Problem with foreign characters being treated as separate words.
Thread poster: ScanTran
ScanTran
ScanTran
Local time: 19:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2017

I've been translating a Swedish book in Studio 2011 from a docx source. I first noticed that some lines would end in a Swedish character ä,ö,or å, where the character was actually in the middle of the word. So, the word "fråga" for example could be shown as frå at the end of a line, with the next line starting with ga.

Then I noticed that the word count seemed to be wrong and realised that Studio was treating Swedish characters as separate words. Thus, the word "översätt
... See more
I've been translating a Swedish book in Studio 2011 from a docx source. I first noticed that some lines would end in a Swedish character ä,ö,or å, where the character was actually in the middle of the word. So, the word "fråga" for example could be shown as frå at the end of a line, with the next line starting with ga.

Then I noticed that the word count seemed to be wrong and realised that Studio was treating Swedish characters as separate words. Thus, the word "översättare", for example, would be treated as four words, ö-vers-ä-ttare.

When I look at my TM, there are tags all over the place, before and after these Swedish characters in every case, which is making it very difficult to use for concordance searches.

I have tried saving the file in different formats without any results.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Collapse

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 20:31
English to German
Converted file? Apr 27, 2017

Was your file converted from pdf by any chance? If so, you will have to tidy up the formatting of the Word file, I'm afraid. I found this thread, which might help:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/197234-tags_in_trados_2009.html

In addition to what Jerzy suggests, you may also want to make sure the font colour is the same througho
... See more
Was your file converted from pdf by any chance? If so, you will have to tidy up the formatting of the Word file, I'm afraid. I found this thread, which might help:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/197234-tags_in_trados_2009.html

In addition to what Jerzy suggests, you may also want to make sure the font colour is the same throughout the file/within each sentence. I've had a few conversions where special characters had a different colour (grey instead of black), for whatever reason.
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:31
German to Turkish
+ ...
Turkish Apr 27, 2017

I use the program occasionally with Turkish source and target texts. In Turkish, the following letters are different than in Englisch: ç, ı, ğ, ö, ş, ü.

I have never experienced such a problem with doc files. On the other hand, similar problems occur with powerpoint files both in Studio 2011 and in memoQ 2015. When applicable, I select all the file and change the font to something else and then beck to the original. This solves the problem. However, if you have many font types
... See more
I use the program occasionally with Turkish source and target texts. In Turkish, the following letters are different than in Englisch: ç, ı, ğ, ö, ş, ü.

I have never experienced such a problem with doc files. On the other hand, similar problems occur with powerpoint files both in Studio 2011 and in memoQ 2015. When applicable, I select all the file and change the font to something else and then beck to the original. This solves the problem. However, if you have many font types in your file, this would be not feasible.

Perhaps you can try with a short portion of the file and if it works, you can ask your customer to adjust the fonts.

Elif
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with foreign characters being treated as separate words.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »