SZM
Local time: 16:55
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 9, 2017

The problem goes like this:

In the source segment, a number and a weight measuremement are written:
e.g. "50g". In the target segment, they should be separated: "50 g"
You do it by inserting a space and saving the segment, and the question seems to be solved.

It is all right until going to the next segment in which a number and a measurement should be separated again.
You do the same as above.

After saving the second segment and looking b
... See more
The problem goes like this:

In the source segment, a number and a weight measuremement are written:
e.g. "50g". In the target segment, they should be separated: "50 g"
You do it by inserting a space and saving the segment, and the question seems to be solved.

It is all right until going to the next segment in which a number and a measurement should be separated again.
You do the same as above.

After saving the second segment and looking back to the previous similar segment you will see that the inserted space has disappeared: "50 g" returned to "50g".
The same thing happens even if the number is other than 50, and also the measurement is different, e.g.: kg.

I have not found solution in the knowledge base yet.
Did anybody of you all solve such a problem?

Thanks for your attention and help in advance.
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:55
Member (2008)
English to French
I'm in Trados 2017 Apr 9, 2017

But I believe it's the same thing for 2015 :

You go to Project settings > Language Pairs > Your language pair (not All Language Pairs, the one below that) > Translation Memory and Automated Translations > Auto-substitution > Measurements

There you can choose how Trados deals with spacing between numbers and units for auto-substitution. From your description you're either using 'Use the same spacing between the number and the unit that is used in the document source segm
... See more
But I believe it's the same thing for 2015 :

You go to Project settings > Language Pairs > Your language pair (not All Language Pairs, the one below that) > Translation Memory and Automated Translations > Auto-substitution > Measurements

There you can choose how Trados deals with spacing between numbers and units for auto-substitution. From your description you're either using 'Use the same spacing between the number and the unit that is used in the document source segment' or 'Never use a space between the number and unit' - choose which ever other option works best for you (use same as in TM, always use a space, always use a non-breaking space, always use a custom space).
Collapse

SZM
SZM
Local time: 16:55
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Arianne! Apr 10, 2017

Your advice has perfectly been helpful.

I changed settings as you said, and the spaces now remain between numbers and units.

Many thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spaces which (should not) disappear - Studio 2015

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »