Can I handle Madcap Lingo files using SDL Trados 2017?
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 12:50
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
May 23, 2017

Hello everyone,

Would anyone happen to know if I can handle Madcap Lingo files using SDL Trados 2017? I looked online but can't seem to find a definite answer to my question. Any help would be much appreciated!

Alain

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:50
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
You can export XLIFF files from Lingo... May 24, 2017

... and then process them in Studio. I assume that you are dealing with Lingo files you received from someone else who first got the files from Flare. But if you have access to the Flare project, you should try the file type definition for madcap flare free application, which seems to be more straightforward.

I just noticed that so far the appli
... See more
... and then process them in Studio. I assume that you are dealing with Lingo files you received from someone else who first got the files from Flare. But if you have access to the Flare project, you should try the file type definition for madcap flare free application, which seems to be more straightforward.

I just noticed that so far the application is intended for Studio 2011 and 2014. Anyway you should try.

Saludos

[Edited at 2017-05-24 02:10 GMT]
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:50
German to English
MadCap Lingo xlf files May 24, 2017

I receive jobs from one client that uses MadCap Lingo and they send me the xlf files in the original tree structure. I have no problems translating the files with Studio 2017 and my client confirms each job has been successfully reimported into Lingo. You must just make sure that the language pairs are exactly the same, for example US-English from Lingo will not work in a Studio project with GB-English, apparently in Lingo it is very easy to miss this.

As Jorge said, there is an xli
... See more
I receive jobs from one client that uses MadCap Lingo and they send me the xlf files in the original tree structure. I have no problems translating the files with Studio 2017 and my client confirms each job has been successfully reimported into Lingo. You must just make sure that the language pairs are exactly the same, for example US-English from Lingo will not work in a Studio project with GB-English, apparently in Lingo it is very easy to miss this.

As Jorge said, there is an xliff (MadCap Flare) file type for xlf files, which I did install for Studio 2015, but I haven't installed it for Studio 2017 and the xlf file type does appear in the file type list. So I'm unsure if it was automatically migrated during installation or if it is now part of 2017.

Best.

Ben
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I handle Madcap Lingo files using SDL Trados 2017?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »