already exists.

The bummer about this: If the definition is already in the project, there should be no error according to the bug fix video. (In my case the file definition is the standard SDL XLIFF format, so there shouldn't be any compatibility problems anyway).

This means: There have to be other causes for this bug to appear.

In my case, I also have asked the client to send me the files not in a package, but simply as SDLXLIFFS, which I then create a new project with. But I still see the error when I do this. So, I am lost with a workaround in this case.

Any ideas someone?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check out required?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »