Acubens
Acubens
Italy
Local time: 14:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 25, 2017

Hello guys!
I would need your help on a Trados "issue". I re-installed Trados 2015 on my new 64 bit pc (which has a lot of integrated Apps).
When working on a Trados package, I'd like to directly send the return package via my default e-mail program (Thunderbird) but for some strange reasons, Outlook opens automatically.
I had a look at the Trados settings and cannot find a way to associate Trados to Thunderbird instead of Outlook.
Please note that Outlook is not installe
... See more
Hello guys!
I would need your help on a Trados "issue". I re-installed Trados 2015 on my new 64 bit pc (which has a lot of integrated Apps).
When working on a Trados package, I'd like to directly send the return package via my default e-mail program (Thunderbird) but for some strange reasons, Outlook opens automatically.
I had a look at the Trados settings and cannot find a way to associate Trados to Thunderbird instead of Outlook.
Please note that Outlook is not installed on my pc and when I click on "send the package via email" the Outlook wizard opens directly.
I do not want to replace Thunderbird with Outlook.
If I well remember, I didn't have such a problem on my old pc.
I hope someone can help!
Thanks in advance to all!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Not a Trados issue Mar 25, 2017

I don't think you can "associate Thunderbird and Trados".

As far as I understand, you create a return package, then open the related the related folder (in Windows Explorer), right-click the folder, choose "send to" - and at this moment Outlook opens instead of Thunderbird.

If I have understood correctly what you are doing, then this means that your Thunderbird is not your default mail client.

In Thunderbird, go to Tools - Options - Advanced, and in the "S
... See more

As far as I understand, you create a return package, then open the related the related folder (in Windows Explorer), right-click the folder, choose "send to" - and at this moment Outlook opens instead of Thunderbird.

If I have understood correctly what you are doing, then this means that your Thunderbird is not your default mail client.

In Thunderbird, go to Tools - Options - Advanced, and in the "System integration" option tick the box "Always check to see if Thunderbird is the default mail client on startup".

Hope this helps, but if not then please clarify what exactly you are doing and how.
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:46
French to English
+ ...
Windows settings Mar 26, 2017

I assume you have Windows 10 installed on your new 64 bit computer. If so, go into Settings, Default app settings, and choose Thunderbird as your default email app.
If this doesn't work for some reason, go to "Set defaults by app" and choose Thunderbird.

HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2017-03-26 11:19 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Not possible Mar 27, 2017

Acubens wrote:

I'd like to directly send the return package via my default e-mail program (Thunderbird) but for some strange reasons, Outlook opens automatically.

I'm surprised you had Thunderbird/Studio working together on another computer. As far as I know, Outlook is the only email client that works with Studio.

Acubens
Acubens
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mmm... simply associate Thunderbird to Trados Mar 27, 2017

Natalie wrote:

In Thunderbird, go to Tools - Options - Advanced, and in the "System integration" option tick the box "Always check to see if Thunderbird is the default mail client on startup".

Hope this helps, but if not then please clarify what exactly you are doing and how.

Thanks for your suggestion but it doesn't work. When I create/return a Trados package, my Trados, once all is ready, automatically opens the relative email (do not know why but it's okay with me). The problem is that it opens Outlook (precisely it opens the Outlook wizard as Outlook is not installed on my pc). What I would like to do is to have Thunderbird opened (and not Outlook).
Thanks!

Acubens
Acubens
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed, I have it! Mar 27, 2017

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

I assume you have Windows 10 installed on your new 64 bit computer. If so, go into Settings, Default app settings, and choose Thunderbird as your default email app.
If this doesn't work for some reason, go to "Set defaults by app" and choose Thunderbird.

HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2017-03-26 11:19 GMT]

I followed your instructions but it seems that Thunderbird is already my default email app

Acubens
Acubens
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed they do not work together Mar 27, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Acubens wrote:

I'd like to directly send the return package via my default e-mail program (Thunderbird) but for some strange reasons, Outlook opens automatically.

I'm surprised you had Thunderbird/Studio working together on another computer. As far as I know, Outlook is the only email client that works with Studio.

So, do you confirm that what I would like to do is not possible?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to associate Thunderbird to Trados 2015

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »