Dvelasco
Dvelasco
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 24, 2017

Hello everyone,

I hope you are are alright.

I would like to ask you a question just in case any of you can help me.

A few months ago, I had to convert a few termbases in .xls to .sdltb. For some of the entries, there was sometimes 2 or 3 different terms in one of the languages. The best result I achieved was this:

http://imgur.com/a/IdkGk

The client has two different companies and wants both terms to appear in the Term Recognition window for the translator to pick the one that he/she should. However, this way isn't too useful because after pressing enter when the term is suggested, it pastes with the company name on it.

I've tried the descriptive fields, but those don't appear in the Term Recognition window (which is the one who is really useful to the translator).

I don't know if I was clear enough. Could anyone please help me here?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards.

[Edited at 2017-05-24 08:15 GMT]

sam@fr-uk
sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:26
French to English
Displaying descriptive fields May 24, 2017

Dvelasco wrote:

I've tried the descriptive fields, but those don't appear in the Term Recognition window (which is the one who is really useful to the translator).

Hi. The Term Recognition window can display your descriptive fields, but you have to select them first, as follows:

1) In the Editor, click on 'Hitlist settings' (third icon) under 'Term recognition'.

2) In the box displayed, click on the 'Select Fields...’ button.

3) You’ll now see a list of your termbases together with all their fields. Select the fields you need and they'll appear in the Term Recognition window.

Hope this helps.

Dvelasco
Dvelasco
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Term recognition May 24, 2017

sam@fr-uk wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hello Sam,

Thank you very much for your help. I've already tried that and whatever I write in the field does appear in the Term Recognition view. However, what I can't do is make the field name appear. For example, if the field name is "Company 2" and inside the field I write "Example", the only thing that appears is "Example", so there's no way to know to what company does the term belong.

Best regards,

David.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:26
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 options May 24, 2017

You can rename your field to "Company" and the contents can be "Company 1" or "Company 2". Or you can create 2 termbases, one for each company, which I think will simplify things a lot, especially when inserting the terms because you don't have to check which is the approved term by which company.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple terms in each entry

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »