The chain reaction between Windows 10 Creators Update - Trados 2007 and Studio 2017's bugs
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 14, 2017

Hi,

Today i upgraded one machine to the Windows 10 Creators Update. Later on i went on to download a job which includes a Trados 2007 TM embedded. Owning both Studio 2017 and Trados 2007 i have always found more confortable to load the TM in 2007, and export it in TMX format so that i could reimport it on the main TM in Studio. The whole process has always worked very well without a hitch for many years now and despite not being perfectly orthodox it is ok.

Now, after t
... See more
Hi,

Today i upgraded one machine to the Windows 10 Creators Update. Later on i went on to download a job which includes a Trados 2007 TM embedded. Owning both Studio 2017 and Trados 2007 i have always found more confortable to load the TM in 2007, and export it in TMX format so that i could reimport it on the main TM in Studio. The whole process has always worked very well without a hitch for many years now and despite not being perfectly orthodox it is ok.

Now, after the Windows update i realized my sole Trados 2007 remaining (another got lost in space years ago and i never reclaimed it even though also in that case it was at best arguable whether that was fine) has gone. So i went for the UPGRADE TRANSLATION MEMORIES function in Studio 2017. Unsurprisingly, an error message popped up and Studio crashed. This error goes on and on and on. This is not the first time the issue occurs and that is one of them main reasons why i kept 2007 on hand (the other reasons being that 1) Studio still can't open or process some 2007 files properly and 2) I don't like the way the UPGRADE TM function works in Studio).

Now i have two questions (one support request has already been sent to SDL but just in case someone manages to make things happen quicker than the 2 working days the support offers...).
1) Is it possible to have my 2007 license back? I am not asking for both. One would be enough. The way this licensing works is disruptive.
2) While waiting on that, does any of you know who would it be possible to add up that TM into my Studio workflow?

Thanks in advance!

Enrico
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Downgrade to Win7? Apr 14, 2017

I still use Win7 on my work computer and everything works. What do you need Win10 for?

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because... Apr 14, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I still use Win7 on my work computer and everything works. What do you need Win10 for?

Because (as a beta tester) privacy issues aside, Windows 10 operates in a much better manner than 7 does, at least for me, and it's faster.

But this is irrelevant. This is a problem of 2007 license going missing and the Studio 2017 function that should cater for that specific job being broken, since i have tested with at least 10 different TMs sent by my customer and none of them works. It's not the only part of 2017 that's broken and doesn't work but it is one i need. Windows is hardly the issue.

On a Friday it is really something you don't want to see.

[Edited at 2017-04-14 08:46 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PROBLEM SOLVED Apr 14, 2017

Following up on this, a few hours after i had sent a support request to SDL an operator immediately reactivated ALL licenses.

I consider it a huge improvement compared to previous instances.

So kudos to SDL and thanks a lot for allowing me to keep working with minimal disruption.

Enrico

fatima stigliani
fatima stigliani  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:34
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Trados 2017 crashing over and over again Nov 9, 2017

my operating system is windows 10 which came included with my Dell notebook i7 five months ago.
However the perfect machine operation and Trados 2017 and Windows duly updated my Trados goes on crashing and crashing...It is a recurrent issue..I would like to hear some opinion or if anyone is facing the same terrible issue. Thanks a lot!!

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Crashes Nov 9, 2017

fatima stigliani wrote:

my operating system is windows 10 which came included with my Dell notebook i7 five months ago.
However the perfect machine operation and Trados 2017 and Windows duly updated my Trados goes on crashing and crashing...It is a recurrent issue..I would like to hear some opinion or if anyone is facing the same terrible issue. Thanks a lot!!

Status update on this is that is that I have some crashes but they are not the major issue. The major issue is that I find the Cat inherently broken. From term recognition to QA checks, to issues with ANYtm functions etc. Also, it requires too much maintenance to work. I spend more time fixing things than using it and it's negatively affecting my bottom line. Maybe it's not very technical as an explanation but I am tired of looking for solutions. Finally, it is too slow. Cumulatively, a waste of hours

[Edited at 2017-11-10 09:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The chain reaction between Windows 10 Creators Update - Trados 2007 and Studio 2017's bugs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »