Can changes from sentences edited in Trados be propagated automatically after editing the strings?
Thread poster: Mayca M.R.
Mayca M.R.
Mayca M.R.  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 9, 2017

Hello:

I am translating different files in Trados belonging to the same manual. Many segments have been propagated from the first file to the other ones, since they are repeated.

But, after finishing the translation, I discovered that I have to make changes in 3 sentences of the first file. And it means that those changes should be done in the rest of the files as well.

When I do the changes in the three sentences of the first file, can Trados propagate the
... See more
Hello:

I am translating different files in Trados belonging to the same manual. Many segments have been propagated from the first file to the other ones, since they are repeated.

But, after finishing the translation, I discovered that I have to make changes in 3 sentences of the first file. And it means that those changes should be done in the rest of the files as well.

When I do the changes in the three sentences of the first file, can Trados propagate them to the other segments in the other files?
Must I go file per file identifying those sentences in which the changes must be done and make each change manually?
Can this be done automatically by Trados via some kind of specific set up that maybe you know?

Thanks for your help!
Mayca

[Edited at 2017-04-09 17:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 17:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 17:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 17:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 18:14 GMT]
Collapse

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:17
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Auto-propagation Apr 9, 2017

You should edit your project to allow auto-propagation to happen. Here you can find how to do it:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Auto-propagation.htm
"First segment in document" has to be enabled too.

Furthermore, you have to open all files of the project tog
... See more
You should edit your project to allow auto-propagation to happen. Here you can find how to do it:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Auto-propagation.htm
"First segment in document" has to be enabled too.

Furthermore, you have to open all files of the project together, like a long document, so that all corrections are made through all files.
Collapse

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:17
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
apply perfect match to all Apr 10, 2017

Mayca M.R. wrote:

Hello:

When I do the changes in the three sentences of the first file, can Trados propagate them to the other segments in the other files?
Must I go file per file identifying those sentences in which the changes must be done and make each change manually?
Can this be done automatically by Trados via some kind of specific set up that maybe you know?

Thanks for your help!
Mayca

I don't know if it works, though.
I guess it won't hurt if you select all the other files and "Apply PerfectMatch".
Basically you update main TM and project TM after the first file was changed, and then select all the other files to Apply Perfect Match.

Mayca M.R.
Mayca M.R.  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your help, guys! Apr 10, 2017

Thank you very much for your help, guys!

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:17
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
The best way to approach this Apr 10, 2017

Mayca M.R. wrote:

Hello:

Thanks for your help!
Mayca

Is to highlight all of the files in the "Files" view by left clicking with the ctrl key pressed, then right click on the top file and choose 'open for translation'. This then opens ALL the sdlxliff files you highlighted and once you have configured your autopropagation rules in settings, it will be a simple matter of making the change in the first segment and then accepting the change in the rest (i.e. all the segments across all sdlxliff files you opened).

Opening more than one file in studio is really handy for repetitions (it opens all the files as if they were one sdlxliff).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can changes from sentences edited in Trados be propagated automatically after editing the strings?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »