JW Narins
JW Narins  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:58
Member (2015)
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2017

I translate RuEn and Ukr>En in a number of very different areas: legal, journalistic, literary (high), literary (pop), and more.

I've just moved from Studio 2015 to Studio 2017.

I want to use it as an opportunity to improve upon my rather haphazard use of the CAT tool.

I'm thinking bringing over the files, reviewing them, and making a project TM for each specific project, so i'll have a set of relatively small, thematically focused, "granular" TMs, so that
... See more
I translate RuEn and Ukr>En in a number of very different areas: legal, journalistic, literary (high), literary (pop), and more.

I've just moved from Studio 2015 to Studio 2017.

I want to use it as an opportunity to improve upon my rather haphazard use of the CAT tool.

I'm thinking bringing over the files, reviewing them, and making a project TM for each specific project, so i'll have a set of relatively small, thematically focused, "granular" TMs, so that for any new project I can combine them to have a focused choice of TMs.

But perhaps that's wrong and I'm thinking of TMs like autosuggest dictionaries...

In short, my goal is simple enough: to use whatever resources are available to maximize the number of suggestions I get while typing (I'm especially looking forward to the idea of TM unit fragments being a suggestion source) - and then have it be rich enough that I'll want to cut down the sources contributing those suggestions to leave a manageable number of maximally relevant suggestions.

Any and all advice (the more detailed, the better) would be appreciated.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on Organizing TMs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »